+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Photocopiers - Go straight to the manufacturers or use a 3rd party? in Technical; Hi there, One of my schools is due a new photocopier and I was wondering whether people went straight to ...

Thank Post

Photocopiers - Go straight to the manufacturers or use a 3rd party?

Hi there,
    One of my schools is due a new photocopier and I was wondering whether people went straight to the manufacturer or used a 3rd party for leasing / support? We currently use Ricoh direct but if anyone has some recommendations for companies they use that would be great (We're slightly crippled by needing an AirPrint MFC though )

Thank Post
    Hi Primary Tech,
    PaperCut software has AirPrint support, its a bit of a bolt on as it requires a MAC workstation. PaperCut is sold through resellers, Danwood (www.danwood.co.uk) are a reseller that know what they are doing, try getting in touch with them.
    Cheers
    Bainer

Thank Post
    Past experience shop around and don't just pick the first comapny. I haven't found many others apart from Ricoh that do direct.

You will more than likely find a company local and cheaper than Danwood.

Thank Post
    Cost is important but there are other factors.
    If it was me i would look for a company that:
    1. was fairly local - hardware can (and does go wrong) so call out times need to be reasonable
    2. has a reasonable contract - You would not want to be paying double every year just because you missed the small print
    3. knows and understands the software you want to use (papercut)
    4. pick someone you like and get on with - you will be working with them

If going direct to manufacturers was the best answer then all the copier dealers in the country would be in trouble Plus not all copier manufacturers sell direct to end users.

PaperCut MF - How to buy and where to get. - PaperCut MF may help

You do not need an airprint enabled device you can print via a mac server or use something like http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/FingerPrintIOSPrinting
    Last edited by Big_Ted; 24th April 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Thank Post
    We have just gone to Konica Minolta direct after a direct lease with Toshiba. Was cheaper option for us.

Thank Post
    Sharp supply and support devices direct. The MFP's support printing via IOS devices using the Sharpdesk Mobile app, if that's what you need the Airprint functionality for?

Thank Post
    Just be careful, some of the copier rental/leasing contracts have some real nasties in them and unless it's a government framework contract I really would get the contract looked at by a solicitor before signing up to it. There have been quite a few schools ripped off with things like the 'evergreen' contract which is virtually impossible to get out of and costs a fortune.

Thank Post
    I deal with all the copiers in my school and apart from a couple of small ones that we one and just have maintainance contracts on we have always found going direct to the company's the best option.

We currently use Ricoh and canon. Formally all canon but changing to mostly Ricoh now.

Ricoh offer us OGC terms or what ever the new equivalent is including 4 hour response times. I also find there hardware vastly superior to canon. We currently have a pro1107ex aficio MPC4501, aficio mp5002 and a aficio MC2000 from Ricoh.

The newest one is the MP5002 which we have had for about 5 months, done nearly 150000 copies on it and not needed to call an engineer even once for a breakdown on it yet (hopefully I haven't jinxed it).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,861 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We ended up going direct this time, as the manufacturer was able to offer us a price which was half that of the resellers, through a CPC contract. They use the same technicians down here too - as its rural...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Ricoh, Konica Minota, Kyocera, Sharp all deal direct to schools and most will use a Govt framework.
    They all support Papercut embedded.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread