+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, RAID controller drive drop out weirdness in Technical; We have an RM Server fitted with an LSI MegaRAID SAS 830ELP controller. There are 4 drives, 3 configured as ...

Thank Post

RAID controller drive drop out weirdness

We have an RM Server fitted with an LSI MegaRAID SAS 830ELP controller. There are 4 drives, 3 configured as a RAID5 and one global hotswap.

Last week the controller started beeping, we looked at the logs and the drive in slot 0 come up as: Foreign (Unconfigured) Good. While we investigated I swapped the drive with an identical spare. We tested the drive which dropped out using chkdsk and it came back fine so we configured it as a global hot spare in slot 3.

This week the new replacement drive in slot 0 has come up as: Foreign (Unconfigured) Good and the hot spare has jumped in to action.

I've taken the side off the server to see if there are any cables to slot 0 but it's all plugged directly in to a daughter board in the front and a single chunky cable going to a PCI type slot at the back.

I don't really want to think it, but if it happens one more time in my mind I'm going to have to buy a new RAID controller and rebuild the server.

Before it happens though, has anyone got any suggestions or other things to check?
    Also, will I have to rebuild the server from backups or is there a non destructive method?

Thank Post
    Any firmware updates available for the LSI?

You also need to see if there are any S.M.A.R.T predicted errors as they may be causing problems.

I would be looking at getting a new host and P2Ving the server

Rob

Thank Post
    Cheers Rob.

I'll make a note of the firmware version when I'm over there next week and see what the LSI website reckons.

As much as I'd like to buy a couple of new servers and P2V them, my main project at the moment is trying to find the money to get on to W7.

Thank Post
    SATA desktop drives?

Enterprise and Near Enterprise drives support Time-Limited Error Recovery ("TLER") Desktop drives do not.
    As a non-TLER HDD fills up with data, the error detection firmware might take too long, and the RAID controller may drop that HDD from a RAID array.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread