+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Lenovo ThinkPad T410 ( Replace DC IN Cable ) in Technical; Hi All I have the below Link : System board, DC-in connector cable, and ExpressCard slot assembly removal and installation ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,016 Posts

Lenovo ThinkPad T410 ( Replace DC IN Cable )

Hi All

I have the below Link :

System board, DC-in connector cable, and ExpressCard slot assembly removal and installation - ThinkPad T410, T410i

Instructions on how to replace the DC IN Cable ( at least that is the purpose I will be using them for )

Although Just wanted to know if anyone had a better guide with photos / step by step or better yet a good youtube video etc instead of having to click on different links to different pages for each set of instructions and with only the sketches that they have.

I have replaced the DC IN cable / system board for a T400 but not done it on a T410.

Thank Post
    @Arthur - bump or anyone else ?

Thank Post
    Don't know if this is any different to what you've got: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...63y0535_01.pdf

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    Don't know if this is any different to what you've got: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...63y0535_01.pdf
    That's similar. You have to jump between the different sections of the hmm

As apposed to ifixit type guide where you click next between the pages and each step has an illustrated photo showing what screws go where, how many and what type / length etc

Thank Post
    Last edited by VeryPC_Tom_M; 17th July 2013 at 01:37 PM.

6. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

mac_shinobi (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    @VeryPC_Tom_M

The first video I know how to do that as far as removing the memory bay cover / keyboard etc

The second video is great although goes through it too fast but better than nothing I suppose.

I did this on a T400 and basically removed the Battery and disconnected the mains charger lead ( so no power to the laptop ), only power source in the laptop is literally the CMOS Battery

1.) Screws for the keyboard - put those into one pile ( remove the keyboard and if possible the palm rest )
    2.) Removed the hard drive bay + 1 screw - in a seperate pile
    3.) Removed the screws for both hinges and put the screws for each hinge together in there own piles ( 3 for left and 3 for right I believe )
    4.) Then removed the screws that are around the docking connector and put these in a seperate pile
    5.) Then removed the remainder screws from the underside and placed these on the same desk but place them in a certain order so I know roughly where they came from ( similar location on the table in relation to the other screws )

6.) Then turn the laptop over and open it up so I am looking at the laptops screen and can see all the items under the keyboard so heatsink, any relevant pci-e type cards so WLAN, WAN etc

It is from this point that I need to see a guide so I don't mix up the tiny screws that hold the PCI-E Cards in place, the metal brackets if any etc etc obviously you have to disconnect the antennae cable for the WLAN and WAN Cards, unscrew any metal plates that ensure the keyboard sits flushly and does not wobble and then disconnect the display cable ( connects the screens vga type connector into the motherboard )

I had to un-do about 4 or so screws to release the heatsink, take this out which is one unit ( heatsink + Fan )

Then once all that is out along with the optical drive ( which you can take out the optical drive at any point ) is from what I can gather just a case of seperating the metal cage that holds the motherboard and also makes them a bit sturdier from the exterior plastic case of the laptop so you can flip the metal cage around to un do the one screw that holds the DC IN Cable to the metal cage, swap the DC IN Cable for the working one, and reverse all the steps to put said laptop back together again.

Also not sure if you need to remove those 2 metal screws ( the vga ones ) to remove the motherboard in order to swap the DC IN cable. Going from memory as far as the above steps so may have missed out a few bits.

I refer to it as the metal cage although it may be a different material ie strong plastic or something else ??

Anyway thanks for the help - if you find any better videos / guides etc feel free to post them.

** NOTE **Before anyone says about doing this under warranty, the laptops I am repairing / replacing parts on for the DC IN Cable / system board etc I only do if they are out of warranty. If they were in warranty I would have booked a call with said manufacturer to get said item(s) replaced / and or said laptop repaired

Thanks
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 17th July 2013 at 02:56 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread