+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, £3500 for 15 laptops in Technical; Another thought: depending on what you actually need to do with the machines, and space available and so on, you ...

Thank Post

Re: £3500 for 15 laptops

Another thought: depending on what you actually need to do with the machines, and space available and so on, you might do better with one of those tables that you can wheel into a classroom and unfold into a half-a-dozen PC workstation, complete with keyboards and screens.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Hi,
    is it actually possible to buy a laptop for £230 (you said you needed 15 for £3500) with all the software that you need?? Has your head not considered another way of buying them so you can have decent equipment?

kerrymoralee9280

Again, it's all about money.

Here's the full scenario - to clear some questions because I forgot most of them hehe.

The head has found a fine and dandy space where she wants to place 15 computers (she specifically said laptops, but I'll leave it at computers). She wants 15 so that our current suite (of 15) increases to 30 and we can therefore fit a full class in at one time.

After looking at the space she has set aside (for a good 3 hours might I add), it's conclusive that laptops is the only way that we can get them all to fit. Not even all in one's would fit.

So, laptops in mind I instantly set a bench mark of £500 per machine (because I wanted those RM Mobile One's with the glass screens etc). To which she replied you can have £3500 to get it done (not in a nasty way, but in a "this is all I have got" way).

I realise laptops bring with them their limitations - like network speeds, but it also brings with it some advantages like not having to wire in another room.

The machine will be used mainly by year 5's and 6's and they really do have respect for the machines so I can't see them tearing them apart. We aren't using laptops because we need them to be mobile, but just to save space - therefore battery life is not a major thing as they will be plugged in 24/7 anyways.

I've got a quote coming back from Misco, and I'm really confident he will hit close to the spot. I will keep you all updated.

Thank Post

> We aren't using laptops because we need them to be mobile, but just to
    > save space

Buy second hand - Computer Resale in Cambridge have Windows XP Pro laptops available for £220 (and that includes VAT), I imagine the price is similar in other places. If the machines are static and have power plugged in then you can plug in network too.

--
    David Hicks

kerrymoralee9280

We can't plug in the network - as I've said that would require wiring. Wiring in an awkward place.

And as I've said - we don't want to buy second hand. It's one thing buying cheap brand new, but cheap second hand for a machine thats getting used everyday is not something we are prepared to do.

Thank Post

How often are they going to be using them?

kerrymoralee9280

There's a class on them every lesson of the day. That's from 9 through to half four

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,443 Posts

Surely the whole point if you buy second hand is that you can buy a machine that does everything you need that is possibly a better spec than you can buy new for less money?

If there isn't enough space then H&S comes into play as well have these aspects been considered?

If small enough desktops could be found why not run them with wireless cards?

Ben

Thank Post

some schools have given their pupils laptops and got the parents to fund it for them- not quite sure what the requirements are for it though- quite a cool idea??

kerrymoralee9280

Thanks Plexer, but I do understand the purpose of second hand gear - if it was for me, its a possibility. But its not, and its the heads choice. So first hand gear it is.

As for H+S, that's well beyond the point of this topic. But to answer the question - yes, it has been considered.

Desktops wouldn't fit, unless they were thin clients. And unfortunately that's another area we don't want to go down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,443 Posts

Ok in that case all I can say is good luck.

Thank Post

Have you got a school policy stating a min spec of computer in the school? I would be reluctant to be buying something you KNOW will not be up to the job. If this money is available now, is it also likely to be available next year too? Posssibility of leasing machines instead and get a better spec?

You have been asked to provide a price for cheap laptops, but like some others have said, it would also be usefull to provide a price for what YOU recommend. That way when they dont perform as well as the head hoped, you can cover yourself. And if they do peform well, you can take the credit for configuring everything so well

Thank Post

To be honest Kerry your mind seems to be firmly made up no matter what we say.

TCO - Total Cost of Ownership, it is no managment babble buzzword - it is real life. When you buy cheap equipment that you know is not up to the job, you end up with higher TCO. It's garunteed. You / the head may think your saving money now, but it will cost your school more over the next 5 years than you will probably realise

Andrew

Thank Post

I agree with Tech_Guy and others who have suggested that you should spec up what you can get for £3500 and then price up what you would rather spend on 15 laptops and present both of those to the Head. If you present a good case, you might be able to convince them that wherever they got the £3.5k figure from, it just isn't appropriate for the requirement.

Suggest that they either up the funding available, or if this isn't possible, discuss getting 10 decent laptops which will fit the purpose intended rather than getting 15 very expensive paperweights.

When we first got our IWBs, I was given £5k for 2 boards. After doing some research, I found that boards plus PCs plus licences plus cabling etc would be more like £6.5k, so presented this back to the Governors. The meeting ended with them saying "here's £10k, get 3"!

Also, in a$$-covering mode, at least if they do over-rule you and make you buy 15 for £3.5k, you can at least say "I told you so" when, a year from now, you have 15 doorstops.

Thank Post

> We can't plug in the network - as I've said that would require wiring.
    > Wiring in an awkward place.

Do you mean it's awkward to get wiring from your main network to the place where you want to place the machines? If so, I can understand why you want to use wireless. It might be an idea to get a wireless-to-ethernet adapter, plug that into a switch, and then plug the machines into that. That should stop 15 machines all trying to compete for the same wireless connection and reduce packet collisions.

> And as I've said - we don't want to buy second hand.

Depends how you mean by "second hand". Larger companies often ditch their hardware after 3 years (something to do with being able to write assests off against tax, I understand). Other companies now exist that take that hardware, refurbish, test and garuntee it (generally /except/ the laptop batteries!), then sell it on. 3 year old hardware will run Windows XP just fine.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast