+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, IT Room Damage. in Technical; Quote Originally Posted by bwestlake View Post why cant they lock them behind them! It's not their job. but common ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bwestlake View Post
    why cant they lock them behind them!
    It's not their job.
    but common sense tells you that if you unclock it you should lock it when you go through it. and also school rules dictate that you should leave everything as you found it, or are teachers exempt??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwestlake View Post
    or are teachers exempt??
    Some like to think they are, other just don't care.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    We are going through a stage where kids are rearranging the letters on the keyboard and breaking through the cable ties to take the mouse. Also they are pulling up the buttons on the mice to stop them work, still waiting for the day i catch someone in person doing this. They dont have any respect for anything these days.

I am looking at making something that can be screwable to lock/secure the cables for mouse, keyboard and ethernet together, a bit like a flex grip in a plug so they cannot walk off with the mouse and keyboard. Either that or blanking plates with two bits cut out with brissals on that is small enough so usb ends cannot be fed through it and is big enough is not to nip the cable on the computer case.. hmmmm... Apparently you can buy metal cable ties, trouble is, how do you cut the off :S
    you can get metal cable ties ive used them before now (on my car i hasten to add to fix a heatshield on when all 3 bolts in the cat sheared off when i tried to remove them) and they can be cut but need something a bit stronger than scisors like decent snips

Thank Post
    We have the same problem too.
    - Vandalism happens in lessons whilst the teacher is there.
    - CCTV not allowed as its is monitoring the teachers and monitoring can only be performed for specific number of hours per year as agreed with unions.
    - Teachers too busy to email/phone/raise ticket/pop into the office/memo/say 'yes there's a problem' when we do room checks (visit every IT room personally) at 9.20am
    - mouse get stolen so we cable tie
    - cable ties get broken so we padlock
    - padlock causes students to cut through cables - but at least they don't have a working mouse!
    - charge vandalism to faculties - we're told not fair as teachers don't have time to check room.

Final answer arrived at - stop being the only person who cares and just budget more and more every year for replacing vandalised stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    CCTV doesn't have to have anything to do with monitoring. They're not pointing at the teachers, they're pointing at your assets.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    CCTV is allowed - you set them up with no sound and in such a position that the teacher standing at the front cannot be seen. Our local high school has them in all IT suites, and labs etc and the NUT havent kicked off about it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed - it can be used to help them directly too. Perhaps it's because CCTV very often cuts out the need for union intervention with some matters because there's hard evidence readily available? (Touché I know!)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We could put up a poster [Teachers like posters]

9. 2 Thanks to DaveP:

Bompalompalomp (21st June 2013), VeryPC_Colin_M (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Can you imagine if you stuck CCTV in and discovered it was the cleaner, who has a lifelong grudge against the school...

Thank Post
    All this makes me happy that I work in a girls school - over the course of this academic year the worst we had was 3 damaged mice when YR11 left. Oh, and some strange yellow substance accidentally spilled on a keyboard once

Thank Post
    I find if the room looks nice and new, they tend not to damage anything. Of course that only lasts for a year or so, after that its every week. If a teacher keeps an eye on them it wont happen. If they open the door and walk away thats when the trouble starts. We have CCTV.
    Last edited by Alkaline; 24th June 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thank you everyone for contributing to BWestlake's post. It's funny how much time and money is spent on kid-proofing PC hardware, designing tamper proof power buttons, cable shrouds, scratch proof face plates, solid blanking plates, hard glass monitors etc, but no-one ever thinks about the link from the peripherals to the hardware. Suggestions would be welcome. We've thrown ideas like telephone bungee cord, reinforced cabling like you get on bike locks, and such like. There are your durable keyboards and mice with tamper proof keys, spill resistance, and even kevlar reinforced cable locks etc, but chopping through the cables could also be solved. I reckon with some good ideas and a bit of support from you guys I could get a research project kicked off here at VeryPC to look into potential solutions, cost them up and see if they'd be viable for the education market and get some prototypes out into the EduGeek community to play with. Alternatively WiFi / BT would eliminate the point of failure - but I can already see why we don't sell many of them to education.... If you think how many times you replace a Keyboard and Mouse and the cost associated with that (including lost learning time and wasted tech time) the total cost of ownership of a simple wired USB keyboard and mouse could equate to a serious amount of money..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    Thank you everyone for contributing to BWestlake's post. It's funny how much time and money is spent on kid-proofing PC hardware, designing tamper proof power buttons, cable shrouds, scratch proof face plates, solid blanking plates, hard glass monitors etc, but no-one ever thinks about the link from the peripherals to the hardware. Suggestions would be welcome. We've thrown ideas like telephone bungee cord, reinforced cabling like you get on bike locks, and such like. There are your durable keyboards and mice with tamper proof keys, spill resistance, and even kevlar reinforced cable locks etc, but chopping through the cables could also be solved. I reckon with some good ideas and a bit of support from you guys I could get a research project kicked off here at VeryPC to look into potential solutions, cost them up and see if they'd be viable for the education market and get some prototypes out into the EduGeek community to play with. Alternatively WiFi / BT would eliminate the point of failure - but I can already see why we don't sell many of them to education.... If you think how many times you replace a Keyboard and Mouse and the cost associated with that (including lost learning time and wasted tech time) the total cost of ownership of a simple wired USB keyboard and mouse could equate to a serious amount of money..
    Also a whole suite of wireless keyboards would either go missing immediately or would interfere with eachother so much that they're not worth the money

15. Thanks to Pyroman from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Keyboard & trackballs physically fixed to desks.

Thank Post
    Agreed WiFi is a no go; having spoken with over 30 customers now the solution is probably not a hardware fix or ruggedised cable, but more of a behavioral fix. I think BWestlake will appreciate all the advice given on how to manage rooms, pupils, teachers and the like to prevent deliberate damage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast