+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, New computer build looking at Slimline or VESA mountable PC in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

New computer build looking at Slimline or VESA mountable PC

Its that time of year when we beg to the powers that be that we need to buy some new computer hardware to replace our aging machines. The trend in our school is for ICT suites to be converted into classrooms with computers around the edge. Because of this we are looking for a space saving solution. I have seen some schools where they mount the computer under the desk and it all looks very nice, but it also looks expensive to first do and looks tricky to maintain etc.

I am wondering if anyone has experience in some of the more slim line solutions out there. I have seen a couple of schools which have Dell PC's which are by the looks of it attached the monitor. Can anyone suggest anything that could fit my requirements. We are looking at up to £500 per PC. This may seem high but with a replacement cycle going up to 7 years on a desktop PC it needs to last the duration. I have been pricing up a few different options. The one that takes my fancy so far is this:

Antec ISK 110 Mini ITX Case with VESA Mount | Ebuyer.com comes in at around £50-60 ex vat including the PSU which is a standard 19V laptop jobby which you can get spares for about £10. Its tiny and fits to the back of any monitor with a VESA mount. The other components I am looking to put inside would be:

1x Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    1x Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
    1x Asus P8H61-I R2.0 Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio mini ITX Motherboard
    1x OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 SSD 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Read 550MB/s Write 500MB/s 85,000 IOPS

The price I am looking is around £350 for the components and case, plus monitor and OEM license.

Does anyone have that case or can recommend anything better? It has some good reviews like this one [Build Log] Antec ISK 110: Tinier than Tiny but I guess without seeing one who knows what it will really be like.

Cheers

Chris

Thank Post
    Got a test Antek ISK 110 case in today, wasn't the easiest computer to build but if you did a few it would be fine. Runs at 20W when idle with the above components and attaches to the back of one of our 19" widescreen monitors nicely. When running Prime95 at 100% it maxs out at about 75W and still stays relatively cool and very quiet. Will be doing some more testing next week.

Thank Post
    Have you asked Stone Computers for a quote for their USFF model? Both their SFF and USFF desktops can be mounted behind a monitor and have a 5 year on site warranty as standard which makes their prices even more attractive!

4. Thanks to Chris_ from:

lmgtfy (3rd May 2013)

XiJ

Thank Post
    Lenovo M72z/92z ?

All-in-one that will mount to a wall with a VESA mount, with the stand removed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XiJ View Post
    Lenovo M72z/92z ?

All-in-one that will mount to a wall with a VESA mount, with the stand removed.
    Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming, regarding all in ones it reminds me of the days I worked in a RM school with the nasty all in ones and remember it being a nightmare to work on in regards to swapping components and if the monitor died well you had it. Depending on warrants still worth a look at the Lenovos though Thanks

XiJ

Thank Post
    There is that to consider of course. We've put the Lenovo (various all on one models) all in ones in many of our schools and had few problems. We did have a batch of A70's that seemed to have a few issues - although Lenovo did come out and fix them.

Hard drives and Ram are easy enough. PSU possible I think. Not sure on screens. There are 3 year warranties available (included in M92z). Not sure about longer than that.

We did put some Acer all in ones in - although I'm not a massive fan of the brand. They weren't a nicely 'engineered' but looked like more standard board / components. And the PSU was external - both a pro and a con!

A final thought would be a Fujitsu USFF - think they are Q models I think. Should be able to VESA mount I'd imagine

8. Thanks to XiJ from:

lmgtfy (3rd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Have you asked Stone Computers for a quote for their USFF model? Both their SFF and USFF desktops can be mounted behind a monitor and have a 5 year on site warranty as standard which makes their prices even more attractive!
    @StoneComputers also make a new all in one too, which is wall mountable... Looking at them myself for same reason

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread