+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, £3500 for 15 laptops in Technical; My head wants a new 15 computer suite - of laptops (space saving). The specs of the laptops need to ...
    kerrymoralee9280

£3500 for 15 laptops

My head wants a new 15 computer suite - of laptops (space saving).

The specs of the laptops need to be:

Windows XP Pro
    Wireless ready

simple as that, the rest doesn't really matter - Thing is I have been given £233 (ex VAT) to get them each (£4500 total for 15)

Can anybody help me out here?

Thank Post

Re: £3500 for 15 laptops

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
    There is a company that has a ad on here which might be good.
    ICT-direct. Depends if the laptops have to be brand new.

Thank Post

Do you have £3500 or £4500? You mention both. At £4500 you have a chance

kerrymoralee9280

Sorry, I did mention both - I think that must of been because I 'wished' I had £4500, but unfortunately the figure is £3500 to play with.

Yeah, sorry - Windows XP Pro, Wireless ready and they MUST be brand new. Forgot to mention that.

I saw some for about £240 on Misco but they had Windows Vista and I don't want to use Vista in the school yet. The cheapest XP Pro was £300 which is about 67 over budget.

(all figures ex VAT)

Thank Post

All I can say is - good luck!

Sorry but thats way below our price range. Also, the ones you saw with Windows Vista would more than likely have been Windows Vista Home Basic which I'd imagine isn't really suitable for you

I think you will struggle but if you do manage to succeed then let us know - we'll be interested to see what you can find

kerrymoralee9280

Well, I do have a few contacts that owed me so it's time to call in all the favours. I will be sure to keep you posted

Thank Post

Good luck with that budget! I wouldnt expect to get a quality laptop with any sort of durability built in for those prices

Expect a slow laptop that will more than likely break - and end up costing you more in the long run than a decent one would have!

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280
    Sorry, I did mention both - I think that must of been because I 'wished' I had £4500, but unfortunately the figure is £3500 to play with.

Yeah, sorry - Windows XP Pro, Wireless ready and they MUST be brand new. Forgot to mention that.

I saw some for about £240 on Misco but they had Windows Vista and I don't want to use Vista in the school yet. The cheapest XP Pro was £300 which is about 67 over budget.

(all figures ex VAT)
    Do you know if it is Window Vista Business, Ultimate or Enterprise Edition you can downgrade to Windows XP Pro for free?

Thank Post

You will be lucky to get anything for that price with XP Pro installed. If you could look at second user, you may be luckier.
    Are these machines to be housed in a trolley? If so is that included in your budget?
    I think you head is be very tight. I am afraid they see these deals on the TV or in a paper & think that the machines are suitable for school use. This really annoys me, they should leave it up to us to give them a price then they can decide what they can afford. Luckily I do have most of the say in what we get.
    Anyway, with this budget you need loads of luck to find 15 laptops with XP Pro.

Thank Post

Why can't the laptops be 'pre-owned' or ex-stock? You could save a considerable chunk of money and the gear that ICT Direct has is generally in very good condition. Just make sure you ask for stuff that is in excellent nick.

It is also worth considering the limitations of a wireless computer suite. You should put a written proposal to your head stating the costs of a trolley (if applicable), cost of additional access points and finally state how many laptops can be purchased with whatever funds remain.

PEO
    Thank Post

dont forget licences etc Give stone computers a ring there pretty good

kerrymoralee9280

Well, see, licenses is another thing I did mention and was shook off. It's not a trolley and I do realise what limitations they are. But I've been given a job to do and im going to try to do it.

All I can do is make it known to her the limitations and such, its her decision.

PEO
    Thank Post

yep thats the best you can do... The misco ones going for £233 with vista, you can take vista off and use xp, no harm in that. misco is looking pretty good for you at the moment.

Thank Post

It all depends on what version of Vista is installed on the Misco Machines, and for £233 I doubt that is going to be anything other than Vista Home Basic.

If it is Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium you will not be allowed to install Windows XP Pro (Which is what is needed)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd tell him to forget it because he isn't going to get anything of quality for that price. I once stormed out of a meeting when I told them I needed £16k total for a computer suite job and they turned round and said we had £12k to play with. We got the £16k. They just try it on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast