+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Ridiculously low pricing on Surface RT for UK Edu this summer in Technical; Originally Posted by zag I would think so yes, people tend to vote with their wallets. When we see a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I would think so yes, people tend to vote with their wallets.

When we see a device miserably failing in the sales figures (Surface, Chrome Laptops ect..) its a sure sign that something is wrong with the platform.
    or marketing it could just be being pushed at the wrong people

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Did you get this resolved? We have received a duplicate order too and our accounts clerk is tearing her hair out trying to speak to someone at Microsoft Operations Ireland to sort it out.
    We have received a duplicate order too. Who are we supposed to email?

Thank Post
    My isssue is that we really need the Pro due to the data heavy work in Excel I do..

Thank Post
    We only got 3 of the 6 we ordered. strangely the second order? 1st and 3rd orders just disappeared.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Did you get this resolved? We have received a duplicate order too and our accounts clerk is tearing her hair out trying to speak to someone at Microsoft Operations Ireland to sort it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    No still not sorted. Got asked to email the following info to returns@microsoft.com

Sold to/Ship to Ref
    Order ref
    Contact name and tel number
    Address
    Serial Number
    Reason for return

Did that a week ago and still no reply.

Have another school still waiting on 20 that were ordered 2 months ago. Supposedly going through their fast track program. Wouldn't like to see their slow track program!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I ended up DMing our order details to https://twitter.com/microsofteduk. They said they'd be in touch, not heard back yet though.

You'll need to tweet them first so they can follow you before you can DM.

I'm sure they'll get back to us once the unpaid invoice becomes due.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenhale View Post
    Had an email from Kieran Porter today. v-kiepor@microsoft.com Tel: +44 118 9095303 . He informs me Microsoft were waiting for new stock in the UK which has now arrived and we should receive our devices in the next week or two.
    Might be worth emailing this guy as I heard he gets things sorted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    We only ordered a couple, four turned up but only two of the softtouch keyboards.
    How do you find the keyboard on those ones? How much use are they suitable for?

I have had a few emails in recent days from a guy called Michael Jones (v-mjone@microsoft.com) who was able to check up on my order and the general state of play. Apparently they are waiting for the next shipment to come in and more should go out at the end of the month. He also called me this morning to discuss some questions I put to him in an email yesterday.

Thank Post
    Ordered 200 - 25th July

Got a reply 7th August - Order Processed and should have in 7 - 17 days

Chased up End of august - Nothing

Chased up 10th September - Will have them in 5-7 days

Chased up 19th September - Passed to Softcat

Softcat checked with Microsoft, order not actually placed

Order placed by softcat, 14 days lead time.....

Argh

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You guys do realize the new version gets released today right?

It might be worth waiting....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    You guys do realize the new version gets released today right?

It might be worth waiting....
    new version wont be £130 though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    new version wont be £130 though
    That was the idea behind the whole exercise. The 1st Gen devices were pants, many issues that will never be resolved rather than be left with a mountain of landfill, find a willing and gullible country to dump all of your stock in sell them so cheap that the lemmings wont realise what's going on and walk them all down the river like the Pied Piper of Hamelin!

They have $1 Billion to write off on Surface 1 and will now do so courtesy of the British tax payer as every Surface RT sold to a school at a loss will be offset against M$ profits here in the UK.
    An absolute blinding idea that has no doubt earned an accountant a very nice bonus.
    Within a year most of them will be broken or unused and schools will all be looking for something they can manage with AD and group policies as they come to realise you can only do so much with an RT Slate.

I have a number of clients still using Netbooks in their Primaries, they need to replace them or expand the fleet. Alas the rise of the tablet has turned their heads.

Instead of each user logging on to a domain joined netbook and getting everything they want/need they now have to look at a completely new way of doing everything and it all costs more money!
    Fortunately there are still a few 11" notebooks out there at an affordable price.

PS. I just read the new Surface 2 Pro with i5 and everything will set you back $1799 about the same as a MacBook air! I know what I would rather have.

13. Thanks to m25man from:

zag (24th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    That was the idea behind the whole exercise. The 1st Gen devices were pants, many issues that will never be resolved rather than be left with a mountain of landfill, find a willing and gullible country to dump all of your stock in sell them so cheap that the lemmings wont realise what's going on and walk them all down the river like the Pied Piper of Hamelin!

They have $1 Billion to write off on Surface 1 and will now do so courtesy of the British tax payer as every Surface RT sold to a school at a loss will be offset against M$ profits here in the UK.
    An absolute blinding idea that has no doubt earned an accountant a very nice bonus.
    Within a year most of them will be broken or unused and schools will all be looking for something they can manage with AD and group policies as they come to realise you can only do so much with an RT Slate.

I have a number of clients still using Netbooks in their Primaries, they need to replace them or expand the fleet. Alas the rise of the tablet has turned their heads.

Instead of each user logging on to a domain joined netbook and getting everything they want/need they now have to look at a completely new way of doing everything and it all costs more money!
    Fortunately there are still a few 11" notebooks out there at an affordable price.

PS. I just read the new Surface 2 Pro with i5 and everything will set you back $1799 about the same as a MacBook air! I know what I would rather have.
    id rather have the $1700. depends what you want from a tablet. the way things are going the managed domain is going the way of the mainframe limited to specific applications. we all know the limitations of tablets great for looking at stuff lousy for creating stuff but people like them and like it or not the way things are going the desktop is dead the laptop is being marginalised and servers are being moved to the cloud so google and amazon can own all your data for their own purposes

Thank Post
    Yup fair observation and the pricing on the Surface line was (and still is by the looks of it) well off the mark. At £130 we can make use of the two we ordered to try with Office 365 but anyone with a large fleet of them might regret it later on.

Still say the idea of an i5 tablet is the wrong answer to the wrong question, people will pay 400-500 for a full featured tablet, 200 for a 7" tablet or 300-500 for a laptop but not 800+ for a combination of the two.

Seeing as Windows 8 is lighter on resources I just don't get the need for an expensive CPU in the Pro device, MS should either go for the hardware market properly and put an affordable mid range device out there or pull out completely as they keep falling into no man's land with the RT / i5 Pro models imo
    Last edited by gshaw; 23rd September 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    I just read the new Surface 2 Pro with i5 and everything will set you back $1799 about the same as a MacBook Air!
    An iPad with everything will set you back over $1,800! You do realise that you don't have to spend that much?

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    but not 800+ for a combination of the two.
    And yet there are plenty of people who would spend the same amount of money (or more) on ultrabooks, touchscreen ultrabooks, hybrid laptops and Chromebook Pixel's! Why carry two devices (a laptop and a tablet) when you could carry one?

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Seeing as Windows 8 is lighter on resources I just don't get the need for an expensive CPU in the Pro device
    The clue is in the name.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information