+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Teacher Workstations in Technical; I'm in the process of pricing up some new machines for teachers to use in the classrooms, i'm getting quotes ...

Thank Post

Teacher Workstations

I'm in the process of pricing up some new machines for teachers to use in the classrooms, i'm getting quotes through from Stone for their USFF machines, and from Lane business systems for some Dell Optiplex 3010's. I've had quite a few stone machines in the past and they've always been pretty solid build wise and the support (on the few times i've had to use it) has been pretty good, however I have no experience with Dell machines. Any know what the Optiplex's are like for standing up to the punishment of teachers/kids fiddling with the front of the machines, or if they're on the floor receiving the occasional kick for example? Also how good is Dells support? What's the turn around time for shipping in replacement parts?

2. Thanks to LinkZ from:

Stone_Liz (10th July 2013)

Thank Post
    We have Dell optiplex 760's been in for over 5 years,

Nothing really has been wrong with them. I realise they may not be on sale now but im sure the newer versions will be about same quality.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The newer optiplex machines have been pretty decent, 760 onwards, you should do fine with those

Thank Post
    We still have the 755 optiplex machines running strong and with win7. Support has always been next day parts on site but you get what you for regarding on site support. 100% fix rate in 3 years ive been here.

New machines wise we have HP 8300E these are rapid and not one fault in a year with any machines and very hard for kids for push/break parts.

Thank Post
    Hi LinkZ. I've PM'd you if you fancy a VeryPC option?. We love building teacher workstations, configured to order for EduGeeks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkZ View Post
    I'm in the process of pricing up some new machines for teachers to use in the classrooms, i'm getting quotes through from Stone for their USFF machines, and from Lane business systems for some Dell Optiplex 3010's. I've had quite a few stone machines in the past and they've always been pretty solid build wise and the support (on the few times i've had to use it) has been pretty good, however I have no experience with Dell machines. Any know what the Optiplex's are like for standing up to the punishment of teachers/kids fiddling with the front of the machines, or if they're on the floor receiving the occasional kick for example? Also how good is Dells support? What's the turn around time for shipping in replacement parts?
    Hi, I see you're already getting quotes through from Stone, which is great to see If there is anything else I can help with in the meantime then just give me a shout.

Liz

Thank Post
    One advantage of Dell's is if you are using SCCM and SCUP then firmware updates are automatic. Someone said that to me the other day and I thought how often do you have to do firmware updates and would you want one to happen automatically/remotely with the chance that someone switches the computer off!

Going with Stone.

9. Thanks to ghanel from:

Stone_Liz (11th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghanel View Post
    One advantage of Dell's is if you are using SCCM and SCUP then firmware updates are automatic. Someone said that to me the other day and I thought how often do you have to do firmware updates and would you want one to happen automatically/remotely with the chance that someone switches the computer off!

Going with Stone.
    Wake on LAN and do it in the middle of the night. The other nice thing with Dell is their driver packs for deployment, save a lot of flagging around as you just need to download one driver pack rather than fiddling with loads of different drivers.

Thank Post
    Fujitsu USFF Q510 , ( i3 , 4gb ram and Windows 7 Professional ) , we paid £329 each

brackets are 10 pounds ( can bolt onto any Vesa monitor )

3 year warranty is also 10 pounds each

Great little systems ! smallest i have ever seen .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    Fujitsu USFF Q510 , ( i3 , 4gb ram and Windows 7 Professional ) , we paid £329 each

brackets are 10 pounds ( can bolt onto any Vesa monitor )

3 year warranty is also 10 pounds each

Great little systems ! smallest i have ever seen .
    We have just got some of these. Out of interest, how do you secure the case so that the whole unit can't be taken off the back of the monitor? Or even the accessible side which also just slides off? This is a real concern for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    We have just got some of these. Out of interest, how do you secure the case so that the whole unit can't be taken off the back of the monitor? Or even the accessible side which also just slides off? This is a real concern for us.
    The Fujitsu Q series machines have a Kensington Lock socket, from memory, which should help.

Thank Post
    Ive just installed 30 Zoostorms that i got through @CPLTD. Installed one with all the software and SIMS then imaged with WDS. From being unboxed to all imaged and asset tagged was 2 days (work bench only big enough to image 4 at a time).

15. Thanks to DSapseid from:

CPLTD (6th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread