+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Design Tech and Graphics - Laser Cutter or 3D Printer in Technical; The head has asked me to look into a laser cutter for graphics and DT, I think we would be ...
    Thank Post

Design Tech and Graphics - Laser Cutter or 3D Printer

The head has asked me to look into a laser cutter for graphics and DT, I think we would be better off getting a 3d printer rather than old tech laser cutters, what would you do and what does your DT and graphics departments use.

6k+ on a laser cutter setup or 4k on MakerBot 2x setup, choices.

Thank Post
    We have a a2 size laser cutter. When I asked the head of dt if he can only have another laser cutter or a 3d printer he said laser cutter. In fact we are getting him both but...

3d printers are great but material costs and tile spent printing a single item means they aren't great for schools yet.

3. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Disease (26th April 2013)

Thank Post
    I was skeptical on laser cutters, but some of the stuff our DT department have produced with it is astonishing. That was a cheapy Chinese one, but it does have a decent service contract.

Makerbot is awesome, but there are some fairly steep running costs involved I believe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    We currently run a versalaser vl200 which after 8 years has just had a replacement laser cartridge fitted, I think there is place for both.

If we were to get another bigger laser cutter we would look at the HPC range laser engraving machines laser cutting machines, HPC laser LTD

3D printers are slow, that said I think for the students that would make use of them the results would be well worth it, feedstock wise PLA can be bought for around 20 - 25 a kilo which is 330m of filament in 1.75mm

A Matter of Scales: How Much Can You Print with a Single 1kg Spool?

Ben

Thank Post
    I was looking at the HPC LS 6090 Pro Laser as my laser cutter option and adding on the extractor The problem I have is I have been given no hint by the DT department only that they need a laser cutter, isit just me or should they not really research a bit into the expensive equipment they want.

HPC LS 6090 Pro
    Last edited by Disease; 26th April 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Thank Post
    I would have both (I'm looking for a second hand laser for my workshop).

Laser cutters are fairly limited in terms of the cut (2d) which forces students to work within the confines of construction from sheet. That's not a bad thing as such. They are fast, so a class full of students won't have the frustration of having to wait all term to schedule their job. They need some care in use or you will be blowing up laser tubes at a few hundred quid a pop.

3d printers require care in design and model slicing to get the best out of them (again not a bad thing but the issues are more complex and detailed than with a laser). They are slow - even simple, small prints will take 10's of minutes + setup time, meaning in a typical 40/50minute lesson, one or if your are lucky two students might get use of the printer. The quality of the output is low (ok for prototype, not for shelf product).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I was looking at the HPC LS 6090 Pro Laser as my laser cutter option and adding on the extractor The problem I have is I have been given no hint by the DT department only that they need a laser cutter, isit just me or should they not really research a bit into the expensive equipment they want.

HPC LS 6090 Pro
    Indeed they should be, with that one you've linked make sure you've got doors wide enough to get it through We vent out to the outside using an inline centrifugal fan in some duct work.

LS6840 Laser Engraver and cutter [Laserscrpt LS6840] - 4,150.00 : laser engraving machines laser cutting machines, HPC laser LTD

Ben

Thank Post
    We've got a couple of laser cutters, a big router, a plasma cutter and an (older model) 3D printer.

The laser cutters get used a lot, the plasma cutter gets used a fair bit, the router slightly less and the 3D printer is used the least.

If you don't have one, buy a laser cutter - you'll get more use out of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    what would you do and what does your DT and graphics departments use.
    We don't have any room for DT equipment, so I've been wondering if there's anywhere that does 3D printing / routing / laser cutting for next-day delivery. It would make sense - put a bunch of decent equipment in a warehouse somewhere and have people send you stuff to cut / print out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    We don't have any room for DT equipment, so I've been wondering if there's anywhere that does 3D printing / routing / laser cutting for next-day delivery. It would make sense - put a bunch of decent equipment in a warehouse somewhere and have people send you stuff to cut / print out.
    There are lots of 3d printing suppliers cropping something like this Home - www.3dparts.co.uk - 3D Printing and Rapid Prototyping Bureau

Or Plextech UK lol joe-king

Ben

12. Thanks to plexer from:

dhicks (26th April 2013)

Thank Post
    @Disease - they need whatever you tell them they need

The laser cutter \ engraver the engineering dept bought here has plenty of use out of term time engraving iPads and Macbooks with the College and asset details

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread