+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, ARGH - Just started PC for the first time in 8 months and it's died! in Technical; Having been in a rented house for 8 months, we finally moved into our new home a few weeks ago. ...
    Thank Post

ARGH - Just started PC for the first time in 8 months and it's died!

Having been in a rented house for 8 months, we finally moved into our new home a few weeks ago.

Today I thought it's about time I setup the PC again (as we left it boxed up in the rented house as there wasn't the room for the desk etc) so I get it all out of the box and plug everything and then switch it on. When it was first switched on, it booted straight into Windows 7 and then automatically started to install updates for Acrobat Reader and the AV, during this the machine just went off as though I had pulled the power lead from the back of it.

Now when I switch it on I get nothing on screen, no beeps, nothing at all. When I remove the RAM I get the beeps to tell me that there is an issue with the RAM but I get no HDD action or anything!

I have tried firing it up with one stick of RAM at a time but still nothing.

I have removed all the only additional card which is a Sapphire HD5570 card and that's it.

The board is a Asus P8H67-M LE

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Thank Post
    That is really weird, mine is in daily use though but first time I booted it yesterday mine just acted dead.

I ended up just pulling the lead out the back for 5 minutes and plugging it back it and it was fine.

Have you checked the power lead works by say plugging it into the monitor or a printer is its same type connection? Any lights on the board?

3. Thanks to MatthewL from:

bodminman (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    When the power button is pressed I can see the MB light coming on, the CPU and chassis fans spin but there is nothing else.

Because the pc was in a box in the garage over the winter, do you think this has caused some damage?

Thank Post
    Where was the unit stored, was it left to acclimatise in it's new location before being turned on?

After reseating all cards, ram, etc. I would then look at testing another PSU.

Rob

6. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Take the power lead out and hold the button in for 20 secs. I had the same issue on a PC (my second server actually) and this is the only thing that sorted it - and I don't know why...

Or else it is the PSU

8. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    Having been in a rented house for 8 months, we finally moved into our new home a few weeks ago.

Today I thought it's about time I setup the PC again (as we left it boxed up in the rented house as there wasn't the room for the desk etc) so I get it all out of the box and plug everything and then switch it on. When it was first switched on, it booted straight into Windows 7 and then automatically started to install updates for Acrobat Reader and the AV, during this the machine just went off as though I had pulled the power lead from the back of it.

Now when I switch it on I get nothing on screen, no beeps, nothing at all. When I remove the RAM I get the beeps to tell me that there is an issue with the RAM but I get no HDD action or anything!

I have tried firing it up with one stick of RAM at a time but still nothing.

I have removed all the only additional card which is a Sapphire HD5570 card and that's it.

The board is a Asus P8H67-M LE

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    This sounds like a power supply problem. Sounds like the PSU is not allowing enough power through. Maybe worth testing with a different PSU.

10. Thanks to Kingstech from:

Thank Post
    Sounds like a dead/dying PSU. I have had the same issue where the fans would spin but the board wasn't getting enough power to boot. As other posters have suggested try it with a different PSU.

12. Thanks to JonThompson from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Where was the unit stored, was it left to acclimatise in it's new location before being turned on?

After reseating all cards, ram, etc. I would then look at testing another PSU.

Rob
    When the machine was removed from the garage in the old house, it was put into the spare room here in the new house.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I shall get hold of another PSU from work and try that.

I'll post an update once that has been tried.

Regards

Thank Post
    Might be worth testing the monitor before you go through the hassle of changing the power...

Thank Post
    Check the power cables on the mono before you do anything else, might have come loose in transit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Take the power lead out and hold the button in for 20 secs. I had the same issue on a PC (my second server actually) and this is the only thing that sorted it - and I don't know why...

Or else it is the PSU
    the board has power all the time the cable is plugged in, in some cases the machine is in a power state it cannot recover from. when you pull the cord their is still power in the supply smoothing capacitors that will provide enough juice to keep the mobo in standby for ~10s .

If you pull the cord and then try to power on it should fully depleat the PSU instantly.

TT

18. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

witch (3rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    It might be worth trying a new bios battery, if this is flat some boards won't boot up especially if it has been unplugged for months. if you have another pc knocking around its a something quick to try.

20. Thanks to glen_j from:

bodminman (19th April 2013)

Thank Post
    I have just found my old power supply tester and here is a picture of the test.

ImageUploadedByEduGeek1364982820.510245.jpg

Thank Post
    I might be wrong, but it looks like the newer power supplies discharge the capacitors instantly, when I'm maintaining my computer I unplug the lead, and press the power button a few times just to make sure it's fully discharged, no action when I do so.

23. Thanks to Vierkantdel from:

bodminman (19th April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast