+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Here's a question for you! in Technical; Hey there, Got a bit of a strange question but it's one I hope someone can answer, even if it's ...
    Thank Post

Here's a question for you!

Hey there,

Got a bit of a strange question but it's one I hope someone can answer, even if it's just to say 'You can't do that'.

On-site we have several NetGear Print Servers (PS101, PS110) - we have connected these to a series of PC Print Servers (so the PC handles printing and sends print jobs to the Netgears). However sometimes when the teaching staff/students want to print, they forget to turn the power to the Print server on.

As a result of this, when you print, a dialog box appears on the PC print server saying 'Cant connect to print server - OK/Cancel'. Now that's expected behaviour but even after turning the Print server back on - the dialog remains and won't send the job until you click OK.

We don't want to give all and sundry access to the PC print servers - so my question is - is there a way to automatically click OK on this box OR to disable this box altogether - so that it just keeps trying to send the job until it succeeds.

I've thought about scripting something to press OK - the problem is the script would need to run like a Service so that it is always running - sees the window and clicks the button for you... rather overkill if there's a better way to do it.

Cheers,

Az

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Here's a question for you!

You could always leave the print sevrer switched on

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    You could always leave the print sevrer switched on
    Nothing would please me more but the teachers have this annoying habit of turning everything off - probably because the school gets large electricity bills... there go my Frankenstein experiments...

Thank Post

If you have netgear print servers, which allow you to connect the printers to the network, can I ask why you have then installed these printers onto PC's as print servers, and not onto your main server?

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steveg
    If you have netgear print servers, which allow you to connect the printers to the network, can I ask why you have then installed these printers onto PC's as print servers, and not onto your main server?

Steve
    Fair Point

Thank Post

A fair point - because the PCs double up as regional internet control stations. It also keeps print management local to the classroom and doesn't bog down our already loaded servers with print queues.

It was more of a 'management decision' than anything - perhaps the logic behind it baffles Mr. Spock.

Thank Post

There was a small system tray applet that used to automatically prees OK buttons, although this may be a little dangerous!

Steve

Thank Post

Not sure if this would work, I noticed the program elsewhere on the forums.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd2.html

Answer 'Yes' to a standard Windows message-box.
    Code:
    nircmd.exe dlg "" "" click yes
    Not used the program myself, but people seem to think it works well. Not sure if that applet command will do the job for you either.

Thank Post

Appreciate all the suggestions so far and it is looking very much like I can't do what I'd like.

Unfortunately the dialog isn't a standard Windows one and even if it were, I'd need a way to fire up NIRCMD or a script when the box appears so that it can handle it without intervention... that would probably need something that sits there on the desktop and routinely checks Window-titles, when it spots the one I want to OK, it has to leap into action... ugggh.

I think for now we're just gonna have to accept it as it is and remote into the PCs to clear it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you do run > msconfig and if you stop it running it the background under services or the startup tab it will stop the prompt coming up. But it might stop the computer from printing but i shouldn't think so. Give it a go and you can always put it back if it doesn’t work. But please be careful what you uncheck on the tick boxes.

Thank Post

I've never used these print servers but I would have thought that you could just create a TCP/IP port on the PC and point it at the print server... this doesn't utilise any daft software that may present dialogue boxes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    I've never used these print servers but I would have thought that you could just create a TCP/IP port on the PC and point it at the print server... this doesn't utilise any daft software that may present dialogue boxes.
    Yup thats the way Ric is right, thats how I have a few of mine setup when they are just for 2 or 3 machines.

Thank Post

That's the way I would have done it too - but I was told to use the software by management.

Thank Post

If i was you rather than tackle the error message, I'd be looking to have the print server set so they can be powered on every morning automatically by POE (or some BIOS's allow it to be scheduled) and shutdown automatically at night by a scheduled 'shutdown' task. This way the machine is off a night, so no wasted energy, and on when it's needed.

For holiday periods simply turn the print server off at the plug to stop it powering on!

Without meaning to sound too harsh, it does sound a bit of an unusual setup and if it is causing problems in lessons, I'd be meeting with your SLT to propose changing the arrangement for something more conventional and less problematic.

Mike.

Thank Post

When will people learn not to touch netgear kit with a bargepole.
    Unless you enjoy inflicting pain and frustration on yourself.

I mean, c'mon how much are parallel / usb print servers these days ?...i doubt i could give my old intel netport express boxes away - and there miles better than your netgear junk. Can you not invest a few shillings in some decent print servers for a bit more you can buy some basic network printers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast