+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, CPU: Cores in Technical; Hi..im thinking about getting a decent cpu and seeing what the latest computers can do vs the playstation (which blew ...

Thank Post

CPU: Cores

Hi..im thinking about getting a decent cpu and seeing what the latest computers can do vs the playstation (which blew up).

Is it better to get a quad core or dual core (thinking Intel 2600). A while ago i thought about getting a quad core but was warned off as apps really could not make use of them.

Regards

Ben

Thank Post
    Assuming you want to get the longest life possible out of your CPU, get as many cores as you can afford. Some apps do not make use of multiple cores (and never will), however in running many apps, the OS should make use of them simply by running different apps on different cores. Increasingly apps will make better use of multi cores so the longer you have the cpu the more apps are likely to make better use of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In this day and age? Quad is the way to go, if not more... When you say Intel 2600, what are you referring to? Are you referring to the i7 2600? If so, this is an old chip now, you should look at the i7 3770 or similar instead.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies. Quad it is. I will look @ the latest cpus. Going to build in 2 week cycles....ie mother board...ram..week1...graphics card (thinking 680 series..there are a few to select from and finding out the different series of card.ie radeon) week 2.

Ha first post ill b more specific localzuk
    Last edited by Macc; 10th May 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 1,963 Posts
    If you can wait until 4th June, you could get an i5-4670K or i7-4770K and an LGA 1150 motherboard that will support 5th gen Intel 'Broadwell' processors in the future.

That's what I would get if I was building a new computer.
    Last edited by Arthur; 10th May 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macc View Post
    Hi..im thinking about getting a decent cpu and seeing what the latest computers can do vs the playstation (which blew up).
    Generally I'd agree with @pcstru however I'm guessing your aim is a gaming PC? In that case, depending upon your budget your money will be better spent on the GPU than the CPU; don't be afraid to go for a slightly slower CPU if it'll allow you to jump up a gear on your GPU. In a gaming rig, the GPU is paramount, followed I'd say by quality RAM and then the CPU itself. (although with that said, I wouldn't buy anything less than a quad core in this day and age)

An SSD for your OS drive will make a remarkable difference, seriously it's unbelievable how much quicker everything runs on one! I won't build a PC without one again.

Also, beware when choosing a mobo that it is future proof - I tend to spend a little more than I need to on my mobo as a good one can last you through a couple of generations of CPU, but one that is cheap today may not even support the next gen, making upgrade options limited.

Make sure you google any component you buy for known faults or conflicts - nothing more frustrating than getting a brand new GPU only to find your mobo is well known to chew it up!

Finally, do not underestimate the importance of your PSU - a cheap one can cause all manor of problems, not to mention potentially irreparable damage. Buy from a reputable manufacturer (research any PSU you consider online, many are made by the same manufacturers despite having different brand names)
    Last edited by LosOjos; 10th May 2013 at 12:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread