+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Workstation VLAN Tagging in Technical; Hi I have tried to use tagging on a workstation but it still doesn't work on any other vlans apart ...

Thank Post

Workstation VLAN Tagging

Hi

I have tried to use tagging on a workstation but it still doesn't work on any other vlans apart from the default one.

Has anyone else had any problems with using vlan tagging on workstations?

Switch had the other VLAN tagged and I've added the VLAN number into the driver properties in Windows 7. Tried a Realtek card and a intel desktop CT card with no luck.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Assume of course it's correctly set up at the switch end? (usually just untagged to default vlan)
    And out of interest, why would you be trying set up tagging on a station? Quite unusual.

Thank Post
    default vlan is untagged and additional vlan is tagged

the PCs were originally setup for use by the community, so they used a different filtering schema than the rest of the school (it was the old ADMIN vlan supplied by CLEO). We now wish to use them for school use as well.

So I thought it would be an easy method of setting up dual boot (community and school) so that each instance of windows was setup differently and that the school instance used the default vlan whilst the community instance used the ADMIN / additional vlan.

the switch itself is a HP Procurve 2626 and I have tried a HP Procurve 2610-48 with the same result - it will not accept being put on the additional vlan

when I create a vlan in either the Intel or Realtek software, it creates an additional NIC. The original NIC properties is empty whereas the additional NIC has all the usual properties, and its in there I set the IP address needed.

I have even tried setting the additional vlan as the default, but when I try and set the vlan to the school network it doesnt pick up DHCP.

Any other ideas you can think of to achieve the required setup? we dont want the community to have access to our school network.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I could be mistaken (and hopefully some more knowledgeable guys would correct me if so) but I would imagine a switch wouldn't know how to handle that sort of setup. As far as the switch is concerned, there's only one PC with one NIC and therefore one MAC address. By default, and certainly the case on a 2626, the switch will not do dynamic vlans therefore it'll probably get mightily confused with that sort of going on - host tables and the likes. Although it's quite possible for most filtering systems to do so by subnet/vlan, it would be easier certainly to do filtering by user/AD group which shouldn't matter what windows is installed on the system.
    I certainly wouldn't trust tagging to a workstation unless you needed to, much less so when there's multiple OS's on the same box.

Thank Post
    The filtering that I wanted to use was the filtering at the ISP, so separate from AD. I thought vlan tagging was simple to use and secure.

I might have have to implement a separate proxy server for the account for the community. Something I didn't want to do

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    More than likely. May be worth speaking to someone at the ISP (is it via your local authority?) and see if they have any ideas. Usually there would be something locally which would handle AD integration or vlan traffic.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I have just got back into work today....Lancs NGfL don't support AD integration, so it looks like another internal proxy

Thank Post
    Its its one PC and one NIC then you need to make sure that the NIC is capable of support vlans, you'll need to tag all the vlans that you want to use on the switch and then at the PC end enable vlan tagging. Intel cards have pro set software that allows you to do this, not sure about others.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanks. Both the on-board NIC and I have also tried a Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter with no success. The additional VLANs were tagged on the switch but it didn't seem to work

Quote Originally Posted by spc-rocket View Post
    Its its one PC and one NIC then you need to make sure that the NIC is capable of support vlans, you'll need to tag all the vlans that you want to use on the switch and then at the PC end enable vlan tagging. Intel cards have pro set software that allows you to do this, not sure about others.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,668 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing you could try would be 802.11x to put the machine in a van then setting a different Mac address in the driver of the second boot partition so the switch assigns it to the nessisary van.

Thank Post
    You mean when changing the VLAN on the NIC, give it another MAC Address? Never tried that, but how would I know the MAC Address I give it is unique?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenmcginnis View Post
    You mean when changing the VLAN on the NIC, give it another MAC Address? Never tried that, but how would I know the MAC Address I give it is unique?
    You would not change the van on the card, the switch would assign that port to a different undated vlan when it detected it, there are stacks of Mac addresses and they only need to be unique on your local unrouted network, your chances of hitting another one are remote but you can check against a list exported from your dhcp server to make sure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by SYNACK; 2nd September 2013 at 10:19 AM.

Thank Post
    I got lost after the first post lol, I think I will go down the additional proxy route lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is a way better tutorial link on setting it up with procures and 2008 NPS Configuring Dynamic VLAN assignment on ProCurve switches | integrating IT

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast