+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Apple or Android in Technical; I recently sent out a proforma for our teachers to help decide how to best allocate the funds that had ...

Thank Post

Apple or Android

I recently sent out a proforma for our teachers to help decide how to best allocate the funds that had been given to me for ICT, the results were collated in 3 categories,

1. Essential for teaching
    2. Would like to assist teaching
    3. If money was no object

When the results came in the one item everybody asked for was an ipad or 30, due to the cost and the quantity were talking about I am considering android possible the Nexus 10 ?

Upon asking the staff why they needed an ipad the general answer was that they were not aware of other options, has anybody else used android in education ?? does it have similar apps to the ipad and what is your opinion of android should I look at something other than the Nexus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeland View Post
    Upon asking the staff why they needed an ipad the general answer was that they were not aware of other options, has anybody else used android in education ?? does it have similar apps to the ipad and what is your opinion of android should I look at something other than the Nexus.
    I think you need to redress the question, why do they think an iPad will help them teach?

It's all well and good having a shiny new iPad to browse facebook on but the day is coming that parents are going to get sick of seeing school funds get spent on expensive toys that ar not being used to educate their children (whether it's Apple or Android)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    the day is coming that parents are going to get sick of seeing school funds get spent on expensive toys that ar not being used to educate their children (whether it's Apple or Android)
    Just because it's not being used by the pupils, it doesn't mean it doesn't help T&L.

Our EYFS staff have tablets, it helps them get tracking data down, including taking the required photos, quicker.

4. Thanks to X-13 from:

Marci (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Just because it's not being used by the pupils, it doesn't mean it doesn't help T&L.
    agreed, but I think far too often they're being bought because they're desirable, not because they bring anything to T&L. What I'm trying to say is that staff should have to justify why they want tablets, how they intend to use them and how this will help. All too often that step seems to be skipped and we're straight on to purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Our EYFS staff have tablets, it helps them get tracking data down, including taking the required photos, quicker.
    That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, justification for the purchase of a tablet

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

X-13 (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Determine what the problem or requirements are first, then find the tool for the job.

Don't buy the tool first then try to figure out what to do with it.

Thank Post
    I have 16 iPads and recently added a Galaxy Tab 2 for one of our pupils with very specific needs.

Given the choice I would pick Android over apple every time for a 1to1 situation, single device management and app integration is much better.
    However Apple still have better multi device management and licensing.

You can still use flash on Android and you can attach usb mouse/keyboard - usb memory sticks etc etc and there is no need for proprietary hardware or software to interface with printers.

Thank Post
    This might be of interest LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education You can download a free demo onto any android tab and have a play.

Basically it allows you to -

mass install software
    change themes and profile across multiple devices either from a website or scanning a bar code
    lock the tabs down
    access network drives / resources
    other stuff ( have a play with the demo)

10. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

CHR1S (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    iPads, nobody ever got fired for buying iPads

On a more serious note the main argument we've heard seems to be there are simply far more educational apps available for IOS.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 1st May 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I have 16 iPads and recently added a Galaxy Tab 2 for one of our pupils with very specific needs.

Given the choice I would pick Android over apple every time for a 1to1 situation, single device management and app integration is much better.
    However Apple still have better multi device management and licensing.

You can still use flash on Android and you can attach usb mouse/keyboard - usb memory sticks etc etc and there is no need for proprietary hardware or software to interface with printers.
    To some extent you have already answered my question but I wonder if anyone has any more to add?

Thank Post
    Android 4.2 multiuser support: Hands-on impressions and gallery | Computerworld Blogs

Not had a play with multi user support in Android so can not comment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Not to throw a spanner in the works but what about something like : HP Communities - HP ENVY x2: Part Laptop, Part Tablet, All-Awesome - HP Communities

That way it can be either a tablet or a laptop

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    On a more serious note the main argument we've heard seems to be there are simply far more educational apps available for IOS.
    This is true IMO. But, thats not the whole story. Tablets are only useful when used properly. They can be an amazing teaching aid and can engage kids in new and interesting ways (the lure of the shiny is strong with this one...)

I wouldn't suggest they replace standard Laptops and PCs as these still have a much wider role to play, but I would suggest that teachers could use iPads (and Android) to enhance almost any traditional lesson.

Thank Post
    I long for the day when Apple releases the Iteacher , a futuristic teacherbot that interfaces with a whole range of shiny to edumcate the kids.

Out of interest, the teachers that fancy an Ipad or 30, How many of them have given detail of how it would be used?

When we asked ours it turned out they woudln't use it for teaching, it was all for admin work ( and ebay, autotrader , iplayer and various other websites teachers use during working hours)

Thank Post
    Not to throw a spanner in the works but what about something like : HP Communities - HP ENVY x2: Part Laptop, Part Tablet, All-Awesome - HP Communities

That way it can be either a tablet or a laptop
    or even better the Samsung AtivQ can be a tablet a laptop running Windows or Android.

Samsung ATIV Q hands-on review - YouTube

18. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

mac_shinobi (11th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi @Homeland,

Through experience, we sell plenty of iPads and android tablets into schools. They're an amazing tool for students to learn on, but only when used correctly and with security procedures in place.

iPads seem to be most popular, for the reasons you've mentioned, however that's not to say android tablets offer any less in regards to functions for education. They're both great for taking the class out of the classroom and for collaborative working too.

You can get so creative with them - so many free resources out there with examples of how other teachers are using theirs.

In regards to apps - there is a vast resource for both options - I came across this non profit organisation that rates apps for iPad and android for kids to use with education in mind Reviews and Ratings for Family Movies, TV Shows, Websites, Video Games, Books and Music

If you need any further information or quotes for either option, just let me know

Liz

20. 2 Thanks to Stone_Liz:

CHR1S (12th July 2013), mac_shinobi (11th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast