+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, feasibility moving from Wireless 2.4ghz to 5Ghz in the home... in Technical; Hi there At home I am on Virgin media 60mb broadband and have the super hub modem, was taking a ...
    Thank Post

feasibility moving from Wireless 2.4ghz to 5Ghz in the home...

Hi there

At home I am on Virgin media 60mb broadband and have the super hub modem, was taking a look at the configuration and noticed the wireless band functionality.

Correct me if I am wrong but 5Ghz has a number of benefits such as less interference meaning better wireless speeds, doesn't have a better range as 2.4ghz and potentially I could use 300mb rather than the 144mb I currently use with G.

I have probably up to 20 devices in the home which connect to the wireless. How would I go about knowing if the devices are compatible with 5Ghz without going through the manual for every device? Is there an easier way? Could I use an app of somesort?

On a slightly related note. I noticed there is an option for 'greenfield mode', this is currently off. Any benefits of turning this on?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    You'd be lucky if all your devices support 5GHz. It should give better range and less interference but lots of devices will only be 2.4GHz - I've found most Apple Products support it and newer Laptops/Tablets do but also a lot won't support it, a quick google search should reveal if the device supports it or not.

Greenfield mode is supposed to increase throughput on 802.11n I believe, but given the shocking performance I've seen from most VM Superhubs you'll probably not notice much difference. I gave up on ours after not being able to get anymore than 10meg tops through wireless despite playing about with all the settings and got a separate TP-Link router running OpenWRT which is great.
    Last edited by anthonyd; 28th April 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Thank Post
    My Netgear hub has both 2.4 and 5ghz enabled. If a device works with 5ghz it gets listed as a wireless sid-5ghz if the device does not work with this it does not get listed.

Thank Post
    The easiest way is to set it to 5Ghz and see what doesn’t connect then you will have your answer.

You can easily move it back to 2.4Ghz later.

Thank Post
    I'd advise getting a proper dual band router that can support both concurrently. The VM "Super" hub does support either 2.4 or 5 but not both at the same time. This way you can take advantage of both.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread