+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Tablet Hybrids in Technical; I am looking to invest in around 25 tablet hybrids where the screen can detatch from the keyboard, preferably with ...

Thank Post

Tablet Hybrids

I am looking to invest in around 25 tablet hybrids where the screen can detatch from the keyboard,
    preferably with an integrated 1GB NIC.

Does anybody else have any experience with these and coule either advise which to look at or which to avoid,
    also must be capable of running Windows 7 or 8 Pro and not be running Windows RT.
    Last edited by Homeland; 17th April 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unfourtunaly I don't know of any of the new ones with ethernet, they will also run rubbish on 7 as it s nowhere near as optimised as 8. I'd look at using 8 or skiping this gen and waiting for the new 22nm atom for performance.

Actually the i5 based ones might do it but you get 3h battery instead of 14 and a CPU fan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Actually the i5 based ones might do it but you get 3h battery instead of 14 and a CPU fan
    What do you mean by 14 and CPU fan ??? as a company called ergo have offered me an i5 at a really good price;
    http://www.ergo.co.uk/Products/Table...go_Hybrid.aspx

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeland View Post
    What do you mean by 14 and CPU fan ??? as a company called ergo have offered me an i5 at a really good price;
    http://www.ergo.co.uk/Products/Table...go_Hybrid.aspx
    Sorry, was on a junky Nexus 7 which has a keyboard about as responsive as a coma patient.

14 was 14 hours of battery life on the current Atom based ones with the extended keyboard battery.

CPU fan was the fact that the iSeries of CPUs still generate too much heat to be passively cooled so need a vent and a fan, adding a spinning part, noise and discomfort if using as a tablet.

This look like nice little units but I'm guessing 3-5hours battery life max and almost certain that it will have a cpu fan and vent of some kind, all of the iSeries ones I have seen have.

If they look like they will work for you all good, just be sure to check one out first to see what they have sacrificed for the form factor.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the fan, I just have not paid as much attention to the ISeries stuff in that form factor as the CPUs are still power hogs for that size which means generally a heavy thick tablet or a rubbish battery life.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 18th April 2013 at 01:47 AM.

Thank Post
    I must admit both the IT Co-ordinator any myself where taken back by how much weight was in the unit,
    the chap that came to see us claimed that with the keyboard dock it would have aroun 8 hours battery life.

And one thing that I did like about these units is they came with a VGA port and in internal NIC, although after closer inspection
    it would seem the the NIC is a 10\100 USB unit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeland View Post
    I must admit both the IT Co-ordinator any myself where taken back by how much weight was in the unit,
    the chap that came to see us claimed that with the keyboard dock it would have aroun 8 hours battery life.

And one thing that I did like about these units is they came with a VGA port and in internal NIC, although after closer inspection
    it would seem the the NIC is a 10\100 USB unit.
    USB2 only goes up to something like 300Mbit/s effective speed if dedicated and at full ball ( Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) a Gig adapter would be shedding at the very least 70% of it's performance so it makes it uneconomical to add in gig gear and power consumption if you are not really getting that much out of it.

The keyboard must have another battery in it which is good but it is all down to what you need. If the tablet factor is not going to work well it may be cheaper to get standard laptops, they have a bunch less connectors to go wrong and less stuff (keyboards) to get lost etc.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 18th April 2013 at 10:22 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread