+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, ICT infrastructure progression in Technical; Hi, Our School is planning to replace our old computers from ICT suite and from classrooms. Headteacher and business manager ...

Thank Post

ICT infrastructure progression

Hi,

Our School is planning to replace our old computers from ICT suite and from classrooms. Headteacher and business manager are so concerned about the ICT infrastructure as we are going to get the suitable and updated hardware for pupils' learning and progression in Schools. And also if there are any more advancements in terms of hardware tools so we can have it too.

If anyone know anything about any events, conferences or meetings. Please do let me know.

Regards,

Umair
    Last edited by Domino; 5th February 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    erm....BETT would have been the ideal place for you to go. It was last week!!

3. Thanks to fiza from:

umairadmin (6th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Fiza,

I checked last week it was all about curriculum and it had nothing to do with ICT infrastructure and hardware. I have email different bodies if they can provide me with any information. Thanks anyway... but do let me know if you hear anything.

Regards,

Umair

Thank Post
    You just missed BETT show but many suppliers will be listed on website. Probably hard to suggest much without more info:
    How big a school ? How many pupils? What KS? What type of network do you have speed, age, switching,etc? Do you have managed Wifi?

IMHO I would say slates are too expensive for schools in terms of life expectancy and management costs so desktops would still be my first choice but if you are a big school you could factor some mobile device in the mix. You could also keep you old harware and update Ram and OS or convert to thin client. If you post more info I am sure the community can give endless advice support!

Thank Post
    Does your LEA provide any support?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by umairadmin View Post
    it had nothing to do with ICT infrastructure and hardware.
    You missed out... There were A LOT of hardware and infrastructure companies at BETT. I pretty much talked to all of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [Merged threads: please don't post the same thing across the separate forums]

Thank Post
    Hi,

I did check their website but couldn't find anything about ICT hardware progression. I have dropped them an email. Let see what do they say.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by umairadmin View Post

I checked last week it was all about curriculum and it had nothing to do with ICT infrastructure and hardware
    Out teachers who went complained there was too much infrastructure/hardware and not enough educational apps!

Thank Post
    I would suggest Lenovo have some nice SFF PCs and the best W8 Slates that I saw but seems like you might want to ask the teachers how they want to work with ICT. Maybe visit a few schools and see what they do and poach best ideas. We are a large primary and you would be welcome to come and visit and talk to the staff.

Thank Post
    I missed BETT then if everyone is saying that there was a lot about hardware infrastructure. Does any one know when is next conference or exhibition from BETT?

We are a medium School and using Server 2008 with mixed environment of XP and Windows 7. We want to upgrade our infrastructure but headteacher and business manager have few concerns about hardware that what hardware is recommended at the moment by different educational bodies. We want to have upgraded ICT hardware in our School to provide suitable and updated learning environment to pupils.

Regards,

Umair

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The next BETT show will be next January, however there will be an EduGeek conference this year there's no hard details yet.

I'd suggest visiting local schools if they're happy to let you do so, and see what people in a similar situation are doing.

Apart from that, thinking about what you want to achieve is the best place to start.

Do you want BYOD? - wireless and filtering are probably the first place to start
    VDI, etc? - Server side investment is important

I think really an audit of your current state (including back end hardware, switching) and evaluating the weak points is your jumping off point. I know your head and business manager are probably gonna want toys, but without the infrastructure to support them you'll be setting yourself up to fail.

Just my 50pence worth ;-)

14. Thanks to Domino from:

Thank Post
    sponsors on here should be able to help @Millgate , @CPLTD

- - - Updated - - -

sponsors on here should be able to help @Millgate , @CPLTD

Thank Post
    strange - last post appears twice "updated" ?

Thank Post
    +1 for Domino Just typed my thoughts faster than me!

What age group? How many client devices? Most LEA have less knowledge than most Techs as they dont spend their lives installing, deplying, rebooting, repairing, updating....etc.
    Most schools mostly use standard or SFF desktops as they last a long time ( some of ours are from last millenium but still run W7 and Office 2010 fine)Tier 1 manufacturers ( Lenovo, Dell, HP etc) are sometimes better than component builders (but in any case get a 5yr warranty if you can). That said, I have recently had some machines built by redcap who have a nice desktop stand that hides all the cables away . They will build what you want and their sevice is amazing - they are still providing components even though the warranty ran out a year ago! Contrast that with 10 netbooks from Zoostorm who could not care less when they all diedafter 12 months.
    Make sure your network is in good condition and well set up and we went for a single image accross our 220 clients so anyone can go anywhere and find the same desktop but that may not be what your school needs.

18. Thanks to sparker from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast