+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, USB Drives Survey in Technical; Anybody know a way to stop music being copyed from them (USB sticks) to the network home drives. I keep ...
    Thank Post

Re: USB Drives Survey

Anybody know a way to stop music being copyed from them (USB sticks) to the network home drives. I keep having to clean them up. Which I can do with a script but I'd much rather not have them in the first place. As it would stop the students (and staff) using expecsive computers to share crap music around. (For genre information delete the C)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

You need the Administrators NAsty File Search curtesy of EduGeek. Goto the downloads section and help yourself.

Thank Post

or my script which can be run at logoff in verbose mode (hence displaying a lovely list of files as they are deleted )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man
    Anybody know a way to stop music being copyed from them (USB sticks) to the network home drives. I keep having to clean them up. Which I can do with a script but I'd much rather not have them in the first place. As it would stop the students (and staff) using expecsive computers to share crap music around. (For genre information delete the C)
    We use Veritas Storage Exec to manage our disk quotas. The nice thing about Storage Exec is that it lets you stop certain file types being uploaded onto your network shares. We have a policy in place that stops them putting on media files, executables and scripts on there. They're only allowed to put on documents. It costs about £600 for a single licence iirc.

Thank Post

That kind of functionality is coming in with 2003 R2 I believe so that will be nice to have those functions natively.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

True, however the problem with 2k3 R2's implementation is that it uses the file extension to check the file and nothing else. Storage Exec (if you want it to) can check the file and make sure it is what it says it is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

True with the R2 only looking at the extention, but how many little darlings are going to figure that one out before the release of Longhorn Server which will (so I have been told) be intelligent like the Veritas solution?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

@Face-Man
    Focusing on the HomeDrives, This can be accomplished using Samba. Samba sits between the real (*nix) filesystem and windows so you can use it to veto, delete or even hide certain files. This would prevent kids from renaming files and allow you to block music, batch files etc. in your smb.conf:
    Code:
    veto files = /*.mp3/*.vbs/
    The samba approach is the most elegant IMHO because there is a huge amount of flexibility. For example the Recycle VFS module will redirect deleted files and can be used as a 'recycle' bin for homedirectories, it can vscan particular files, give sensible pre-defined audits of files, set quotas, distributed filesystem and lots more. Samba also benchmarks faster than 2k server !

Alternatively, some antivirus solutions will prevent pre-defined extensions from being stored on an NTFS filesystem. McAfee (server) certainly does. in general windows needs an awful lot of expensive add-ons to get it to function as an SMB server as well as samba can.

http://us5.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...WTO-Collection

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    True with the R2 only looking at the extention, but how many little darlings are going to figure that one out before the release of Longhorn Server which will (so I have been told) be intelligent like the Veritas solution?
    When I was at school it would have been the first thing I tried. I was always the one trying to get around software restriction policies and the like. I would have hated me

Once one kid works out how to get around a restriction, it spreads around the school like wildfire.

In any case, when is Longhorn server actually going to be available? I know Vista is just a few months away but Longhorn Server is a little further away isn't it? It took MS about 18 months to release 2k3 after XP came out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    When I was at school it would have been the first thing I tried. I was always the one trying to get around software restriction policies and the like. I would have hated me
    Tell me about it. I often hear the phrase 'Poacher became the Game Keeper'.

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    In any case, when is Longhorn server actually going to be available? I know Vista is just a few months away but Longhorn Server is a little further away isn't it? It took MS about 18 months to release 2k3 after XP came out.
    Realistically, I don't think we'll see Vista until 2007. I don't expect Longhorn Server until 2008/9. I expect XP will get a facelift and a service pack. 2k3 server will probably get lots of Longhorn Server features backported to it.

Thank Post

Our kids are OK with MP3s now...the script that erases them on the CCTV server every night made them give up. Now they just stay on the MP3 players.

However, we have 5 students who are devious little gits..portable web server on the USB pens, running a "proxify" script to bypass SWS security and filtering, and portable Firefox as a web browser instead of IE.

Seriously considering going "USB OFF" via GP, and having it only for teachers and IT Admin. That way the kids would have to come to us for work copying, giving me the chance to filter what's what.

It IS a pain, but it's also inventive...as you say, we'd have done this once..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You might want to look at the software restriction policies in the GPO's and restrict where students can run software from.

On the whole though, by definition, you can't win an arms race.

Thank Post

The NGFL have Lan Licenser waiting to roll, but it's an arse. It'd stop so much that we use..let alone the kids!

GPO alterations to knock out student USB/CD though is a definite possibility. It'd stop the MP3 players being loaded from here then too..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That might be going a bit too far m8. Like Geoff suggests, using a software restriction policy (assuming you're running XP workstations) seems to be the better solution. At least then you can make the PCs only run stuff thats in the Windows or Program Files directories which can't be written to unless you have admin priviledges. Doubtless someone will find a way round it but at least it will stop them running executables and scripts from memory sticks and CDs but still let them transport work home.

Thank Post

Keeping on the theme of the world of USB sticks, does anyone have a nice bit of script or a program that warns the user their USB stick is still inserted when they logout / shutdown the PC? Quite often here we build up a collection of sticks left behind, or we have the odd student who has forgotton their stick and someone else has nicked it for themselves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12