+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, [finally solved]Samsung ML3310 Printer and Paper Cut in Technical; Just thought i would post this up just incase someone else had the same problem as me. I had a ...
    Thank Post

[finally solved]Samsung ML3310 Printer and Paper Cut

Just thought i would post this up just incase someone else had the same problem as me.

I had a problem where which ever printer driver i used on the Samsung ML3310 printer, papercut would not print the username as a watermark on the bottom of the print outs. Papercut would report that the driver used was the QPDL and would not watermark the page. If a PCL driver was used, the printer never printed anything.

I tried 5 different drivers mainly from the samsung site and on the last driver to my amazement the Samsung Generic PCL Driver 2 worked which was not on the samsung site so if anyone needs the driver for this printer to enable the watermark on the pages, here is a link... Samsung Generic PCL Driver 2

Hope someone finds this useful

Thank Post
    Just need to update this thread.

Since May half term the samsung printers have been in use and it seems that althought the watermarking works, it turns out the driver i have recommended is a PCL5 driver which in fact doesn't like specific fonts, one been the Calibri font. I have found when using the Calibri font over 2 pages the driver prints a load of random characters yet it's fine if i print individual pages.

I have contact both Papercut and Samsung. Here is my email to Samsung and their reply:

Hi Samsung

I have contacted you on this matter before.

I am the Network Manager of a School in North Yorkshire, Sherburn High School. Basically I have had this problem for a while now and I’m getting very frustrated with it. The problem is with the drivers you use on these printers. I am running Server 2008 R2 as a print server to host these printers and windows 7 x86 as the client machines. I have about 3 of these around school which are used by both staff and students. On this print server, I am using Papercut which is a print management piece of software which has many useful functions, one of them been the watermarking feature Watermarking/Job Annotation.

Papercut uses the PCL or PS drivers to apply the watermark which is fine when using HP printers however I cannot for the life of me get the PCL or PS drivers to work. The reason is it seems to me that the PCL6 or the PS driver is not compatible with the printer, even the XPS doesn’t work. When I use these drivers, the printer makes a click/tick as if it is about to work but the printer doesn’t fire up. The only PCL driver that works and applies the watermark is the PCL5 driver which fires up the printer however as I said, the driver doesn’t support the font calibri when used on 2 of more pages of a document. Running the PCL5 driver is not suitable for this printer. I have tried all the drivers from your site and none of them work with papercut and only the QPDL prints however doesn’t work with papercut and the PCL5 driver, which I found on the net, this not on your site (PCL5 driver) works but doesn’t work with printing lots of pages.

Is there anything that can be done to get the PCL6 drivers to make the printer work?

Thank You
    Samsungs Reply:

Dear TIm,

Thank you for contacting Samsung, I am sorry to learn that you have been having issues with locating the correct driver. I understand how this can be an inconvenience as you have been unable to run the printers on the 2008 server.

I have included the link below to the list of drivers available on the Samsung website that may be of some use to you;

Please select 'DRIVERS' on the left and the list will appear.

ML-3310ND - DOWNLOADS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG UK

If you are unable to locate the driver required then unfortunately I am unable to offer you any alternatives and in this case we may not have the correct software available. You may be able to locate a third party driver however this is done at your own discretion.

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.

Kind regards,

Amanda
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre
    Such a very helpful reply! Do you not think Samsung, i have tried all those carppy drivers from your site, thats why i am emailing you about your carp product, the fact is Samsung, the PCL drivers aren't really PCL are they!?

Papercut have confirmed that they are unable to make the QPDL language watermark pieces of paper. They recommend finding a printer that uses PostScript or PCL drives. Looks like I won't be buying Samsung printers again.

Here are my results after an hour of testing the Samsung ML-3310 printer with different drivers:

Printer: Samsung ML3310
    Driver Language
    1640 Samsung Driver = Internal Error QPDL
    2240 Samsung Driver = Internal Error QPDL
    2855 Driver = Prints out but no watermark on the footer QPDL
    2855 PCL Driver = No Print out PCL6
    2855 PS Driver = No print out PS
    331x Series = Prints but no watermark on the footer QPDL
    331x Series XPS = No print out XPS
    Samsung universal print driver 2 = Prints but no watermark on the footer QPDL
    Samsung universal print driver 2 XPS = No print out XPS
    Samsung Universal print driver PCL6 = No print out PCL6
    Samsung Universal Print driver XPS = No print out XPS
    Samsung Generic PCL Driver 2 – Printer – with watermark however problem with font PCL5
    Samsung CLP-300 driver = Internal error QPDL
    Samsung Universal Print driver 2 PCL = No Print out PCL6

If any manages to get this carppy printer to work with PCL6 drivers, please let me know. I guess the only why im going to get this to work with the PCL5 driver is to import a normal.dot to every user when they login so that the default font is something like Arial or Tahoma which actually works with this printer.

Dam you Samsung!
    Last edited by timbo343; 14th June 2013 at 08:16 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread