+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, SSDs, long life and a company that begins in V and ends in iglen in Technical; Trying to get a managed service provider to get us some decent PCs for a mahoosive refresh we are running ...
    Thank Post

SSDs, long life and a company that begins in V and ends in iglen

Trying to get a managed service provider to get us some decent PCs for a mahoosive refresh we are running but are running up across an interesting barrier over SSDs....they still don't think they last that long! (by that long I'm meaning 4+ years).

So what I need is some fellow edugeekers to say if they have any PCs with SSD in that are going for 4 yrs+ to post below mentioning what model they are going with and how many of the little drives they have out there which will hopefully add some support behind my good word

Been dragging as much out of the net as I can on the matter as well but if anyone else knows of any good resources that prove the long life as well (and I do mean prove not just synthetic testing) it would be great!

Cheers,
    James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Not had experience of many ssd's but the pro version ( Samsung 840 Pro ) has a 5 year warranty. That or an Intel ssd.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not had experience of many ssd's but the pro version ( Samsung 840 Pro ) has a 5 year warranty. That or an Intel ssd.
    Its the 840 Pros that we are looking at however they are being a little irksome about giving them to us in the first place! Crazy but hey :P

Thank Post
    Why should you have to convince the MSP to buy machines with SSDs? If you want them, and are paying for the MSP's services, they buy what you want within a certain budget surely? (assuming you pay x per year and it includes a PC refresh every N years, that sort of thing)

If it helps, we've had around 40 machines with SSDs running fine for about a year. Hardly long-life yet, but it's another data point for you I guess!

5. Thanks to FishCustard from:

jamesfed (2nd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    Why should you have to convince the MSP to buy machines with SSDs? If you want them, and are paying for the MSP's services, they buy what you want within a certain budget surely? (assuming you pay x per year and it includes a PC refresh every N years, that sort of thing)

If it helps, we've had around 40 machines with SSDs running fine for about a year. Hardly long-life yet, but it's another data point for you I guess!
    It is a little more complicated than that.....(in fact I lie its a lot more complicated than that) - its a whole 'solution' they are providing us with the total cost coming in at quite a few 0s and so they are looking to minimise 'risk' wherever possible.

All just business wangling but either way its not something I can change.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    The oldest SSD I have is an Intel X25-M 'G2' from July 2009 (3 years, 11 months, 8 days old to be exact, so almost 4 ) and it's still working perfectly. In school PCs, we have a mixture of Samsung, Intel, Crucial and Kingston SSDs (ranging from 1-3 years old). None have failed.

If Viqlen can't give you what you want, find someone else who will. Clearly Lord Sugar doesn't need your money!

^ It's a 160GB SSD partitioned down to 140GB.
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd July 2013 at 07:54 PM.

8. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

jamesfed (2nd July 2013), mac_shinobi (2nd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Would buying machines minus storage ie hard drives / ssd's be ok with them and buy whatever ssd's you want and do any ssd swapouts yourself direct with either <company that you purchased the ssd's from> or <ssd manufacturer>???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    It is a little more complicated than that.....(in fact I lie its a lot more complicated than that) - its a whole 'solution' they are providing us with the total cost coming in at quite a few 0s and so they are looking to minimise 'risk' wherever possible.

All just business wangling but either way its not something I can change.
    So they want to provide you kit with proven reliability so you don't have to use any warranty, and they can just take your cash for nothing?

Thank Post
    I'm afraid the only option is to buy the kit from this one company due to a contract that was agreed long before I started my current place

Just need a little help on the whole long life of SSDs front really because all other options just aren't viable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If Viqlen can't give you what you want, find someone else who will. Clearly Lord Sugar doesn't need your money!
    What @Arthur said !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    So they want to provide you kit with proven reliability so you don't have to use any warranty, and they can just take your cash for nothing?
    *cough* Mayyyybee........

Anywhos back on track....anyone with a SSD (or even better a batch of SSDs) which have lived longer than 4 years?

Thank Post
    So you have to go with them, no option?

"Minimise risk"? Cut corners more like it I'd say...

EDIT: I see what you mean... I'll see if anyone else I know has been using SSDs long-term.
    Last edited by FishCustard; 2nd July 2013 at 07:53 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm afraid the only option is to buy the kit from this one company due to a contract that was agreed long before I started my current place

Just need a little help on the whole long life of SSDs front really because all other options just aren't viable
    Im missing the point, if you are requesting kit with ssd's instead of hard drives and said ssd's have a five year warranty and they fail you claim on the warranty for the ssd generally direct with the ssd manufacturer not viglen

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    So you have to go with them, no option?

"Minimise risk"? Cut corners more like it sounds to me...
    Yep noooo option otherwise

There are always ways and means to convince and knowing Edugeek all too well we have the power to convince

Thank Post
    The biggest inherent issue is the limited write life. It might be useful to pull some stats from the drives in schools to show typical use case data on units with a year or more in service. If they typically show no chance of hitting the limit within the 5 years then you could ask the supplier to start supplying evidence that it is infact a risk not within the normal remit of the contract.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast