+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Ground Loop ( Lenovo T430 + 23 inch Lenovo Screen connected via VGA ) in Technical; In the roll out phase of swapping users from desktops to laptops + one external screen as per the title, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts

Ground Loop ( Lenovo T430 + 23 inch Lenovo Screen connected via VGA )

In the roll out phase of swapping users from desktops to laptops + one external screen as per the title, I think I haven narrowed the issue down to a ground loop ( however cutting or disconnecting the earth wire from one of the mains plugs for either the monitor or laptop is not going to happen due to obvious health and safety reasons.

Linky here - External monitor flicker, laptop ground loop problem solved | Countdown to critical mass mrgnome.wordpress.com

Found this as well : http://voices.yahoo.com/rid-yourself...92.html?cat=15

Although purchasing at least a few hundred universal ac adaptors is going to be out of the question and as above getting an adaptor or removing the earth / ground wire is not an option either.

Basically it is causing issues on the external monitor when you have the laptop plugged in via mains ( using the original official laptop mains power supply / charger )

The only other suggestion I have seen and reading on forums has not helped is to use or try a thicker shielded vga cable ( the 23" monitors we are using also have HDMI and mini display port or display port connectors as well as vga )

I think we are ordering in a few cables to try the display port to hdmi and see if that helps with the ground loop issue which is causing the shimmering / refresh rate issue

Just wanted to know if there was anything I could get or do to sort out the ground loop issue ( I think there was a post on edugeek a year or two ago ref ground loop but effecting audio not video , where as for us it is effecting the video output on the external monitor )

Any idea on what was used to get rid of the ground loop issue for the audio ? Just wondering if a similar device could help us out ref the external display whilst said laptop is connected via mains.
    @Arthur, @Millgate or anyone else ?

Monitor Model : lt2223pwc - user guide --> http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...223p_ug_en.pdf
    Laptop Model Number : 2349KQ1
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 30th July 2013 at 05:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Which model of T430's is it - We have loads of these here and non of them do this.

You may find its actually the drivers you have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    the 23" monitors we are using also have HDMI and display port connectors as well as vga
    Using HDMI or DisplayPort would definitely be preferable to VGA.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Any idea on what was used to get rid of the ground loop issue for the audio?
    Is that for the laptop speakers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Using HDMI or DisplayPort would definitely be preferable to VGA.

Is that for the laptop speakers?
    1.) ok

2.) I think it was for laptop speakers

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Which model of T430's is it - We have loads of these here and non of them do this.

You may find its actually the drivers you have.
    2349KQ1 is the exact model number of the T430's we are using and I am using the driver which came on a cd with the monitor so device manager shows the correct monitor instead of generic monitor and as for drivers I use lenovo system updater to update all drivers / bios etc excluding active protection and a few other apps that we don't need

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread