+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Hardware Thread, Most/All screens 'flashing' in computer suite in Technical; Hi All, Have an issue with one of our computer suites. The majority of the screens flash on and off ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Most/All screens 'flashing' in computer suite

    Hi All,

    Have an issue with one of our computer suites.

    The majority of the screens flash on and off intermittently, some more than others, and some more often than others (seems to be more lately with the hot weather).

    This has been happening on and off for a while now. Sometimes we get reports of it happening now and again, but lately it has been happening more frequently (like said since the hot weather).

    I have a feeling it is a power issue myself (surely can't be monitor/computer problems? too much of a coincidence)

    FYI, there are 2/3 different brands/models of monitors in this room and all of the computer units are the same spec.

    Has anyone else come across something like this or similar or have an idea what it might be?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  2. #2

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,407
    Thank Post
    1,520
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    It could be that the monitors are on a phase of electric that maybe has a large device on it that is noisey perhaps?

  3. #3

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,266
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    It could be heat, electrics or possibly driver related - some chipsets with shared graphics running Win 7 sometimes appear glitchy, but it sounds to me an issue with the screens rather than the PCs themselves.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    It could be that the monitors are on a phase of electric that maybe has a large device on it that is noisey perhaps?
    Please explain? Do you mean the monitors could be plugged in to different sockets? If so that's not the case

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It could be heat, electrics or possibly driver related - some chipsets with shared graphics running Win 7 sometimes appear glitchy, but it sounds to me an issue with the screens rather than the PCs themselves.
    Forgot to say before the computers are currently still running Windows XP (only until the end of term). I think it has to be either a heat issue or electrics issue. Heat is a big problem in this computer suite, it is the one suite that we have no air con in (not that we havn't asked for it etc.)

    Think my first port of call then is going to be getting our site team to get an electrician to come and have a look then. Was just hoping someone else had an identical or similar issue which would narrow it down a bit more.

    Thanks both so far, Matt

  5. #5

    twin--turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    2,334
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 381 Times in 340 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Have you done any diagnostic work, like having an identiacl montor to plug in that's cold?

    What happens when you power cycle the monitor?

    What happens if you reboot the PC while the screen is flashing?

    What happens if you disconnecta and reconnect the vga?

    Tried pressing "Auto" to reset the display paramaters?

    Rob

  6. #6

    m25man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Romford, Essex
    Posts
    1,645
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 467 Times in 339 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Don't dismiss the capacitor issues that dogged so many monitors and PC's of a certain age... The Video going off/on or failing to initialise on boot was one of the first signs of them failing.
    Google your monitors and PC models for capacitor issues, see what comes up!
    I've just swapped out my last Lenovos with Capacitor issues this week as they too all began to go in the heat.

  7. #7

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,242
    Thank Post
    603
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    486
    We've had a fair few go like this - i've been replacing capacitors myself usually when time allows (and budget is difficult) across various brands. Try them in a different part of the building and see if they still do it, if so, replace them and also plan ahead for replacements of any other monitors of the same make, model & age.
    The ones we've had go most notably are:

    Edge10 (no surprise)
    Leovo
    CTX
    Video7
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 12th July 2013 at 09:19 AM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Have you done any diagnostic work, like having an identiacl montor to plug in that's cold?
    What happens when you power cycle the monitor?
    What happens if you reboot the PC while the screen is flashing?
    What happens if you disconnecta and reconnect the vga?
    Tried pressing "Auto" to reset the display paramaters?
    Rob
    Unfortunately have only had a chance so far to carry out some basic diagnostics due to time restrictions.

    There are 2/3 different types of monitors in the room and all have the issue. We also have these monitors elsewhere and not once have they had this issue of flashing.

    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Don't dismiss the capacitor issues that dogged so many monitors and PC's of a certain age... The Video going off/on or failing to initialise on boot was one of the first signs of them failing.
    Google your monitors and PC models for capacitor issues, see what comes up!
    I've just swapped out my last Lenovos with Capacitor issues this week as they too all began to go in the heat.
    So do the capacitors go purely because of the heat? As like I said above we have this monitors in other suites and they have no issues

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    We have DGM L-1531's, DGM L-1517's and HANNS-G HU171's

  10. #10

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,242
    Thank Post
    603
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    486
    The capacitors go because they're poorly designed (google capacitor plague for the reasons - industrial espionage and a lot of manufacturers cutting corners).

    DGM monitors are generally quite poor - we've a large 24" in one of our offices, the caps in it whine like hell.

  11. #11

    twin--turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    2,334
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 381 Times in 340 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The capacitors go because they're poorly designed (google capacitor plague for the reasons - industrial espionage and a lot of manufacturers cutting corners).

    DGM monitors are generally quite poor - we've a large 24" in one of our offices, the caps in it whine like hell.
    Not seen it in recent years myself.

    We once had 50 RM pc's that all failed when the VRM capacitors failed. Worst PC's we ever bought , even worse than the Patriot Book PC's from PC world...

    Rob

  12. #12

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,242
    Thank Post
    603
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    486
    Aye, thankfully it's mostly been resolved by anyone that doesn't want to have to deal with thousands of "not fit for purpose" returns under the sale of goods act Dell Optiplexs and the last gen of powerpc Mac's were diabolical!

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,815
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 888 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    301
    try running a few monitors from a surge suppressed adapter or a ups see if that solves it if they all flicker at the same time sounds like a "dirty" electric feed to me

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    try running a few monitors from a surge suppressed adapter or a ups see if that solves it if they all flicker at the same time sounds like a "dirty" electric feed to me


    Thanks for the ideas everyone, hopefully I can get some diagnostics done early in the Summer break.

    Unfortunately they are not too easy to test, as when I have been in there and started the suite up from cold to install some software they don't generally display many, if any issues.

    It's usually after they have been on and in use for a few hours.

    We will see though! and if anyone has any more ideas please post!

    Thanks again, Matt

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,826
    Thank Post
    217
    Thanked 268 Times in 217 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Maybe adjust their brightness down as this should produce less heat and strain on the inverters.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th February 2010, 03:02 PM
  2. ...plan a computer suite?
    By mrforgetful in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd February 2008, 09:42 AM
  3. Error when trying to plat Flash in Boardworks.
    By Kyle in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th February 2008, 11:25 AM
  4. Logging all machines on in one ICT suite
    By Jimbob in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th September 2007, 08:04 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •