+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Anyone have these: Fujitsu Esprimo E3521 desktops? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    After deciding the motherboard was fine I swapped it out into a different tfx sff case with a bigger psu so that i could fit a discrete gpu and have had no issues with it what so ever.

I moved the pegatron board that was in my old case into the esprimo case, this board has always been pretty reliable but since fitting it into the fujitsu case I have started having an issue booting reliably so you may be right about my theory being off track.

When starting from a cold boot the pc boots fine but if I hit restart from windows the boot device order changes, the hdd still shows as being detected during post though with the quiet boot option off, I keep having to go back into bios and reset the boot order during restarts.

This pegatron will automatically try to emulate usb devices as hdd or fdd based on size (below 530mb ffd above hdd) but even my empty usb multi flash card reader is given priority over the hdd, my guess is that you are right about the psu being an issue and somehow during a restart the hdd is not initialising/ powering up properly leaving me stuck on the boot device search screen (black with blinking cursor).

Unlike the fujitsu board I do not have the option to exclude specific devices from the boot order, they are redetected at every boot but somehow the hdd is just losing it's priority during restarts, this may well be an issue with the psu not powering the drives properly.

The thing that threw me with this pc from the start was the fact that the psu, heatsink and motherboard looked brand new, no dust whatsoever on/in any of them, if it wasn't for the odd ram sticks and a few scratches to the case and the coa being missing I would have guessed it was new old stock, but now I am starting to think it had suffered a booting issue from new and had been scavenged for parts.

Either way I can't complain for £35 I have a decent ddr3 motherboard, an e5800 cpu and 250gb Seagate hdd to play with, If I can find a way to fit a standard tfx psu into the fujistu case I might keep that one too if not I will just buy another case for the pegatron board.

Thank Post
    Contacted Fujitsu about these faulty psu's. We have now had 10 out of 35 fail in the same way in just under 3 years. To my mind this highlights there is a common issue with the psu's and that the rest will probably go the same way. I think psu's should last longer than this. I asked for a replacement psu for all the pc's that haven't already had one but they refused. Do you think this is fair under the circumstances? The warranty is up in August. Fujitsu have never acknowledged that this is a known fault, although the engineers that have come out seem to think it is.

midomidi2013
    We have 66 in two Suites and experience the exact same problem, most times after an engineer has been out and changed motherboard/power supply, it has been fine except a couple which have re-offended, the engineer that came out to us stated that it is a common fault.

Thank Post
    Well, I earlier posted I only 5 of these :-)...well I now have 4 :-( ...you guessed it PSU gone! Replacement PSU quoted at £70, think ICT Direct may get a call, can nearly get a whole PC of similar spec for that, unless anyone has a dead one but has a good PSU and wants to get rid?

Thank Post
    @TechSupp was it a rev3 psu by any chance? It's a shame Fujitsu don't own up for this fault. Dell owned up about the dodgy caps on gx270 mb's in the past and replaced them free of charge up to a certain date. Every pc or laptop i've sent to fujitsu for testing comes back NFF. I've even explained to them how to reproduce the fault and they still come back with the same result. They are in denial! Doesn't make me want to buy any Fujitsu stuff in the future.

Thank Post
    Now 11 out of 35, another one failed this morning

Thank Post
    yep we have got 17 in a suite, and I think that an engineer has been out approx 12 times sofar. I have had 2 go today, with one of those being repaired twice before (last time was 2 weeks ago!!!)

Thisa is a serious issue and it must show Fujitsu there is a design flaw somewhere.... I am going to reseat the memory to see if that works right now, but I am awaiting a call back from Fujitsu..

Nick

8. Thanks to nickb23 from:

Zourous (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi All,

I seem to have resolved this problem, well so far so good put it that way. If it's an Intel chip board there are 3 large capacitors on the board and i noticed the tops were bulging slightly so i de soldered them and re soldered some new ones and this seems to have cured the problem. Be careful if you attempt this though as it's quite tricky. Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Sorry, you may have similar symptoms and this may fix this for you in your case, but I don't think this is the same as my problem. I've had now had 15 out of 35 PSU's replaced in this model of PC. In every case it has fixed the problem 100% so can't be anything to do with capacitors on a motherboard.

Thank Post
    A common cause of PSU failures is capacitors. If they have used cr@p on their motherboards it's realistic to think they used them is their PSUs.

Thank Post
    All i can say is that the symptoms sound very similar and on changing the psu the symptoms still persisted however when i changed the caps it worked like a dream. I have now done this on 10+ pc's and touch wood they are still ok,so i can only speak as i find.

Thank Post
    yep had the EXACT same fault in my previous workplace - its the Capacitors - as previously mentioned - its the 3 capacitors on the MB - If you change them you will get a bit longer out of them.

Thank Post
    Are you still getting problems with these machines @Zourous? We ran a graphics driver update on this model a few months back which we believed fixed the problem...

We have just completed an ICT suite cascade over the summer so these machines have now been split between 2 other rooms. We have removed the original HDD's and have replaced them with SSD's. The image had the same graphics driver as before but guess what - we are not getting the fan noise on 3 of the machines. All of the failing machines have the Rev-3 PSU

Thank Post
    We have noticed the graphics driver was crashing these PC's but then we were using the Microsoft driver version at the time. Yes I know probably not the best thing to do, but it seemed like it was working fine. We updated to the Fujitsu version and that sorted out a few issues and they stopped crashing. That aside, what ever display driver we have installed the fan issue still occurred, so it must be a separate issue. My advice to you, if your PC's are still under warranty, get replacement PSU's for all the Rev3's if you need them now or not. It might involve a bit of blagging.

Thank Post
    Sadly we are a couple of months outside the warranty now. We may have to look at pricing up a couple of the rev4 PSUs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast