+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Typical spec for new classroom PC...? in Technical; Originally Posted by witch This^ for teachers ATM. I am looking for a similar spec for the IT suite this ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    This^ for teachers ATM. I am looking for a similar spec for the IT suite this year

we got these for £400 ea. Lenovo with 5yr warranty from Misco.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    This^ for teachers ATM. I am looking for a similar spec for the IT suite this year
    definitely consider swapping the 320Gb HD for a SSD, you won't regret it and it shouldn't do much to the overall price. That's why I started using system builders instead of Lenovo/HP/Acer, it's easier to to request minor changes to spec without excessively bumping the price up.

Thank Post
    Another vote for SSD here. Our standard spec is something like this... i3, 4GB RAM, 120SSD, onboard graphics unless its for anything special and a monitor around 21.5" as long as its 1920 x 1080. Stone seem to give us the best at the moment.

BJG
    Thank Post
    Thanks for the pointers. I've been looking at SSDs, but the Dells we usually like would cost something like £200 more, so I'm wondering whether to look for a different supplier or try to fit them ourselves (not very keen on this idea). We've tried Stone and Ergo in the past, but not had great experiences with either (all our Ergo machines make a howling racket when cold). Never tried Lenovo. Maybe Ergo have improved...? Any thoughts welcome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've not had any issue with our Stone PCs since we bought 100 last summer, and Novatech's kit & warranty has been very good for us too. I can vouch for both of them first hand, there are other companies floating around here who will pitch in with their wares as well, I'm sure

Personally I'd only buy custom builds these days, although we are particularly specific about our needs when speccing up new machines - last time round we specified the exact motherboard chipset (B75) and SSD we wanted (Crucial m4 128GB, although that drive is no longer such good value - get a Samsung 840 120GB now).

6. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

StoneComputers (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Morning BJG

Ive sent over a PM with some details of VeryPC's custom built machines

Typically large OEM’s like Dell have large supply contracts with the HDD vendors to secure low pricing. If SSD forecast is higher than expected, which we have witnessed, the OEM’s are still contracted to take the HDD stock and account for the SSD price. In the future as the demand for SSD vs HDD becomes more predictable you should see sensible costing.

The advantage of using a UK system integrator is you can choose the exact spec of PC you want without paying a premium price. The majority of our PC's are going out with SSD's, we can pop in which ever size, brand or spec you prefer.

Thanks

Tom

8. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_B from:

zag (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    We use VeryPC at the 3 schools we support (2 secondaries and a primary) and we recommend them to everyone we talk to. You'll find me mention them a few times on these boards as i really do believe their quality is second to none.

The quality of their cases is excellent, their custom laser branding is a really nice touch and their support / components are excellent.

Thank Post
    It frustrates me that OEMs have been so slow to start incorporating SSD drives into their desktop/laptop computers and where it's an option they mug you for it.

You can buy a 128Gb SSD for like £60 these days. It should be standard on every corporate laptop/desktop by now IMO!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12