+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, "RAID" one disk to a partition on another? in Technical; Originally Posted by tmcd35 I think I just got confused reading this thread! RAID works at the disk level. The ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I think I just got confused reading this thread!

RAID works at the disk level. The disks do not need to be the same size, but the extra space on larger disks is wasted as only the size of the smallest disk can be used. After the disks have been setup in RAID they can then be partitioned as, as far as the OS is concerned, it is now viewed and treated as 1 physical disk.

What you can't do is set up a RAID with a partition on a non RAID disk, which I think was the OP's original question.

Personally I think the solution to the OP's problem is the /MIR switch using Robocopy.
    You got it! That's the problem with trying to express thoughts in terms of actual technologies that don't apply - my fault!

I'll take a look at the /MIR switch, I'm guessing it achieves the same thing as the program Rawns mentioned as in it adds missing files and updates changed ones from one source to a destination? Does it also delete files if you have deleted them from the original location?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @LosOjos, The /MIR switch in Robocopy effectively setups the kind of backup/RAID-1 solution you are after. All files on the existing drive are mirrored to the backup drive (whatever size that dive is, can be bigger). When you make changes to files on the original drive they are automatically (so long as the Robocopy is kept running in the background) copied to the backup drive.

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

LosOjos (28th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    @LosOjos, The /MIR switch in Robocopy effectively setups the kind of backup/RAID-1 solution you are after. All files on the existing drive are mirrored to the backup drive (whatever size that dive is, can be bigger). When you make changes to files on the original drive they are automatically (so long as the Robocopy is kept running in the background) copied to the backup drive.
    Sounds perfect! Thanks

Thank Post
    Happy to update, I was fortunate enough to receive a small lump of money as a gift this weekend and just now saw Scan had a "Today Only" deal on 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda's (the 64MB cache version) for £98 - ordered them and will be setting them up in RAID, next task is to finally build my NAS using the R-Pi and an external HDD, whenever the money for that materialises in to my life! Thanks for the help all

Though I must say I was quite concerned the order went through at all - they had my old address on file which I didn't realise until I'd placed the order so I had to call them. I didn't actually think Visa payments could be authorised with the wrong address? You learn something new every day!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 4th March 2013 at 03:35 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12