+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Help with laptop choice! in Technical; I posted a question about Lenovo ThinkPads the other day and had some interesting and useful replies - thank you! ...

Thank Post

Help with laptop choice!

I posted a question about Lenovo ThinkPads the other day and had some interesting and useful replies - thank you!

I found it really helpful to hear people's opinions and experiences, so I wondered if anyone would be able to share their thoughts on my shortlist of four prospective laptops for our teachers ...

DELL Latitiude E5430
    Core i3-3120M 2.50 Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD

Toshiba Satellite Pro L850-1DW
    Core i3-2370M 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

Toshiba Satellite Pro C850-1FR
    Core i3-2312M 2.10 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530
    E530 Core I3-3110M, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD

Hard drive size isn't an issue for us, so although the Dell is the underdog in that department I haven't ruled it out and *think* that it might be the strongest machine in the list ....

Would anyone be able to advise on which would be my best buy?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Out of those four I'd be inclined to go with the lowest price, as I assume your school will too.

They will all have the same warranty they will all have the same messing when it comes to getting a warranty repair if required, the one thing I will say is that in my experience DELL laptops have a nice power connector, it seems sturdy and doesn't seem to get lose or wobble no matter how much it is used, a faulty/lose power port seems to be a growing issue espcially as people tend to not take great care of laptops.

Thank Post
    I'd go for the ThinkPad Edge - I've used and deployed these in a lot of schools, and absolutely swear by them!
    Support is still provided by IBM too so it's REALLY good!

Thank Post
    Misco has a cracking deal on the Toshiba laptops until the end of the month.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your comments.

Can anyone shed any light on the naming convention used by Toshiba for their laptops? For example is a L850 a lesser model than a C850 and what do the other letters and numbers mean (1DW/1FR etc)?!

:-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    I've setup 2 edge e530's today and I like them nice rubberised back on them.

Trackpad is a bit wired.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I've setup 2 edge e530's today and I like them nice rubberised back on them.

Trackpad is a bit wired.

Ben
    Hi Ben,

Yes, I have seen other people commenting on the trackpad .... what is the problem with it?

rn

Thank Post
    The whole track pad is clickable, left side left click right side right click plus you have 3 buttons above it and the little red dot as well.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The whole track pad is clickable, left side left click right side right click plus you have 3 buttons above it and the little red dot as well.

Ben
    Sounds interesting! Do your users like it?

Thank Post
    Haven't given them out yet only started setting the first ones up today.

Ben

Thank Post
    We like the Toshiba's. We always get them with upgraded warranty.

Have a chat with @Millgate Luke usually does us a great price on them

Thank Post
    We have some of the Dells here, lovely laptops, also really easy to deploy if you're using WDS or similar as they do a specific driver pack download so no flagging about finding individual drivers. Try haggling a bit on the hard drives, 'like your laptop but other makes have a bigger he'd tends to work ;-)'

Thank Post
    The Intel 3xxx series devices are a significant step up and this has to be taken into account don't purchase by price alone.
    All vendors will be dumping 2xxx and 3xxx models between now and June as Haswell comes on line.
    Microsoft and Intel have been working hard to align the Haswell Gen4 CPU and Windows Blue its the same reason we haven't seen any really significant influx of Windows Pro tablets.
    Everything hinges on Haswell.
    My money would be on the Dell or Lenovo with the final decision based on the price difference v the HDD size.
    If the the 2xxx series machines were that cheap and the users wouldn't notice the performance hit or battery life differences you could make the budget stretch a bit further.

Its Poker Face time, my guess is the best deals haven't got here yet. We are in "Burn the Budget" week and its the end of the fiscal cycle for many vendors and buyers.
    If you don't have to spend it this week I would hold my cards, next week will be the real deal. If you want 24hr battery life and a week on standby or i5 Windows Pro tablets wait for Haswell.

However, its your budget and your call.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    The Intel 3xxx series devices are a significant step up and this has to be taken into account don't purchase by price alone.
    All vendors will be dumping 2xxx and 3xxx models between now and June as Haswell comes on line.
    Microsoft and Intel have been working hard to align the Haswell Gen4 CPU and Windows Blue its the same reason we haven't seen any really significant influx of Windows Pro tablets.
    Everything hinges on Haswell.
    My money would be on the Dell or Lenovo with the final decision based on the price difference v the HDD size.
    If the the 2xxx series machines were that cheap and the users wouldn't notice the performance hit or battery life differences you could make the budget stretch a bit further.

Its Poker Face time, my guess is the best deals haven't got here yet. We are in "Burn the Budget" week and its the end of the fiscal cycle for many vendors and buyers.
    If you don't have to spend it this week I would hold my cards, next week will be the real deal. If you want 24hr battery life and a week on standby or i5 Windows Pro tablets wait for Haswell.

However, its your budget and your call.
    Thanks for your comments. My main priority is to buy something that is going to last us at least three years without suffering from bits dropping off, battery nightmares (such as I have experienced in the past with some Dells) and general decline.

I was erring on the side of the Toshibas - I am not sure that my current set of users would notice whether they had 2xxx or 3xxx - would it be that noticeable?! My main priority is to get the most robust and best machine for my money ....

I have sat on the fence for far too long and it is now time for me to make a decision ... I need to place an order soonish! One more night to sleep on it ...

Thanks for your advice.

rn

Thank Post
    All of those machines are capable lasting 3 years, the keyboards need keys that are not easily picked off.
    Dont forget the batteries, when used day in day out you can find yourselves changing batteries after 18 months or less.
    This can bang a big hole in your next budget if you haven't allowed for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast