+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Refurbishing ICT suite - recommendations please! in Technical; I have been given a limited budget (12k ish) to replace 31 PCs and monitors in our ICT suite over ...
    sjb

Thank Post

Refurbishing ICT suite - recommendations please!

I have been given a limited budget (12k ish) to replace 31 PCs and monitors in our ICT suite over the summer. We are looking for a minimum spec of i3 processors and 4GB RAM, with Win 7 pro or Win 8 pro and small form factor as space is limited. We don't need optical drives. So far Dell are coming out cheapest, but I would be grateful for any recommendations of other companies to try please.

Thank you

Sue

2. Thanks to sjb from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (1st July 2013)

Thank Post
    Eww dell?

Tried Zoostorm? We recently got our staff whiteboard machines from them, cant remember the spec but I know that at the time (last year) they were mid-top spec for office machines and only 250 each without screens. Worth giving em a go, no complaints so far!

Thank Post
    Hi @sjb

I have just completed an order for the same as your requirements for about the 13k mark.

Consisted of the Ergo Flex Mini PC and some 19" ViewSonic Hard Glass monitors.

Cheers
    Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi sue,

I'm trying to work something out for you now. I'll PM you later today or first thing in the morning

Thank Post
    These are brilliant:
    The Novatech Pro NAI04

You can happily change the spec (as we've done) to suit your price and needs. Novatech will build them to spec for you, you could even buy one and export the bios with a particular setup and they'll put that on them all for you too. We're only using them for office PCs but i think i would quite happily use those in classrooms too.

USB, headphone and microphone jacks can either be on the side (the silver part) or the front (under the monitor, face on to the user) highly recommend them though

EDIT: if you're interested send me a PM and i'll forward you the email of our account manager.

I've been speccing these with i3, 4gb ram, H77 boards and 22" monitors, should think you could do that for just about 12k, maybe slightly over.
    Last edited by mrbios; 1st July 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Do you have access to a dell premier account? Ask your lea. 12k should cover your specs with 4-5years warrenty.

Thank Post
    Have you tried Stone? Should have no problem bringing the machines you want for that price with them.

9. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

StoneComputers (3rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    We've just bought a load of Dell, they do seem to be the supplier with very sharp pencils at the moment, got a cracking deal for a load of 3011 all in ones. Speak directly with your edu account manager, don't bother with the Premiere pages and liberally drop in the following at random points in the conversation - HP, Lenovo. If you do that you'll get prices well below the edu best prices on the Premiere page.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    We've just bought a load of Dell, they do seem to be the supplier with very sharp pencils at the moment, got a cracking deal for a load of 3011 all in ones. Speak directly with your edu account manager, don't bother with the Premiere pages and liberally drop in the following at random points in the conversation - HP, Lenovo. If you do that you'll get prices well below the edu best prices on the Premiere page.
    That's because they are massively loosing market share - I have heard of them doing some very crafty things when coming up against rivals. Personally I love the lenovo kit but its not the cheapest.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've been looking to replace one of our suites with a very similar spec. @VeryPC managed to get us a great quote, it'll be worth speaking to those guys.

Also rather importantly, 3y warranty too.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 1st July 2013 at 07:34 PM.

13. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (2nd July 2013)

Thank Post
    . That's because they are massively loosing market share - I have heard of them doing some very crafty things when coming up against rivals. Personally I love the lenovo kit but its not the cheapest.
    I like the Lenovo kit as well, bit ugly but it's pretty solid, no idea what their support is like as I've never had to use it in the 2 years since we bought some Lenovo kit. Happy with Dell stuff as well, only ones I really dislike and have to be substantially cheaper than the rest to consider is HP, their support is shocking. Very PC stuff looks very interesting and came a very close second to Dell when we were making the decision on what to go for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I like the Lenovo kit as well, bit ugly but it's pretty solid, no idea what their support is like as I've never had to use it in the 2 years since we bought some Lenovo kit. Happy with Dell stuff as well, only ones I really dislike and have to be substantially cheaper than the rest to consider is HP, their support is shocking. Very PC stuff looks very interesting and came a very close second to Dell when we were making the decision on what to go for.
    Support is actually from IBM in the UK. I have to say HP support depends on what range you go with, consume kit is awful support enterprise is brilliant

Thank Post
    HP Procurve support was excellent but has rapidly gone downhill over the years. For their PC's including their business kit it's rubbish, I have yet to actually contact HP support without them claiming the product is out of warranty when we've bought an extended warranty with it and yes we have registered the warranty with HP and had an email confirming it. Their response times are rubbish, they deliberately send engineers out with either no spare part or the wrong spare part and then you have to wait days for the correct part. I also have a server which they claim has no fault, but is so noisy you literally have to wear ear defenders when you go in the server room. So no, for us HP support is rubbish, but ymmv.

Thank Post
    As someone mentioned above - I am seriously considering buying 100 of the Zoostorm PC's basically the same spec to that you mentioned for around the 250 mark. Cheapish 19" TFT monitors (non glass) will be around the 60 mark. So you should be well within budget.

Thank Post
    What are people paying for 19" screens these days? Stopped buying them long ago in favour of 22" widescreens here because the prices weren't worth it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast