+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, APC UPS and PowerChute Problem in Technical; We had a weird Wednesday this week, when suddenly the network went down and we discovered that both the UPS ...
    Thank Post

APC UPS and PowerChute Problem

We had a weird Wednesday this week, when suddenly the network went down and we discovered that both the UPS and the server (because of the UPS) were switched off (ie. no lights, although the plug was still switched on). However, after a lot of crawling around on the floor and checking connections and fuses, all powered up again fine and was no problem at all yesterday. The switch off happened within a clearly defined 20 minute period, as we were happily using the nework beforehand.

We don't have a server room, and there were pupils (junior size) in the room at the time. It is vaguely possible that one may have switched off the UPS at the plug and then switched the plug back on. But surely the UPS would have gone into battery backup first, as with a power cut? The event log on the server recorded an unexpected shutdown. The other possibility (from another posting on here) is that we had portable electrical testing about two weeks ago and maybe the plug wasn't replaced properly, but we haven't heard any clicking.

If anyone has any ideas on this...??? Otherwise we shall have to wait and see if it happens again...

In the meantime, I have another problem. I tried to open the APC PowerChute software to see if that could shed any light on what happened, and it asked me for a username and password. The software was set up by our supplier when the server was set up, and they are no longer around. I have tried various possibilities but have so far been unsuccessful. Is there a way to reset the username and password without logging on properly first (seems unlikely, but worth a stab!!)? Or any other fix for this? I am reluctant to uninstall and reinstall the software as I don't know how it was configured in the first place.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,463 Posts

Re: APC UPS and PowerChute Problem

What make and model of ups is it?

Did you try apc for the username and blank password or apc for both?

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    What make and model of ups is it?

Did you try apc for the username and blank password or apc for both?

Ben
    It's an APC Smart-UPS 1500.

I have tried suggested combinations of username and password, and they don't work.

Thank Post

If you can uninstall the software without a username/password then you can and reinstall it.

It's just a matter of selecting the type of ups you have and the type of cable with the com port that it's plugged into.

Nothing to fear.

Ben

Thank Post

If it's an RM system try batt3ry as the password.

Otherwise see here for manual removal instructions:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/1...sole-manually/

Ben

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have found that the powerchute software causes more problems than it fixes, but this was a while back. Maybe they have improved the software since then as I have not used it since. Personally I have UPS units on all essential servers but no auto shutdown software.

Thank Post

I'm use APCUPSD instead of the supplied powerchute rubish.

Alternatively if they are serially connected you could just use the windows ups service.

Ben

Thank Post

How old is the UPS?

The battery in the UPS degrades over time until it becomes almost unusable - this can take years, but if your UPS is over 3 years old you could well be having battery problems which mean in the event of a short blackout or brownout the battery could fail to take the strain and the UPS will turn off. This is not good for your servers!

The APC software will tell you how healthy your battery is, if you do not want to re-install the software on your main server, then you can install the software onto another server, or even a workstation and simply plug the UPS lead into that server or workstation.

Andrew

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    How old is the UPS?

The battery in the UPS degrades over time until it becomes almost unusable - this can take years, but if your UPS is over 3 years old you could well be having battery problems which mean in the event of a short blackout or brownout the battery could fail to take the strain and the UPS will turn off. This is not good for your servers!

The APC software will tell you how healthy your battery is, if you do not want to re-install the software on your main server, then you can install the software onto another server, or even a workstation and simply plug the UPS lead into that server or workstation.

Andrew
    It will also die during the weekly battery test. I discovered that one and was not amused

Thank Post

Thanks for variuos suggestions, folks.

The UPS is only 18 months old. I did wonder if the fortnightly self test could have sparked the failure, but have now found the entry in the Event log on the server that says the self test ran fine the day before.

The only reason I want to try and get into the PowerChute software is to try and find out what the problem was on the Wednesday. The UPS is connected to the server by USB cable. If there is another way I can look at the UPS in Windows or with free software, can someone give me some instructions?

Thanks for the suggestion about installing the software onto a workstation. Am I going to cause any further damage by unplugging the USB connection from the server to put it into the workstation? Would I have to shutdown the server first? Or use the disconnect hardware icon in the System Tray? Or can I just do it?

Thank Post

Just be careful that pulling out the usb cable doesn't make powerchute think there is a power failure and then shut down the computer.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    Just be careful that pulling out the usb cable doesn't make powerchute think there is a power failure and then shut down the computer.

Ben
    In that case, I shall give up on doing anything with PowerChute for a while. I have quite enough on my plate with sorting out the backup device problem that this shutdown seems to have caused.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andie
    Thanks for variuos suggestions, folks.

The UPS is only 18 months old. I did wonder if the fortnightly self test could have sparked the failure, but have now found the entry in the Event log on the server that says the self test ran fine the day before.
    I wouldn't trust that, mine always said UPS Test passed fine then the next it would do another test and fail, it always passed its tests as it sucessfully in its mind transfered the load to battery, but unfortunatly for the equiptment on them the load was far greater than the battery could support so they all died and it then popped off and on again and was happy. You need to get into it some how (some have a password reset jumper inside them to reset, like the CMOS one on a pc) and turn all tests off and see if it continues / happens again, my suspicions are it wont.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread