+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Advice on projector mounted in a smoke box in Technical; When our food tech room was refurbed in Summer 06, they installed a Mitsubishi SL6U projector mounted in a CEP3 ...
    Thank Post

Advice on projector mounted in a smoke box

When our food tech room was refurbed in Summer 06, they installed a Mitsubishi SL6U projector mounted in a CEP3 smoke box (basically just a sealed enclosure with front and rear fans for ventilation) - we weren't consulted with this so couldn't check alternatives.

It's been gradually getting worse over the years like most other projectors around school, nearly all of which we are replacing with EB-X11s. The issue with this Mitsubishi is that the smoke box seems to only fit this type of projector that we're aware of, and we don't fancy spending the money on a new lamp for a projector which is already 7 years old, has native low resolution, low lamp brightness and much lower lamp life than modern projectors.

We either need to look at sourcing a Mitsubishi projector that is newer but also compatible (likely not possible as we fear this is the only model compatible with this enclosure), or figure out a way we can use an Epson in this type of setting; Epson have confirmed to us they don't supply anything like this though that doesn't mean to say there aren't compatible smoke boxes which could serve a similar purpose.

Anyone been in a similar situation or could advise how best we go forward with this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Our food room the projector was just a normal NEC unit and was fine and hadn't blown up in years of use. The filters and unit were greasy so needed cleaning in degreaser but the image was never an issue so I wouldn't worry unless its directly over a cooker or something? Ours was mounted in the isle between the cooking areas so its was general "floating" fat and never suffered.

The other option is a large screen TV on the wall perhaps?

3. Thanks to john from:

dgsmith (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    We figured if they'd gone to this effort and expense in the first place to protect it then there must be a reason.. do normal projectors still cover the standard warranty even if the environment is less than ideal?

We're not too fussed about fat particles flying around really or even having to wipe it down every now and then, but rather the issue of smoke and whether that could be harmful if left unprotected..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    We figured if they'd gone to this effort and expense in the first place to protect it then there must be a reason.. do normal projectors still cover the standard warranty even if the environment is less than ideal?

We're not too fussed about fat particles flying around really or even having to wipe it down every now and then, but rather the issue of smoke and whether that could be harmful if left unprotected..
    I think it was someone being too cautious, I know I was always very skeptical of having one in a food tech room but these NECs have not died or suffered so just do it.

Thank Post
    It does sound like someone was being overly cautious when they installed the smoke box – smoke boxes were traditionally used within environments that were ‘smoky’ like pubs and clubs as the smoke could cause problems with the internal optics of the projector.

As the poster above says providing the projector is not installed directly over a stove top a normal projector should function fine in this environment although you may need to keep an eye on the filters and replace these more regularly than a unit in a normal classroom.

You may be better with a DLP rather than a LCD unit as these have sealed optics and no grease/dirt would get to the internal workings of the unit.

Have you considered touchscreens? We're seeing a lot of schools moving to this technology – the screens are maintenance free and will not require any filters or lamps to be changed – they have a life span of 5 times the amount of a projector and will not be affected by harsh environments in anyway.

7. Thanks to Stone_Liz from:

dgsmith (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thing is we have a very low budget so touchscreens or any projector into the £300s is not realistically achieveable. The projector itself unfortunately is positioned above a cooker, alas not directly above but close enough (middle of the room, cooker just below offset by about 1/3 metre).

If there were several others saying they use standard, unprotected projectors in food tech rooms without issue then i'd feel more confident, but the responses here hasn't filled me with confidence

Thank Post
    TBH people will just scan the thread see that I have said we don't bother / the TV option and not comment in my experience. Perhaps people like @Soulfish, @robk, @plexer, @witch & @TheScarfedOne etc could say what they have in food technology rooms to help out? I have viewed a few schools and not found any projectors in fancy boxes but have seen normal projectors and TV/Plasmas on the wall.
    Last edited by john; 17th July 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts
    We have Hitachi EDA-220NM in our Food Tech room.

Ben

Thank Post
    Do you have any details on the smoke box? It may be possible to conjure up a bracket to modify the mitsubishi mount and allow you to use the Epson EB-X11.
    We have several Epson EB-X11 and they are quite small in size so you may be able to squeeze it in.

In two previous schools I've worked in they've had a standard projector (NEC in one, Sanyo in the other, both 3LCD systems) in the Food Tech room, without a smoke box. They needed more regular cleaning, especially when the weather is hot like this, and the Sanyo was more susceptible to shutting down due to overheating if not cleaned regularly. I just washed the filters in warm water and washing up liquid - worked for me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    We have a standard Epson something or other in our food tech room. It's been there for years. I don't even clean the filters because the universal bracket covers them and there is no time for me to do it and no tools.
    It's fine
    TBH the food tech room is steamy rather than smoky

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread