+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Intel dc s3700 ssd in Technical; Has anyone tried the new Intel DC s3700 ssd in any server hardware yet? I'd be interested in knowing whether ...
    Thank Post

Intel dc s3700 ssd

Has anyone tried the new Intel DC s3700 ssd in any server hardware yet?
    I'd be interested in knowing whether it works in the likes of Dell or IBM hardware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    It works in a ThinkServer RD240 according to StorageReview.

Being an enterprise-class drive, I would assume that Intel tested it in Dell, HP and Lenovo servers.

Thank Post
    You'd think so wouldn't you....? But I've searched and searched and cannot find anything online to say they'd work in a R720 or IBM x3650 m4 for example.

Thank Post
    Bump!
    I have scoured the internet all night yesterday trying to find an answer if it will work in a dell R720 or IBM x3650 M4.

Don't suppose anyone has bought some of these Intel DC S3700 SSD's? If so what have you tried them in?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there a particular reason this wouldn't be expected to work in *any* 6gbps sata capable machine?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Is there a particular reason this wouldn't be expected to work in *any* 6gbps sata capable machine?
    Indeed. If the servers list support for SATA, then these SATA drives have no reason not to work.

Thank Post
    I just thought the servers have a way of detecting drive types and if it detects it is a SSD and doesnt have a specific firmware version or something the server is looking for it won't initialize the drive. Similar to putting a SSD into any form of SAN from Dell / HP / IBM?
    Or have I made that up in my sleep?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If the servers list support for SATA, then these SATA drives have no reason not to work.
    That doesn't rule out obscure firmware issues though. For example, Proliant DL3xx G7 servers had an issue with Intel 320 Series SSDs whereby the RAID controller and iLO thought the SSDs were running at 255°C due to HP's false assumption that *all* drives support SMART attribute 194 (current internal temperature). When they don't, HP used a default value of 0xFF (instead of 0x00) which obviously caused the fans to run at full speed all of the time.

Given that the DC 3700's are designed specifically for servers and made by a reputable company (i.e. not OCZ ) I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paid_Peanuts View Post
    it won't initialize the drive.
    You must be thinking of the RAID controllers in Dell's 11th Gen PowerEdge servers that rejected third-party (non-Dell certified) drives? It didn't take long for them to reverse that decision after the bad publicity though.

www.standalone-sysadmin.com/blog/2010/02/dell-removes-3rd-party-drive-support/

Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers
    I just received my first Gen 11 server, R710, with H700 PERC. I removed the supplied drives, and installed 4 x Barracuda ES.2s. After doing a "Clear Configuration" in the pre-boot RAID setup utility, I can perform no operation with the drives - they are marked as "blocked". Is Dell preventing the use of 3rd-party HDDs now?

Dell's Response
    It is common practice in enterprise storage solutions to limit drive support to only those drives which have been qualified by the vendor. In the case of Dell's PERC RAID controllers, we began informing customers when a non-Dell drive was detected with the introduction of PERC5 RAID controllers in early 2006. With the introduction of the PERC H700/H800 controllers, we began enabling only the use of Dell qualified drives.

There are a number of benefits for using Dell qualified drives in particular ensuring a positive experience and protecting our data.

While SAS and SATA are industry standards there are differences which occur in implementation. An analogy is that English is spoken in the UK, US and Australia. While the language is generally the same, there are subtle differences in word usage which can lead to confusion. This exists in storage subsystems as well. As these subsystems become more capable, faster and more complex, these differences in implementation can have greater impact.

Benefits of Dell's Hard Disk and SSDs are outlined in a white paper on Dell's web site at: www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-hard-drives-pov.pdf (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread