+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, 19" Rack layout in Technical; This question is all about laying out racks. I've the greatest job in the world at the moment: replacing the ...

Thank Post

19" Rack layout

This question is all about laying out racks.

I've the greatest job in the world at the moment: replacing the entire ethernet and wireless access networks at our school.

I'm working with the legacy cabling which is a bit naff but at least terminates in labelled patch panels mounted in a 12U 19" rack high in the comms cupboard.

Underneath the 12U rack I'm going to floor-mount a new 28U rack (with trunking in between) and lay it out with:

1 x 52 port switch (1U)
    2 x 10 port PoE switches for the wireless APs (2 x 1U)
    2 x WAP controller boxes (2 x 1U)
    1 x mains distribution outlets from the UPS (1U)
    2 x mains distribution outlets (2 x 1U)

I'm looking at a variety of cable-management products and I'm guessing what they're good for:

a) brushed cable entry (neatly gets from inside the cabinet to the front)
    b) ducted cabled management (neatly moves vertical cables side-to-side at the front)
    c) cable tidys (bunches cables to move them off sideways - can't see a lot of use?)

I've kind of got a plan to install the main core 52 port switch about 2/3rds of the way up with brushed cable entry panels above and below, then install one 10-port access switch above it and one below etc.

One rule I have determined I'll need is to label every patch cable at each end with a unique reference number, probably using a simple label-printer label wrapped around unless there's a better solution?

Does anyone have any design guidelines for laying all this lot out please? Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    For cable management nothing can beat velcro strapping for bundle the cables together. You could get some velcro straps that have little clips on them on so you can clip them to the edge of rack to the pull the cables to one side. Just makes it so much easier then cables ties so you can add and remove cables as you please without having to replace the cable ties and you won't risk damaging the cables generally if you pull the velcro a little bit too tight.

3. Thanks to mdench from:

catch21 (22nd March 2013)

Thank Post
    Genius idea, thanks .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Put the switch at the top and the power at the bottom (or the other way round if you prefer). UPS always at the bottom.
    Networking at the front, power at the back. You can switch networking to the back for a server rack to keep your patch cabling short. Always run fibre to the back.

As for labelling, I'd suggest a label printer of some sort. Also don't use selotape, the heat will eventually cause it to peel.

6. Thanks to Geoff from:

catch21 (22nd March 2013)

Thank Post
    At the earliest chance I want something like this - DYMO | RHINO 5200

Dymo make a label for these that you can heat-shrink onto the cables... genius. That combines my love of tidy cables and fire! What more could you ask for???

Also... colour-code your patches for different VLANs and stick a diagram of your switch port layout inside the cab.

If you are mounting the new rack against the wall, make sure that the power is presented to the front of the rack - it just makes things easier in the long run. Oh... and make sure that you get a deeper cabinet than you need.

8. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

catch21 (22nd March 2013), john (27th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks. 52 port is 350mm depth max. Can only fit a 600mm deep cabinet in the closet. Good enough I hope.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread