+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, For the detectives out there.. in Technical; Originally Posted by philtomo-25 Our method was to cut the capaitors in half and them pull them off leaving the ...
    sdc
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philtomo-25 View Post
    Our method was to cut the capaitors in half and them pull them off leaving the legs attached then soldering the news caps on.
    Agreed, this is the simplest and safest method in my experience too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdc View Post
    however it's perfectly possible to do if you're careful enough and have steady enough hands!!
    Not me which is prolly why I don't work in a bomb disposal squad lol

Thank Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys but it isn't the MB's. Fujitsu have swapped these out and sometimes it happens the next day. Unless they are swapping bad for bad. They did swap a board one time and we got defective nic in return. Also it's not the ram, i tried that early on. Ram or no ram it does the same thing. Any how i'm going to try some more tests to see how i get on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zourous View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys but it isn't the MB's. Fujitsu have swapped these out and sometimes it happens the next day. Unless they are swapping bad for bad. They did swap a board one time and we got defective nic in return. Also it's not the ram, i tried that early on. Ram or no ram it does the same thing. Any how i'm going to try some more tests to see how i get on.
    Looks like you answered ya own question then. Swapping bad for bad. Maybe the motherboards they have use cheap nasty capacitors !!

Thank Post
    Just to recap, once I find a PC in the morning that doesn't boot, I unplug it and in a few hours to half a day it will power on like normal again

I'm starting think it is something to do with the case. Something is affecting the MB. I had look inside the case and noticed the PCI slot blanking plates are quite close to the MB (see pic)2013-05-23 08.04.22.jpg. There is probably 1mm gap between the edge of the MB and the case, and I can get a piece of paper inbetween them. It could be that others are actually touching the MB?? I did remove the blanking plates from 3 of our biggest offenders last night, but this morning 2 of them were at it again, or could the damage have already been done previously. Also I don't know if this is a factor or not, but sunlight shines directly onto the cases in this room. The PC's affected do seem to be in the line of direct sunlight but I could be talking complete crap. I have moved the PC's around the room and it seems to be the same ones.

Thank Post
    Just to recap, once I find a PC in the morning that doesn't boot, I unplug it and in a few hours to half a day it will power on like normal again

I'm starting think it is something to do with the case. Something is affecting the MB. I had look inside the case and noticed the PCI slot blanking plates are quite close to the MB (see pic)2013-05-23 08.04.22.jpg. There is probably 1mm gap between the edge of the MB and the case, and I can get a piece of paper inbetween them. It could be that others are actually touching the MB?? I did remove the blanking plates from 3 of our biggest offenders last night, but this morning 2 of them were at it again, or could the damage have already been done previously. Also I don't know if this is a factor or not, but sunlight shines directly onto the cases in this room. The PC's affected do seem to be in the line of direct sunlight but I could be talking complete crap. I have moved the PC's around the room and it seems to be the same ones.

Thank Post
    We have a similar issue with some of our RM machines, our fix was to flash the BIOS for the latest version and then replace the power supply, as there is a fault with some intel BIOSes that interfere with power up cycles and can knacker power supplies and cause the intermittent power on issues.

I'd say its worth trying on a couple of your problem machines. If you can't get them on to flash the BIOS unplug all USB cables reset the power and try again, as this has also helped me turn on trouble machines in the past.

Thank Post
    NEC ML530's did the same... usually pop the lid off, flip the clear CMOS jumper, and they'd fire straight up again. Some would terminally corrupt their BIOS, so swapping the bios chip for a preprogrammed spare became most convenient quick fix.

Thank Post
    i would serioulsy be looking at this being a capacitor issue, do you have one that is out of warranty? if so it might be worth swapping the 3 capacitors and seeing if you have anymore problems, this seems VERY similar to our issues with these pcs

Thank Post
    I've looked at the capacitors and none of them are bulging or anything other than flat. Also we've had 6 MB's replaced and since then 5 have reoffended and yes Fujitsu have tried the PSU + MB at the same time and it still happens. The bios is up to date, so nothing to change there. It is like something is affecting the MB. I left the 3 usual suspects on (after school) yesterday (they do a normal shut down later on) and this morning on power-up 2 are not booting. Some time later today, they will decide that I can boot them again.

Thank Post
    I'm still working on this one and this is what I've now worked out:

It is generally happening to the same PC's although others have shown the issue
    If I leave one of the common offending PC's in our office, plugged into the power, but not turned on, several hours later when I turn it on, it fails to boot with the usual fan noise. I then have to leave it unplugged from the power for several hours again for it to boot again.

It sounds like a power supply issue to me now. They did replace a PSU and MB on one visit and it happened again the next day, but maybe this is a red herring. I'm going to maybe send another PC away to them again with details on how to replicate the problem.

Thank Post
    We had similar issues with Windows 7 machines. If they went into sleep mode or hybernation and were powered off without being bought out of sleep mode first they wouldn't power up unless power was removed for a certain amount of time. We just altered the power settings on the machines so they wouldn't go into sleep or hybernation modes and we've not had any problems since then.

You might also have allow hybrid sleep on in your advanced power options and this can cause similar issues from what i've seen.

I'd certainly try setting sleep to never in the power options. It's worth a try to see if that's what's happening at least and you haven't lost anything by trying it.

Thank Post
    Thanks snuffkins but I have already tried that. The PC is shutting down and the powersaving is set to never, but this hasn't always been set like this so maybe it has damaged the PSU somehow over time.

Thank Post
    Have you checked the bios. I had a pc that a pupil had changed the drive mode to udma or something like that and we were stumped for ages thinking it was a motherboard fault. We got no error message, just a blank screen and a power light.

Thank Post
    We have the same problem with another brand. All parts were replaced, essentially a new PC. Unplug everything inc power, try turning it on (without power) wait around 5 seconds and then plug power back in and turn on. If it boots then great, but each time it fails to boot after this run through the same process but add each peripheral back 1 by 1 to narrow down a device eg mouse, keyboard, monitor.
    Last edited by Dragon; 5th June 2013 at 11:07 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast