+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Quad display in a shop? in Technical; Hi all, a friend has a tattoo shop and in that shop they want 4 displays; one in each room, ...

Thank Post

Question Quad display in a shop?

Hi all, a friend has a tattoo shop and in that shop they want 4 displays; one in each room, these displays will be used to display something like slideshows to show off their work and also to display what they do. I've read up a bit of quad displays and keep seeing a reference to "stacking" I'm not sure how it would affect this setup but it seems significant. These will most likely be running on Windows 7, I think Windows 8 will just add problems although I think W8 runs faster than W7 the use of W8 will just create an unnecessary problem.

We have a few options re the setup,
    1. Run all four monitors from one PC tower, with 3 monitors being used for slide-show displays and the fourth being used to view admin work and internet access.
    2. Run 3 monitors from one PC and keep the admin system and display completely separate by running on a separate system. This would probably be the preferred method and would give him the option to add another monitor to the slideshow system.

For the three/four slideshow monitors, can the same software be used on each screen i.e. create desktops independent, separate from each other? I must add I use mac mainly and I can do such a thing on the mac but I wasn't sure its possible on Windows 7 I know Quicktime will let you run mutliple videos in there own screen instead of loading a second video into the first screen effectively stopping the first video and playing the second video

Does anyone have any experience of quad cards and software being used to run three/four instances of itself on desktops or workspaces as I heard them called.

TIA

Thank Post
    Do they want different slideshow on each screen or the same on each screen?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    U170 USB Desktop Virtualization Access Device | NComputing

The U170 could be used for the remote displays in digital signage mode.

Ben

4. Thanks to plexer from:

darkan9el (19th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi, yes they want to have different slideshows on each screen

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    U170 USB Desktop Virtualization Access Device | NComputing

The U170 could be used for the remote displays in digital signage mode.

Ben
    This may be an option, but it might fall down on resolution, I think they might be looking at full HD but will comfirm this as I am just guessing based on a few things they have said, but this certainly looks interesting and will read up an bit more.

Thank Post
    3 x Raspberry Pi running Xibo client with Xibo server running on the W7 box is a possibility.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just put a couple of GPUs on a motherboard, that will give you four displays easy then it is up to what software you use as to if you need extra software to make it run four slideshows in tandum. If it is videos that makes it even easier as VLC will run four instances at once.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    3 x Raspberry Pi running Xibo client with Xibo server running on the W7 box is a possibility.
    My Dads a bit of a Raspberry Pi nut, he loves it but I'd have to have a play around with that before I felt confident enough to put that idea forward but its definitely logged for future potential.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Just put a couple of GPUs on a motherboard, that will give you four displays easy then it is up to what software you use as to if you need extra software to make it run four slideshows in tandum. If it is videos that makes it even easier as VLC will run four instances at once.
    I use VLC all the time and I didn't know it did that. Is there a setting somewhere to enable that feature?

Thank Post
    Dunno about windows, but on Linux you can run as many VLCs as you want. The project is very easy if you run a multi-headed Linux box, and use gwenview or similar to run the slideshows. The main problem would be getting the VGA to travel the distance. Over 10m you'll probably need repeaters.

Thank Post
    The rooms are tight together nothing over 7 metres I would estimate, the display cabling is already installed although I'd have to ask what type of cable it is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    That would have been a nice piece of information to know as it would affect suggestions of equipment.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    Dunno about windows, but on Linux you can run as many VLCs as you want.
    It's the same on Windows. The default is to allow unlimited instances of VLC.

It should be quite easy to make VLC to play videos on a specific monitors too...

Code:
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --playlist-autostart --loop --fullscreen --no-qt-fs-controller --no-osd --no-audio --volume=0 --playlist-tree c:\Screen1\ --directx-device="\\.\DISPLAY2"
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --playlist-autostart --loop --fullscreen --no-qt-fs-controller --no-osd --no-audio --volume=0 --playlist-tree c:\Screen2\ --directx-device="\\.\DISPLAY3"
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --playlist-autostart --loop --fullscreen --no-qt-fs-controller --no-osd --no-audio --volume=0 --playlist-tree c:\Screen3\ --directx-device="\\.\DISPLAY4"

Thank Post
    awesome feedback people, learning a lot about multi display options and I'm liking the VLC route.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    VLC is a great tool for this.

If you want to make life easier too, then I've got a number of quad port graphics cards for next to nothing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast