+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, CCTV - Recommended Contractors in Technical; Apologies if this is off-topic. We're looking to extend our CCTV coverage internally & externally but no longer wish to ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

CCTV - Recommended Contractors

Apologies if this is off-topic.

We're looking to extend our CCTV coverage internally & externally but no longer wish to continue using our present contractor.

Can anyone recommend a company in Warwickshire/Leicestershire that they've had experience of and are pleased with?

Many thanks.

Thank Post

Re: CCTV - Recommended Contractors

We have always used either ADT or celestron, these are both nationwide contractors, the prices are a bit steep, however this does include all anual maintance charges and 24hr call out etc and direct link to police etc.

As far as i am aware, they are also vetted for education and goverment work, i think.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They sound good - do you know if they'll cover kit installed by a third party?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    They sound good - do you know if they'll cover kit installed by a third party?
    I doubt it, I know they do tend to carry out a free site survey when ever they do take anywhere new on, but you never know, give them a call. We had a couple of access control systems in palce which they took over from a 3rd party as the equipment was compatible with theres, so i am guessing it all depends on the site etc.

Thank Post

OK, from my experience (which is not representative around the country), I have found ADT to be utterly useless. Warranty/maintenance work is not carried out per contract, they have had a few of our cameras for several months now as they haven't yet repaired them, and they are always blaming the monitoring company/vice versa for faults.

We put the maintenance out to tender a few months back because it's due shortly, and ADT were always coming back with rediculous prices. It's no wonder the service is shoddy if they don't charge enough. Also we are now having to fight to get the above cameras back as they are saying they wont touch them as the maintenance is up.

I don't think the LEA will be going with ADT again though as it seems I'm not alone in my experience. As soon as ADT realised this they sent a senior guy round straight away Just remember you get what you pay for...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
    OK, from my experience (which is not representative around the country), I have found ADT to be utterly useless. Warranty/maintenance work is not carried out per contract, they have had a few of our cameras for several months now as they haven't yet repaired them, and they are always blaming the monitoring company/vice versa for faults.

We put the maintenance out to tender a few months back because it's due shortly, and ADT were always coming back with rediculous prices. It's no wonder the service is shoddy if they don't charge enough. Also we are now having to fight to get the above cameras back as they are saying they wont touch them as the maintenance is up.

I don't think the LEA will be going with ADT again though as it seems I'm not alone in my experience. As soon as ADT realised this they sent a senior guy round straight away Just remember you get what you pay for...
    We have the same problem with ADT and they have seriously delayed the installation of our CCTV and are too big to care....

We are now using Clearview CCTV and they are fantastic... They were recomended to us....They do a lot of Police Forces and are very reliable and accommodating…..

They are a large CCTV company.. but not too large like ADT

Speak to Kris

http://www.clearview-communications.com/index.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ClearView look great - thanks for the recommendation, I'll be ringing them on Monday.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is it possible to do the job yourself? If so I would, you don't want a contractor to come charge you a mint and do a crap job.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    Is it possible to do the job yourself? If so I would, you don't want a contractor to come charge you a mint and do a crap job.
    The thing with doing it yourself is that goverment and education bodies require certain vetting procedures and standards etc in place for health and safety etc. Plus, although you may be paid and contracted to manage the CCTV etc, you may not be PAID and contracted to install the stuff which is a totally differnt ball game.

It's like using and managing server 2003 compared to building a whole new server operating system yourself from scratch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I did think about doing it myself but then I stopped myself. It's amazing how much extra stuff we techies can take on without thinking about it sometimes. They think because it's got a plug on the end of it somewhere that it falls into our remit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Yeah, I did think about doing it myself but then I stopped myself. It's amazing how much extra stuff we techies can take on without thinking about it sometimes. They think because it's got a plug on the end of it somewhere that it falls into our remit.
    I thought that was actually part of our job description, i'm sure I read something along the lines of "If its got a plug on the end of it you will have some part in the use or maintance of it" or something along those lines

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I thought that was actually part of our job description, i'm sure I read something along the lines of "If its got a plug on the end of it you will have some part in the use or maintance of it" or something along those lines
    Hahahaha, i thought it was more, 'If it plugs in the wall we manage it, maintain it and replace it if required' OR 'If there's a whole we look after it', i prefer the latter of the two!

Thank Post

Installing CCTV? Pah.. that's a pikey job!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
    Installing CCTV? Pah.. that's a pikey job!
    Too right, I couldn't agree more, whats a 'Pikey'?

Thank Post

Gypsies I believe. It's a term regularly used around London

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast