+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, IT Room Damage. in Technical; Originally Posted by DaveP "Come on. Network Support is giving me a hard time here. Don't do that while they ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    "Come on. Network Support is giving me a hard time here. Don't do that while they are in the room" rather than telling them that they can't use the computers and their work will have to be submitted hand-written, parents will be notified etc...
    I may just be grumpy today but if I heard a teacher being that unprofessional I would have interjected with "Don't do it when I'm not either" very loudly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I may just be grumpy today but if I heard a teacher being that unprofessional I would have interjected with "Don't do it when I'm not either" very loudly.
    Either I'm equally as grumpy, or you've got the right idea.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 882 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    To clarify: Those were not the words used but rather that was the tone. I was disappointed that there was no sense of the students being told off but more a conversation between friends saying "That got a little out of hand..."

I wanted more severity form the teacher to stress to the students NOT TO DO THIS AGAIN!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    To clarify: Those were not the words used but rather that was the tone. I was disappointed that there was no sense of the students being told off but more a conversation between friends saying "That got a little out of hand..."

I wanted more severity form the teacher to stress to the students NOT TO DO THIS AGAIN!
    You need to get all Earl Lemongrab up in there.

[I would post a youtube video to show it exactly... but my sound isn't working. "No audio device installed".]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bwestlake View Post
    We don't want to go down the cctv route as the teachers may complain about privacy ect...
    CCTV works both ways. What if your CCTV installation protected a teacher from a false allegation?

We also cable tie everything, use scripts to record logged on users, have inteligent locks(Salto) on ICT rooms and have a log book in the room for staff to sign to say the room was in good order(this doubles up as a fault log, they know we check it so they write the problems down)

Thank Post
    we have all the it rooms on the generic classroom key so they all have access.. some still don't lock the doors. and if they are not timetabled into the rooms they book tjem via roombookingsystem.co.uk and also we use impero which records logins, but staff don't let us know until the damage mounts up.

also we got an email yesterday.. "You do realise that a lot of things will still not be reported as even I often do not have time to log on to my e-mail during the lesson if I am only here for 1 lesson or have time to write the e-mail while I should be teaching" which is quite anyoing as if they don't report the computers as not working then they will complain that they are unable to teach as the computers are not working...

Thank Post
    With our Salto locks you assign a card to a member of staff. That card has a list of doors can be opened. If there is a problem in a room you can interogate the lock to find out which member of staff opened the door.

Thank Post
    anything you guys have done to get more staff to be vigilant on this topic, but as most of the ict suite rooms are on the room booking system, it has became an issue when trying to find out which class has caused the damage as things don't always get reported?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Two methods. The simplest method, but more time consuming, is to check the rooms before/after a class uses it. However this quickly gets out of hand once you have more than a few rooms. The more sustainable method is to ask teachers to report any problems at the start of the lesson. If they find any you just bill the previous teachers department/check CCTV/Whatever. If the previous teacher kicks up a fuss it's still their fault as they didn't do as they were asked and report problems. Simple and self policing at that point.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    I too feel it is a classroom management problem and have relayed this message to SLT in a bid to get the staff to be a little more vigilant when using the IT suites, we don't have a great deal of damage.

SLT have relayed that they will name and shame any member of staff who doesn't follow the proper IT room protocols and also charge the damage to the subject even if they deny all responsibility so it is in the best interest of every member of staff to comply for if they don't check and report any damage prior to their lesson starting then they will be held accountable anyway.

This seems to have them fired up as they have to fill a form in on the teachers desk stating if they had any damaged equipment and if they have logged it with IT support. I make regular trips around site and make random inspections usually after a lesson has started so they then have no excuse, I then report anything I find to the SLT and my line manager.

Not cured all but nearly all

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I make regular trips around site and make random inspections usually after a lesson has started so they then have no excuse, I then report anything I find to the SLT and my line manager.
    Bossman aka "The Spanish Inquisition."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Bossman aka "The Spanish Inquisition."
    NOBODY EXPECTS THE BOSSMAN!!! His most useful weapon is surprise, fear and surprise... His 2, 2 Most important weapons are fear, surprise.... and judicious use of a screwdriver.....
    etc, etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    I was going to comment in similar vein but discussing @bossman 's weapon just seemed very wrong...sorry, it must be the pain medication.

Thank Post
    just had another one with the keyboard spelling C,U,*,*
    IT WAS REPORTED!! for once

Thank Post
    WOOO!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast