+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Server Spec in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Didn't realise storage was going to give me this many options. I think a 10/15k SAS setup is out of the windows, I just don't have the budget. I also think the E5-2620 is a stretch to far. Maybe I should have stated this at the start but, I have a budget of £1500 for hardware (Server licensing comes from another budget).

After taking the advice on here I am now looking at a HP ML350 G8 with E5-2420 and 8GB RAM, RAM can easily be upgrade to 16GB at a later date if required.

As for storage I am now considering 2 Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD in RAID 1 for OS and either 3 or 4 7.2k 1TB SATA drives in either RAID 5 or 10
    Last edited by Torrevez; 24th April 2013 at 01:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As I said above, becareful SSD's don't always play nice in RAID. Can't remember the exact details but I'm sure there's a discussion on here about it somewhere. Also 256mb is a lot for an OS. Personally, I'd look at 1x 128Gb SSD. May free up some money to boost CPU or look at different HDD options?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    We support a number of primary schools, and I've watched weaker CPU's idle at 2%, I'm never convinced - unless we are talking big SQL db's - that more CPU is really needed on a small network.
    200 client PCs isn't that small...

Not sure of the current advisability of RAIDing SSD's. Beside, does the OS really need to have a redundant drive? probably not. A single SSD for OS would be nice though.
    We have 16 SSDs in a server in RAID 50. Works great. However, they are enterprise SSDs and cost a pretty penny. If you're going to RAID normal SSDs, then you need to make sure your controller supports it, and that they support it too.

I'd point out that it's a primary school and, from what I've seen in local primaries, budget and workload very rarely require such high specs. 7.2k SATA would be fine. And either RAID10 or RAID5 for a bit of data security.
    Again, don't assume low requirements simply because of primary age kids - 200 PCs can generate a fair amount of load, even at primary level.

One thing to remember with all these suggestions is this - whatever you get, you've gotta be comfortable managing it. The suggestions of using Hyper-V etc... are all sound, but they add a layer of complexity that not everyone is happy with (there are some techs down here who aren't comfortable with it). Sometimes, keeping things 'simple' is a better option.
    Last edited by localzuk; 24th April 2013 at 01:35 PM.

4. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

tmcd35 (24th April 2013), zag (24th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Ok so RAID may not be a good idea with SSD's. How about using WD Velociraptor's for everything

2 250GB WD Velociraptors in RAID 1 for OS and 3 1TB WD Velociraptors in RAID 5 for data.

This gives us some redundancy, 2tb of storage space, 10k spindle speed and I think I can squeeze it into my budget.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That would be the sort of thing I'd be looking at.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrevez View Post
    Ok so RAID may not be a good idea with SSD's. How about using WD Velociraptor's for everything

2 250GB WD Velociraptors in RAID 1 for OS and 3 1TB WD Velociraptors in RAID 5 for data.

This gives us some redundancy, 2tb of storage space, 10k spindle speed and I think I can squeeze it into my budget.
    One thing i would be wary of with using the raptors is double checking they support relevant features such as TLER, anti-vibration etc as i don't think they are classed as an enterprise drive and may not be supported under raid / specific controllers.

WDC do a range of enterprise drives 3.5" RE4 and 2.5" WD XE which may be more suitable (or consider Seagate Constellation / Savvio etc).

Ed

Thank Post
    After a bit of googleing it appears that the WD Velociraptors do have TLER, anti-vibration ect. It's seems the only reason they have changed from Enterprise to Workstation is the inclusion of Advance Format which I believe is only an issue on older server/OSs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much all hard disks are Advanced Format disks now - they now store things in 4k sectors, but can emulate 512byte sectors if they're 512e drives.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12