+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 128
Hardware Thread, Ridiculously low pricing on Surface RT for UK Edu this summer in Technical; Originally Posted by zag I would think so yes, people tend to vote with their wallets. When we see a ...
  1. #91


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,800
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 883 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I would think so yes, people tend to vote with their wallets.

    When we see a device miserably failing in the sales figures (Surface, Chrome Laptops ect..) its a sure sign that something is wrong with the platform.
    or marketing it could just be being pushed at the wrong people

  2. #92

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,223
    Thank Post
    446
    Thanked 319 Times in 270 Posts
    Rep Power
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Did you get this resolved? We have received a duplicate order too and our accounts clerk is tearing her hair out trying to speak to someone at Microsoft Operations Ireland to sort it out.
    We have received a duplicate order too. Who are we supposed to email?

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    My isssue is that we really need the Pro due to the data heavy work in Excel I do..

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,819
    Thank Post
    217
    Thanked 266 Times in 216 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    We only got 3 of the 6 we ordered. strangely the second order? 1st and 3rd orders just disappeared.

  5. #95

    SYSMAN_MK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,009
    Thank Post
    490
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Rep Power
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Did you get this resolved? We have received a duplicate order too and our accounts clerk is tearing her hair out trying to speak to someone at Microsoft Operations Ireland to sort it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    We have received a duplicate order too. Who are we supposed to email?
    No still not sorted. Got asked to email the following info to returns@microsoft.com

    Sold to/Ship to Ref
    Order ref
    Contact name and tel number
    Address
    Serial Number
    Reason for return

    Did that a week ago and still no reply.

    Have another school still waiting on 20 that were ordered 2 months ago. Supposedly going through their fast track program. Wouldn't like to see their slow track program!

  6. #96

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    We have received a duplicate order too. Who are we supposed to email?
    I ended up DMing our order details to https://twitter.com/microsofteduk. They said they'd be in touch, not heard back yet though.

    You'll need to tweet them first so they can follow you before you can DM.

    I'm sure they'll get back to us once the unpaid invoice becomes due.

  7. #97

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,250
    Thank Post
    404
    Thanked 630 Times in 575 Posts
    Rep Power
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenhale View Post
    Had an email from Kieran Porter today. v-kiepor@microsoft.com Tel: +44 118 9095303 . He informs me Microsoft were waiting for new stock in the UK which has now arrived and we should receive our devices in the next week or two.
    Might be worth emailing this guy as I heard he gets things sorted.

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    We only ordered a couple, four turned up but only two of the softtouch keyboards.
    How do you find the keyboard on those ones? How much use are they suitable for?


    I have had a few emails in recent days from a guy called Michael Jones (v-mjone@microsoft.com) who was able to check up on my order and the general state of play. Apparently they are waiting for the next shipment to come in and more should go out at the end of the month. He also called me this morning to discuss some questions I put to him in an email yesterday.

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Medway, Kent
    Posts
    196
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Ordered 200 - 25th July

    Got a reply 7th August - Order Processed and should have in 7 - 17 days

    Chased up End of august - Nothing

    Chased up 10th September - Will have them in 5-7 days

    Chased up 19th September - Passed to Softcat

    Softcat checked with Microsoft, order not actually placed

    Order placed by softcat, 14 days lead time.....

    Argh

  10. #100
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,899
    Thank Post
    948
    Thanked 444 Times in 374 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    91
    You guys do realize the new version gets released today right?

    It might be worth waiting....

  11. #101


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,800
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 883 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    You guys do realize the new version gets released today right?

    It might be worth waiting....
    new version wont be £130 though

  12. #102

    m25man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Romford, Essex
    Posts
    1,644
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 467 Times in 339 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    new version wont be £130 though
    That was the idea behind the whole exercise. The 1st Gen devices were pants, many issues that will never be resolved rather than be left with a mountain of landfill, find a willing and gullible country to dump all of your stock in sell them so cheap that the lemmings wont realise what's going on and walk them all down the river like the Pied Piper of Hamelin!

    They have $1 Billion to write off on Surface 1 and will now do so courtesy of the British tax payer as every Surface RT sold to a school at a loss will be offset against M$ profits here in the UK.
    An absolute blinding idea that has no doubt earned an accountant a very nice bonus.
    Within a year most of them will be broken or unused and schools will all be looking for something they can manage with AD and group policies as they come to realise you can only do so much with an RT Slate.

    I have a number of clients still using Netbooks in their Primaries, they need to replace them or expand the fleet. Alas the rise of the tablet has turned their heads.

    Instead of each user logging on to a domain joined netbook and getting everything they want/need they now have to look at a completely new way of doing everything and it all costs more money!
    Fortunately there are still a few 11" notebooks out there at an affordable price.

    PS. I just read the new Surface 2 Pro with i5 and everything will set you back $1799 about the same as a MacBook air! I know what I would rather have.

  13. Thanks to m25man from:

    zag (24th September 2013)

  14. #103


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,800
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 883 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    That was the idea behind the whole exercise. The 1st Gen devices were pants, many issues that will never be resolved rather than be left with a mountain of landfill, find a willing and gullible country to dump all of your stock in sell them so cheap that the lemmings wont realise what's going on and walk them all down the river like the Pied Piper of Hamelin!

    They have $1 Billion to write off on Surface 1 and will now do so courtesy of the British tax payer as every Surface RT sold to a school at a loss will be offset against M$ profits here in the UK.
    An absolute blinding idea that has no doubt earned an accountant a very nice bonus.
    Within a year most of them will be broken or unused and schools will all be looking for something they can manage with AD and group policies as they come to realise you can only do so much with an RT Slate.

    I have a number of clients still using Netbooks in their Primaries, they need to replace them or expand the fleet. Alas the rise of the tablet has turned their heads.

    Instead of each user logging on to a domain joined netbook and getting everything they want/need they now have to look at a completely new way of doing everything and it all costs more money!
    Fortunately there are still a few 11" notebooks out there at an affordable price.

    PS. I just read the new Surface 2 Pro with i5 and everything will set you back $1799 about the same as a MacBook air! I know what I would rather have.
    id rather have the $1700. depends what you want from a tablet. the way things are going the managed domain is going the way of the mainframe limited to specific applications. we all know the limitations of tablets great for looking at stuff lousy for creating stuff but people like them and like it or not the way things are going the desktop is dead the laptop is being marginalised and servers are being moved to the cloud so google and amazon can own all your data for their own purposes

  15. #104
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,696
    Thank Post
    171
    Thanked 222 Times in 205 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Yup fair observation and the pricing on the Surface line was (and still is by the looks of it) well off the mark. At £130 we can make use of the two we ordered to try with Office 365 but anyone with a large fleet of them might regret it later on.

    Still say the idea of an i5 tablet is the wrong answer to the wrong question, people will pay 400-500 for a full featured tablet, 200 for a 7" tablet or 300-500 for a laptop but not 800+ for a combination of the two.

    Seeing as Windows 8 is lighter on resources I just don't get the need for an expensive CPU in the Pro device, MS should either go for the hardware market properly and put an affordable mid range device out there or pull out completely as they keep falling into no man's land with the RT / i5 Pro models imo
    Last edited by gshaw; 23rd September 2013 at 06:51 PM.

  16. #105


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,366
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Rep Power
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    I just read the new Surface 2 Pro with i5 and everything will set you back $1799 about the same as a MacBook Air!
    An iPad with everything will set you back over $1,800! You do realise that you don't have to spend that much?



    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    but not 800+ for a combination of the two.
    And yet there are plenty of people who would spend the same amount of money (or more) on ultrabooks, touchscreen ultrabooks, hybrid laptops and Chromebook Pixel's! Why carry two devices (a laptop and a tablet) when you could carry one?

    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Seeing as Windows 8 is lighter on resources I just don't get the need for an expensive CPU in the Pro device
    The clue is in the name.


SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •