+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Acer Iconia W510 in Technical; Originally Posted by BHMS Are you booting from the dock USB port? You must use the tablet USB port I ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BHMS View Post
    Are you booting from the dock USB port? You must use the tablet USB port I think.
    Tried both! Occasionally the device will show as a boot option, but not consistently. Have noticed that the W510 often freezes on a black screen after a failed attempt to boot to an external device, and gets very warm near the NFC area and won't boot normally until it's cooled down. Suspecting a hardware fault, but the external device always shows in Windows.

Thank Post
    Your burnt ISO should boot without issue. Is it 32bit? Have you changed the boot order in the UEFI settings?
    Yes to both.

Thank Post
    just asking but can't you do an inplace upgrade from the OS?

Thank Post
    It should appear in the boot list consistently if plugged into tablet at boot. Are you using a USB hub? I would concentrate on getting your W8 iso booting first. After that you know it is working and any other media issue is related to UEFI. Can you double check bootmgr.efi is present on the DVD?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    AFAIK, yes. I'd like a "just in case" back up first, though. I'll have a play when the blasted thing decides it wants to start again.

Thank Post
    It should appear in the boot list consistently if plugged into tablet at boot. Are you using a USB hub? I would concentrate on getting your W8 iso booting first. After that you know it is working and any other media issue is related to UEFI. Can you double check bootmgr.efi is present on the DVD?
    Not using a hub (did try a powered hub as well). bootmgr.efi is in the root of the DVD. Going to try a different micro USB cable in a bit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    It will definitely get as far as the "Choose Upgrade/Custom" Install screen. Don't want to go further without a backup (given my boot problems). I strongly suspect that it won't upgrade and will only do a clean install.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    It will definitely get as far as the "Choose Upgrade/Custom" Install screen. Don't want to go further without a backup (given my boot problems). I strongly suspect that it won't upgrade and will only do a clean install.
    i "THINK" someone at our place tried thatwith the asus tab and it just wouldnt accept any mak key we had

Thank Post
    I had a problem with it not liking me upgrading using US copies of Win 8 that are the only ones I can seem to get from the Licensing Center. Hence the clean install.

Thank Post
    OK: success (at last).

Still can't get it to boot from virtually anything apart from the SSD, and I'm beginning to suspect that UEFI actually stands for Utterly Evil F...rustrating Invention but I've managed to back up the original config and upgrade to W8 Ent. From @BHMS's post about imaging, it still sounds as if these will be a PITA to deal with in quantity, though.

For future reference, I had to use the built-in Acer software to make an Acer backup key, that was not restorable from but at least it was bootable, and use Windows to create a system restore file (that was accessible with the former disk). I also made an Acer driver and program backup.

The machine didn't like my disks, so I used the W7 download tool to create a W8 Ent USB key and did an in place install from that (wouldn't upgrade, but no great loss there). After a few scary forced power downs it all installed (you'll need a USB KB and mouse) and the Acer backup replaced all but a couple of the drivers (and Windows Update sorted those). Not tried to restore any of the programs (and probably won't).

It's TPM-enabled, so it's now all Bitlockered up and I'm now transferring stuff from my old machine.

Apart from the above difficulties and having to hold the power button down to force it off during a failed restart more times than I'm happy with my only niggle so far is the poor touchpad drivers: it's position only, no scrolling or tapping allowed.

Thank Post
    Imaging 32 wasn't much of a problem after I spent a week getting the first one booting from USB key and captured. I could do 5 a day with just a single USB NIC. I've had to power off one every now and then as you say. Do you find the keyboard gives a lot of double typed characters? That is my major niggle. I barely use the touchpad. There is a driver update on the Acer website that is meant to improve some of the touchpad issues but I still don't think it is perfect yet.

Thank Post
    "One after t'other" imaging brings back memories of my old office on one site that had no network points, so all the images were done from a USB drive. Thank god that the teachers decided that the room with the server in it (along with plenty of network and power points) was too noisy!

Not done too much typing so far, so yet to come across the double character problem. I have installed the latest drivers, though. The lack of scrolling from the touchpad annoys me, even though I know I could use my fingers on the screen. I even tried the latest Synaptic drivers on the off chance!

Thank Post
    We have one on trial. I really like it but omfg what a pain not being able to image it easily is! Tis a deal breaker I think. Shame. Performs fab for me despite the seemingly low spec

Thank Post
    Is any one having problems with the internal speakers? I have sound out via the headphone socket, but can't get anything out of the speakers.

@BHMS - I have noticed a few double characters (mainly spaces), but I'm quite a heavy typist and I'm not sure if it's a consequence of the cramped keyboard combined with my typing style.

Thank Post
    have you installed the manufactures software for the sound, I find the reverse problem alot with laptops that won't output sound from the headphones unless the realtek software is installed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast