+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New printer recommendations? in Technical; Hey everyone. My school has always had a bit of a printer problem. So much so, that most of the ...

Thank Post

New printer recommendations?

Hey everyone. My school has always had a bit of a printer problem. So much so, that most of the technical questions in my interview were about printers...

Most of the school's laser printers have been running from 2007 following a printer refresh. This includes two Kyocera FS-C5025Ns, one in the middle corridor and one in the ICT room. The developer units in them are going, causing the sides of printouts to be faded, while one spits toner on the paper a lot. The staff hate using them, and throw away half the stuff they print.

The accounts manager wanted to prove that new printers would be more economical than a repair (which isn't hard at all, considering the cost of managing them at the moment) so that the governors wouldn't kick up a fuss. I was asked to add the Colour Photocopier as a printer for staff so that they could get clear printouts while we sorted this, so use of the other printers has gone down luckily. But still, over the past two weeks there's been nearly a thousand pages printed on both of them and most of them wasted.

Pointless rant over, I'm interested in knowing what printers you guys use, and are pleased with. And if you could, please send help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Ye Olde HP Mono Lasers in IT Rooms 4200s to be precise from the lovely sponsors ICT Direct

All colour / A3 goes to one of the colour copiers as they are a lot cheaper than printers and when they break its not my problem

3. Thanks to john from:

ICTDirect_Dave (21st June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks @john !

Those 4200 series HPs are brilliant. Go on for ever, cost next to nothing and have great print quality.

Also we're really cheap when it comes to consumables too

5. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

FishCustard (23rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, though I've just been informed we have to purchase direct from RM (I'd have loved to go with ICT Direct... ) because of support included and I haven't been told whether or not they have more options than the stuff available on their site. Bleh. Additionally, they need colour printers too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    RM?

We do colour printers too

How much support do you need? We go to the 'if it breaks we will try and help you out' level (after the warranty expires that is!)

Hell you could buy two or three from us and keep them in the cupboard untill you need one and it still be cheaper!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    RM?

We do colour printers too

How much support do you need? We go to the 'if it breaks we will try and help you out' level (after the warranty expires that is!)

Hell you could buy two or three from us and keep them in the cupboard untill you need one and it still be cheaper!
    I would say your last line is 1000x correct with RM

9. Thanks to john from:

ICTDirect_Dave (21st June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    Thanks guys, though I've just been informed we have to purchase direct from RM (I'd have loved to go with ICT Direct... ) because of support included and I haven't been told whether or not they have more options than the stuff available on their site. Bleh. Additionally, they need colour printers too.
    Psh, who needs RM support when you have Edugeek?

We just got a couple of HP LaserJet Pro 300 colour MFP M375nw. They're really nice. [But, quite expensive.]

Thank Post
    My new place has OKI printers and they seem fairly robust. Networked Photocopiers would be the way to go if possible and more likely to be financed over multiple years so friendlier on the budget.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    RM?
    Tell me about it...

The school has had them for years, and before I was here they were their only lifeline, and since they manage everything they're mine when I'm learning. But the printers are included in it, so I think the school wants to stay with them because after the cost of buying them, support is free. Drives me mad though because their stuff is overpriced as hell. Consumables however, has me interested. I'll have to ring up on Monday and ask whether or not they'll include support somehow on things bought third party.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff. If you want to see what we can do for you then email me a list of your regular cartridge requirements and i'll get some great pricing for you!

14. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

Bompalompalomp (21st June 2013)

Thank Post
    Speak to some companies about managed print contracts. They provide the printers for free, supply you with toner and fix any issues that occur. You then just pay so much per page. Depending on how much you're printing and what your current printer fleet is it could work out cheaper.

I've used Complete - Managed Print Services Birmingham l London l Manchester | Cambridge | Southampton who are based in Birmingham. There'll be plenty of other companies also.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    South West Copiers in Swindon have provided my school with first class service using Ricoh Copiers set as Domain defaults over the time I have worked there South West Copiers - Photocopiers in Swindon SN25 4YD - 192.com

We do have that ongoing problem that too many staff think they have a 'right' to have and default to a colour laser in their classroom - not quite sure how you can get around that one - question of 'education' perhaps

Thank Post
    HP or Epson here and little to no problems. I cant remember their name but I was contacted by a company a while back where they supply the printers and maintain them as long as you buy the toners from them (maybe it was Stone?). Personally though whatever you choose I would become a mac user before I bought anything from RM. I hate to think my tax goes towards schools who have management who believe RM is a viable solution. (going way off track here)

Thank Post
    I second @ICTDirect_Dave with regards to the HP 4200/4250s. I'm slowly replacing our random assortment of printers with the things, 'cause I know them to be reliable and cheap to run.

Hint - get the 4250n if at all possible, because they can take the high-capacity toners. If someone needs duplex printing, there's the 4250dtn (duplex, extra trays, networked), and for really heavy users you can get a 4350n which can handle more abuse and yet takes the same cartridges! There's even such a thing as the 4350dtnsl, which has a stapler/stacker and looks like its well on the way to becoming a Gundam mech.
    (Yes, I know more than is probably good for me about the 4200-series...)

PS - I'll be wanting more of the things soon. Dave, I'll call ICT Direct on Monday.

EDIT: Also, I second everyone who has said something to the effect of 'RM = bleugh!'.
    Last edited by FishCustard; 23rd June 2013 at 01:45 AM.

19. Thanks to FishCustard from:

ICTDirect_Dave (23rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi All, sorry for highjacking this thread, but I too am looking for some more printers to serve another site.

We have HP4250 B&W which I like and we have a Xerox Phaser 85?? wax colour printer...

Is there anything better around than the Xerox Phaser for colour please??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast