+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Backup device advice needed. in Technical; Morning people. I am in the market for a new backup device to replace our DAT drive which isn't big ...

Thank Post

Backup device advice needed.

Morning people.

I am in the market for a new backup device to replace our DAT drive which isn't big enough.

My other server has a AIT-2 Turbo which I am pretty happy with but thats getting to its limit so I'd like to swap the drives over and buy a bigger tape drive.

I've been looking at the DLT-V4 drives which are nice and cheap and say they do 160/320 backups but the tapes I've seen only state 80/160 which confuses me. Anyone using them?

I may go for a 2 tier backup and just get another AIT-2 Turbo drive and then by a NAS to use with Shadow copy.

The main server has around 120Gb to backup, I like to do full backups every night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had time to have a good luck as my GFI has lost all its settings after an upgrade and my license has run out

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Re: Backup device advice needed.

LTO Ultriums are what I go for for large systems, and DAT72i's in smaller locations, never seem to have used DLTs, always been a DAT or LTO person for some reason.

With LTOs you can get over 1TB on a tape now with the new LTO4

Thank Post

I'm buying 1TB caddied SATA 2 harddrives for backup, with a simple script to copy files. Could also look at using rsynch.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have a 2TB NAS (well, 1.4 ish when formatted and RAID'd) box which stores our backups. Combined with Backup Exec 11d, it is a good system.

We also have a couple of Western Digital Mybook premium 500GB drives for weekly offsite backups and yearly archives.

Thank Post

Reference for NAS box required

Would appreciate makes and Models of NAS devices as have looked at a few on offer but have reservations about backup speed compared with purchase price. For example Buffalo do a nice and cheap NAS Buffalo Tera station Pro II 3 TB configured with Raid 5 for approx £850. But have heard that it is dire at doing large backups too.

Any suggestions or info on good NAS boxes for preferably not a lot of dosh would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    I would never touch hdd backups.

There mechnical, so they can go wrong. Ideally you want something offsite, removable.

Offsite - Site burns down

Removable - Virus

Nearest thing to a HDD backup I use is SFTP\FTPS to a remote server, which still gets backed up to tape daily (UK VDS (Virtual Servers) - without compromise)

Thank Post
    We use a netgear 4Tb for our backup. I cant see anything wrong with it. We have had it since easter and every backup has been successful. We were backing up to Raid 5 1tb before this and this only crashed once, in 3 years.

They get my vote!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I would never touch hdd backups.

There mechnical, so they can go wrong. Ideally you want something offsite, removable.

Offsite - Site burns down

Removable - Virus

Nearest thing to a HDD backup I use is SFTP\FTPS to a remote server, which still gets backed up to tape daily (UK VDS (Virtual Servers) - without compromise)
    Because backup to HDD is so quick when compared to tape, it's often the only way you have enough time to backup all the data on large storage arrays within the overnight time period (as you don't really want backups running during the day) Once you have your backup to HDD, you can then back this up to tape during the day, so you have a removeable backup to store safely.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Because backup to HDD is so quick when compared to tape, it's often the only way you have enough time to backup all the data on large storage arrays within the overnight time period (as you don't really want backups running during the day) Once you have your backup to HDD, you can then back this up to tape during the day, so you have a removeable backup to store safely.

Mike.
    Yes, but there seems to be a trend to utilise HDD as the media for offsite storage, because of the perceived cost of tape.

I mentioned in another post that this really isn't where things are heading in industry. The situaiton you describe is D2D2T which is ideal and now very commonly used....but many schools are just doing local D2D.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread