+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, So....I need to buy a replacement SAN/NAS this week. in Technical; Personally I'd go EMC. The VNX series is quite a nice piece of kit. When getting quotes make sure to ...

Thank Post
    Personally I'd go EMC. The VNX series is quite a nice piece of kit. When getting quotes make sure to tell them they're competing against NetApp, Dell and HP. They'll drop the prices quicker than you can blink to win the business .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    A couple of months ago and had been using since the very early days of the 7110 all you have to do is search here and you will find that I once was happy but it gradually got less and less happy to the point I wouldn't even consider them anymore.

Maybe you have better support from Oracle, maybe they have no interest in the UK Market. Certainly for UK I would not consider one and would be looking at EMC.
    Seems to be strong support in the UK for EMC. Not so much here. Maybe EMC doesn't care much about the Aussie market, much as it sounds Oracle doesn't in UK. Well, that's why I always suggest people get demo units before they commit, especially with equipment that costs north of 15k.

Thank Post
    Hi Pete
    What did you go for in the end? And if its been installed how is it going?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    So glad to hear a rational argument. And of course my Sun/Oracle kit breaks down every other week, that's part of the fun in owning it ;-)
    Your arguing with people who have already been bitten by oracle once... badly and are now twice shy (or maybe 10 times shy, in my case).

No argument no matter how rational or well presented, would ever convince me to touch anything from oracle with a barge poll. I got so fed up with poor performance that I repurposed my 7110s as Vmware ESXi boxes and they're still going strong (and reliably) now that the Sun/Oracel software is long gone (whilst I was doing this I discovered that the 7110s used software raid, which explains to me why write perfromance was so bad with no cache).

The Sun hardware was exceptional, the software was mediocre but improving slowly, the support good from sun, appaling from oracle.

I strongly do not reccomend anyone on edugeek buy any oracle storage devices under pain of dissapointment, hideous long term expense and risk of downtime.

My2p(tm)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Your arguing with people who have already been bitten by oracle once... badly and are now twice shy (or maybe 10 times shy, in my case).
    My2p(tm)
    Was that meant to be a binary pun / joke or am I mis-reading that ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    No argument no matter how rational or well presented, would ever convince me to touch anything from oracle with a barge poll.
    The worst car that I've ever owned in my 25 years of driving (and I've owned 14 cars) was a VW Jetta. That thing overheated and broke down on me so often that I found the Bus to be far more reliable and quicker for any trip longer than 15 minutes. Would I ever own a VW again? Yes, because I know that it was an outlier, a lemon and that the broader experience of people buying VWs is much different than my individual experience appeared to belie. Those who have problems often voice their dissatisfaction much more often and louder than those with good experiences with the same products as well, so making judgements based on the noise coming from a few customers of a product is a bad way to make a decision.

I got so fed up with poor performance that I repurposed my 7110s as Vmware ESXi boxes and they're still going strong (and reliably) now that the Sun/Oracel software is long gone (whilst I was doing this I discovered that the 7110s used software raid, which explains to me why write perfromance was so bad with no cache).
    It appears that you purchased your 7110 without an understanding of what you were buying. It is generally a VERY bad idea to use hardware RAID in conjunction with ZFS. The ZFS handles all of the RAID functions and a hardware RAID controller will only get in the way and possible cause corruption. It also makes the hardware RAID controller a single point of failure in the system. So, of course the 7110 uses software RAID, that is what you are getting with ZFS, which is by the way one of the best if not THE best file and RAID systems on the planet. Here's a little example of what makes ZFS so good - Suns's ZFS Demo - YouTube

Now, as to poor performance, well that all depends on what you were using it for. The 7110 only has 8GB of RAM and no write caches. So, it has very little RAM to use as ARC and no upgradeability for write caches. That is a limitation on the 7110, but if you know what you're doing when spec'ing and configuring your systems (e.g. deciding on RAID level used) you would take that into account. In my case, the 7110 running in RAIDZ2 was perfectly fine until I went over 15 VM servers and 300 clients (now at 25 servers and 600 clients) at which point I had to reconfigure the raid as a mirror (resulting in much less storage space) until I recently needed to upgrade to a more suitable unit. That wasn't a problem with the 7110 per se, just that our growth far exceeded my expectations over a 3 1/2 year period. Our new 7320 has 96GB of RAM and two ZeusIOPS write caches and it blew the doors off of other equivalently priced SAN systems that I tested. So, to say that the Sun/Oracle 7000 series SANS exhibit poor performance is not the reality. Like any other system, you have to spec it for the requirements or you will be disappointed. Perhaps you were sold the 7110 by unscrupulous or ignorant salesman who lied to you, I don't know.

The Sun hardware was exceptional, the software was mediocre but improving slowly, the support good from sun, appaling from oracle.

I strongly do not reccomend anyone on edugeek buy any oracle storage devices under pain of dissapointment, hideous long term expense and risk of downtime.

My2p(tm)
    I agree, the sun hardware is exceptional, which is why I have used it for the past 15+ years. I have also used Dell, HP, IBM, and SuperMicro hardware which was generally quite good, but just not at the same level as Sun.

I also agree with the initial state of the s7000 (Fishworks) software in 2009 and early 2010. Since then though, the software has ranged from quite good to excellent now. The initial transition from Sun or Oracle did cause a bit of support hell, but it has been quite good the past couple of years (at least as good as I've experienced from HP and better than the mediocre support from VMWare).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123