+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Swapping server case in Technical; Originally Posted by kestrel1 Different situation here, but similar with regard the noise. Our server room/IT office hosts our servers ...

Thank Post

Re: Swapping server case

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1
    Different situation here, but similar with regard the noise. Our server room/IT office hosts our servers & was always very hot. I eventually convinced them that we needed air con, as I could hear the fans on the servers before I entered the building
    I can hear our 11 HP procurve servers from our main reception area just about, there's 2 doors or 3 walls between me and them. It's only just audiable, but goes to show how noisy servers can be. They do get a lot louder when the rooms warmer too, as proved recently when the air conditioning heat exchanger got clogged up causing the efficientcy to fall, and one quite warm server room as a result!

Mike.

Thank Post

Re: Swapping server case

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1
    Are you sure that changing the case would solve the problem. Often CPU fans can make a lot of noise if they get dirty or the fan is failing, the same goes for system fans & these can be replaced fairly cheaply.
    I've queried changing out the fans before and the response was to get the same brand and type. They're not rattling due to wear and they don't appear to be temperature controlled. I also looked at replacing the existing fans with larger diameter models (which are always quieter) but the case design and layout just doesn't allow for it.

The CPU's have passive heat sinks that rely on the air flow being ducted from the fans at the front of the case to cool them so they aren't the issue either but obviously air flow is important as a result.

Now, I did looked at installing some form of fan controller but these fans are hot swap and from all my looking I can't figure a way to slow them down. To be honest I don't think I even want to consider slowing them partly because of the CPU cooling method and partly because it's more than my life's worth.

Re: warranty, that's no longer an issue or I wouldn't be going there

Re: cabinet... Probably worth noting this is a floor standing case (huge because of the ext-ATX form factor) so any cabinet would be likewise.

One thing that I haven't been able to resolve is whether I can get the BIOS to control the fan speed according to CPU temp, etc... I did look but couldn't find what I needed as yet.. I'll give that another shot before I do anything else.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12