+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, RM EcoQuiet Server - Not fit for purpose? in Technical; I have a school with a RM EcoQuiet server running CC4 and it seems like it is not fit for ...

Thank Post

RM EcoQuiet Server - Not fit for purpose?

I have a school with a RM EcoQuiet server running CC4 and it seems like it is not fit for purpose. It is abismally slow (trying to use the RM Management Console or anything else on the server requires a lot of waiting!) and has now started BSOD'ing from time to time - although the event logs are not showing anything specific which is causing it.

The server is a Intel core Duo T2500 @ 2.00GHz. Memory has been upgraded from 2GB (what it came with) to 4GB (although it is a 32Bit 2003 R2 server). Mobo is a Tyan S5207. It has two 140GB Hard Drives which are Sata WD1500HLFS-01G6U0 (looks like they are these: Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com ) - No raid or anything.

The server seems to be lower spec than most of the workstations and it is struggling. CPU usage seems to constantly around 50-60% and memory usage is 3GB, with sqlservr.exe using 272MB, Rm.Networks>Comms.ServiceHost.Process.exe using 170MB and SemSvc.exe using 140MB. Most the other services are also RM services. 103GB is being used and backing this up to the RDX drive is taking around 12 hours.

I doubt anything can be done as they have had it a while, but it just seems not fit for purpose and they are stuck with it and CC4 for the next few years as they bought a 3 year RM support contact up front to get a few % off the price. Anyone else had any situation like this?

Thank Post
    Well that processor is from way back in 06/07 ish with 2k3 installed that's about right. It can't be new surely? Or have they just put CC4 on and old CC3 server and the 3 year support is for CC4 and not the hardware?

Thank Post
    How many PCs do you have? I forgot to actually answer the question. According to RM it would meet the minimum recommended spec for CC4 with up to 100 machines I believe.

Whether its really fit for purpose using minimum specs though...

Thank Post
    was going say its far from being a new server, I'd be looking at getting another server in to spread the load a little then leave this one to carry on doing the less critial tasks, I'd compare the size of the network when it was initially installed as well as the general usage and how both have probably increased then put togeather a case for a replacement. As you say its probably slower than the workstations if they've brought any new in the last few years.

Thank Post
    I doubt anything can be done as they have had it a while, but it just seems not fit for purpose and they are stuck with it and CC4 for the next few years as they bought a 3 year RM support contact up front to get a few % off the price. Anyone else had any situation like this?
    Not helpful for speed issues, but if it's BSOD'ing, pass that to RM support. Let them find out why it's doing it. Especially as you've paid quite a hefty amount I imagine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffkins View Post
    Well that processor is from way back in 06/07 ish with 2k3 installed that's about right. It can't be new surely? Or have they just put CC4 on and old CC3 server and the 3 year support is for CC4 and not the hardware?
    Just checked and the server was bought new in October 2009. Software Support expires in Oct 2014 (5 years after it was bought) and to make things complicated hardware support on the server was not renewed - I know that RM will probably blame the BSOD as a hardware issue and then refuse further support as there is no hardware contract on the server. They never had CC3 - CC4 went on it from new. It does not surprise me that RM sold the school a 06/07 spec system in 2009.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    was going say its far from being a new server, I'd be looking at getting another server in to spread the load a little then leave this one to carry on doing the less critial tasks, I'd compare the size of the network when it was initially installed as well as the general usage and how both have probably increased then put togeather a case for a replacement. As you say its probably slower than the workstations if they've brought any new in the last few years.
    I agree - the thing is the school paid over 5,500 for 3 years CC4 support I'd like nothing more than to buy a new server, but this has also left the school strapped for cash - Its not easy to join another server onto a CC4 system and I really want to rip that RM system out and replace it with a vanilla server system. As the server and system is only 3 years and 8 months old they are a bit loathed to do this as they spent a lot of money for the system, training etc... even though doing this will save them money in the long run, and give them a quicker and more reliable system overall and even though the server has problems and system runs slow due to older equipment and CC4 requiring so many extra machine resources. The size of the network is small and has not grown - it just seems with CC4 and Symantec updates these have put more requirements for resources on the server which just cant cope with it.

Thank Post
    I'd not be suprised if Symantec was one of the causes of the slowdown! Have you checked all the exceptions are set correctly on that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I'd not be suprised if Symantec was one of the causes of the slowdown! Have you checked all the exceptions are set correctly on that?
    I have checked it the best I can and it seems to be OK, but in Essex schools the RM Virus Protect Licence is provided by Essex County Council Broadband through an agreement they have with RM. As a result the school can't purchase it through RM and therefore RM refuses to give the school support account access to any of the RM Virus Protect documents on the system - so the school can have the product but not allowed access to support documents to check it is working OK or fix any issues with it. When you phone RM Support up they will not give you support for RM Virus Protect because the support agreement is with Essex County Council who purchased it, and not the school. When you phone Essex Council up they don't provide product support, refer it back to their RM account manager and you don't hear anything back for weeks - eventually to be told they will not give you access to the RM Virus Protect support articles. Its a massive black hole and oversite and no one seems to really care that there is no way around this and it could be affecting the school.

Thank Post
    Ouch, what a mess

Could you remove the AV software for a short period of time (1-3hrs?) to see how responsive the system is without it then re-install - the re-install may help either way and get you back to a good setup.

What services is the server currently providing? I've given RM a wide berth where I can but surely some things like the printers or AV distribution could easily be installed onto a vanilla server? having 2 servers would at least provide a little extra redundancy.

At least you're covered, its their own fault they've not extended the hardware warrantee - I'd consider that much more important than the software warrantee when you've got(by the sounds of it) alternative IT support provision

James

Thank Post
    @ CommodoreS

Sorry to hear that you are having these issues. I've done some digging and can confirm that Essex Council should be able to provide support on this.

I work for RM, could you PM me your contact details and we can have a chat about it.

Thanks in advance

Gordon Stewart

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread