+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, Help me design our network in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay You can use DFS for roaming profiles, you just have to make sure they're pointing to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    You can use DFS for roaming profiles, you just have to make sure they're pointing to a single target.
    DFS-R specifically, I mean Which would be fairly pointless on a single target naturally.

Thank Post
    You can use DFSR, you just have one folder target enabled so they always access that one. It may initially sound pointless, but we use it to replicate to a server in another building and if we lose the main server we can just enable the second server as the folder target and disable the main server as a target. Yes, you may get some corrupted profiles and a small amount of data loss that hasn't synced, but it means we can have minimal downtime.

3. Thanks to teejay from:

synaesthesia (28th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Are you housing "everything" in one location?

You need to consider carefully your 19" rack layouts, temperature control and UPS provision.

I'm not seeing why you need so many servers or why wireless isn't right up there at the top of your list. It's a real problem-solver.

I will be putting them on two separate 19" racks and there will be proper airconditioning and I will work out UPS Wattage once I have finalised what equipment I am going to buy.
    I think I will reduce the number of virtual servers, how many do you recommend.
    Regarding wireless, it is definately on my list but I want to get the basics done first and then work on wireless in 2nd stage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by san_narula View Post
    I will be putting them on two separate 19" racks and there will be proper airconditioning and I will work out UPS Wattage once I have finalised what equipment I am going to buy.
    I think I will reduce the number of virtual servers, how many do you recommend.
    Regarding wireless, it is definately on my list but I want to get the basics done first and then work on wireless in 2nd stage.
    I like the concept of making servers service-based as well to limit the possibility of an upgrade or problem with one system causing issues with another installed on the same server. However, I think 50 servers for your environment is overkill. There are many services that are complementary or very unlikely to ever conflict and can be installed on the same server. I think 25 VMs would be the absolute upper end for your requirements and you could probably do it with 20 or maybe even less and still have services very logically split across the servers.

Even if you are going to do wireless as a second phase (we did the same), I would recommend getting PoE switches as that will make it much easier to roll out as many WiFi AP's can use PoE, which will mean less work and cost to install them (no mains power required for each). If you don't purchase PoE switches you could always use PoE injectors, but that's an extra cost and adds mess into your data cabinets. I know, because I have one building that I didn't buy a PoE switch for and we have to use 6 injectors to power all of the APs (and security cameras) for that building.

6. Thanks to seawolf from:

san_narula (29th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    @Sam_narula I am a ICT manager at a P-12 school in Victoria, Australia as well and went through a very similar upgrade cycle when I took over the role in late 2009. We have 75 staff, 550 students, over 400 college owned devices (Mac, PC, and iPad) and an iPad and BYOD program.

I have replaced nearly every system, both hardware and software in that timeframe. In 2009, many systems did not work very well at all, there was very limited WiFi, no working backups systems, and no remote possibility of a BYOD program being implemented. We had the virtually the same problems that you need to solve or worse and we have managed to do so for 99% of them (I won't say 100% because when does that ever happen in IT?? .
    Thanks for the very detailed post seawolf.
    I think our network is very similar in size to yours, it's just 2/3rd the size and spread over only 4 buildings. I would definitely like to know about your experiences and an onsite tour will be even better. I will send you a pm regarding this.

Sir

Thank Post
    Hi San,

How are you doing? I have 9 VM's and a few physicals for backup- Veeam.....
    A massive vote for LANSCHOOL here
    800 kids- 100 staff/ exchange for staff, 365 for students.
    Sophos AV found excellent but possible expensive on it's own. We buy into consortium so have volume discount.....

Thank Post
    Hello San,

I would love to hear on the above . Hope everything went on well as you wanted .

what about on printing ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123