+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Recommended diagnostics software for HP Proliant G5 Server HDD's and RAM in Technical; Hiya Currently trying to diagnose a 'blue screening' issue with one of our remaining physical servers. Event logs give little ...

Thank Post

Recommended diagnostics software for HP Proliant G5 Server HDD's and RAM

Hiya

Currently trying to diagnose a 'blue screening' issue with one of our remaining physical servers. Event logs give little clue and HP Insight Diagnostics reckons all is ok!

Seatools does not pick up the hard drives so was just wondering whether theres anything out there that will heavily scrutinise hards disks and memory too.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

MemTest86+ is pretty much the one for memory. Don't think the HDD tools would like a RAID controller though... Also some CPU stress testing stuff on there (although I couldn't get working on the last server I tried - too new?)

Thank Post
    HPs own supplied Management Software is what I use. Monitors the disks and such, shows if there is any issue. If installed, it should show on the start menu under HP System Tools.

What errors are you getting on the bluescreen out of interest? Just I had some issues a while back that look like they were being effected by some kind of shadow volume issues, but were causing hiccups linked with our backup software (CA ArcServe).

Thank Post
    I used this to track down a faulty driver on blue screening laptop the other day.

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

5. Thanks to difinity from:

speckytecky (13th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    HPs own supplied Management Software is what I use. Monitors the disks and such, shows if there is any issue. If installed, it should show on the start menu under HP System Tools.

What errors are you getting on the bluescreen out of interest? Just I had some issues a while back that look like they were being effected by some kind of shadow volume issues, but were causing hiccups linked with our backup software (CA ArcServe).
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

And what did I install on there about 2 days ago? Arcserve 16.5 from scratch in preparation of it being our new backup server!! Blue screen gave the impression of being a 'hardware' issue. But gut instinct isn't always right I guess. Have restored the server via a ghost image I took minus the CA software. Will leave it a few days, do some memory testing etc and see what happens. And then install CA 16.5 and hold my breath......

Thank Post
    I had a very similar issue with a DL380 G5, the Insight disk said everything was good. I had an HP engineer check it over with his software (while he was looking at another issue), turned out to be the board, not the RAM or HDD.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Hirens disc has a number of useful testing tools.

And also the HP Insight Diagnostics disc is pretty useful

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

And what did I install on there about 2 days ago? Arcserve 16.5 from scratch in preparation of it being our new backup server!! Blue screen gave the impression of being a 'hardware' issue. But gut instinct isn't always right I guess. Have restored the server via a ghost image I took minus the CA software. Will leave it a few days, do some memory testing etc and see what happens. And then install CA 16.5 and hold my breath......
    Glad to be of service. I've had this issue repeatably about 12 months following the release of the updated version of ArcServe. I've been through a few versions, always seem to be able to skip one version though. So either MS are changing something that breaks ArcServe, or there's something in the CA, but seems to be a recurring issue annoyingly (I suspect it's MS updates that break arcserve, but CA don't fix it because they have a new version out).

Was it a Portmap error on the blue screen generally If so, you'll probably find that goes away, although 16.5 is the latest version so, I could be wrong with the above too. Do you have shadow copies enabled on this server? As that was the other thing someone pointed me in the direction of it possibly being.

Thank Post
    CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World is useful as it will tell you the smart info

Thank Post
    Check for minidump files and look at them using the microsoft debugging toolkit, this has helped me a lot of times identify if it's a possible hardware issue.

Also it means you don't have to take the server down for an extended period of time and watch over it.

A good link to it (old but still relevant) - HOW TO: Debug Memory Dumps (Figure out what is causing a BSOD) - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Thanks,

Ed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread