+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Netbook replacements? in Technical; Whilst i know there is still stock out there, when its gone its gone according to reports, as Asus, Acer ...
    Thank Post

Netbook replacements?

Whilst i know there is still stock out there, when its gone its gone according to reports, as Asus, Acer etc have stopped making them.

Has anybody seen out there anything that is no more than 11.6" screen and has the battery life close to that of a netbook for under 350? I have been looking at lots yesterday and the most close was an Asus Vivo book but the battery life spec wise is not looking good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are still netbooks about, at 11.6" if not 10.1" - Acer Aspire One 725 Netbook - Netbooks | Ebuyer.com

There's the HP dm1 stuff as well, though the one we just got in was an 18W AMD processor not a 9W so battery life will be impacted slightly.

11.6" seems to be hanging around where 10.1" disappeared, which is still a pain, but I can live with.

Thank Post
    A number of my schools have recently purchased notebooks that combine good battery life with a decent screen and quality build. Drop me a PM and would be happy to share more details.
    Brett
    Last edited by catshilllearning; 5th March 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Most netbooks were dropped in favour of the ultra fashionable tablet/convertible notebook hybrid type of design. I believe the thinking was that there wasnt actually much call for something like a netbook for 200 with limited functianlity when the price of a 13" notebook with better processor, RAM and more storage was coming in about 100 more.

Thank Post
    Lenovo make some nice 11" notebooks. They cost more than the asus, acer stock but have unpickable keyboards and some other nice features you probably won't need like bluetooth 4.0.

this one is 320 Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E135 NZV66UK

I recommend on reputation not personal experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Lenovo make some nice 11" notebooks. They cost more than the asus, acer stock but have unpickable keyboards and some other nice features you probably won't need like bluetooth 4.0.

this one is 320 Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E135 NZV66UK

I recommend on reputation not personal experience.
    I have half a dozen of these Lenovo "netbooks" and they are really good and I'm impressed as was the Director of Sixth form and the students in Sixth Form who are using them they are better than a netbook as they are a little bit bigger but still nice and portable which is what we wanted.

Thank Post
    We just brought 30 of these "hp dm1 4300" only slightly bigger than a Netbook, and will fit nicely in to a trolley that supported 30 netbooks. If you get Netbooks or small laptops upgrade them to the Max.
    I added 60GD SSD and an extra 2 GB of RAM. The SSD will greatly increase battery life and performance!!

Thank Post
    It depends on what you are looking for and what you want to do with them. Netbooks are continuing and are ideal for use in schools due to their relative price. You do get what you pay for generally but schools don't need 3D graphics or massive multi-tasking performance so a netbook provides a good balanced spec in a little box that takes up less space on desks. And whilst there's a need then someone will make something.

A good example of this is Classmate 2S which is a convertible netbook unit that twists into a tablet too. It's built with a robust design and with additional software all units in the class can be connected up to the teacher's laptop for fast file sharing, URL sharing, observation, control and broadcast etc. Worth a look.

Thank Post
    As much as I love a price of 200, I would willingly pay 100 more for the same battery life because all day battery == happiness in a primary

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread