+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Backup Exec 2012, Windows 2008 R2 and a IBM TS3100 AutoLoader in Technical; Hi all, I've had a new IBM TS3100 AutoLoader arrive today with 2 x LTO6 SAS Drives. I'm currently trying ...

Thank Post

Backup Exec 2012, Windows 2008 R2 and a IBM TS3100 AutoLoader

Hi all,

I've had a new IBM TS3100 AutoLoader arrive today with 2 x LTO6 SAS Drives. I'm currently trying to configure it to work with the Server.

I've applied the latest firmware to both the library and both tape drives, as well as downloading the latest Tape Drives.

I can't seem to get Symantec to see it as an Autoloader but it can see both Tape Drives. Windows Device Manager shows both Tape Drives but doesn't show the Media Changer Device, which I would expect to see (I have a Dell 124T AutoLoader with LTO3 SCSI Device and can see this).

On the library management interface it's set to Random mode, so the application should control the Tape Library.

Any ideas? Any one else got a IBM TS3100 (or TS3200) SAS Drive (not necessarily LTO6) that have resolved similar issues?

Cheers,

Rob

Thank Post
    Two thoughts:

1) Is the autoloader on Backup Exec's Hardware Compatibility List? If not, you may be S.O.L.
    2) Are you using the Backup Exec driver for the hardware? Symantec almost always recommend this, and you can install it through one of the BE menu options.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Hi,

1) Yes, it's on the HCL
    2) Tried both IBM and Symantec Drivers. On the server boot up when it comes to the Adaptec SCSI Adaptor it can see both a tape library and tape drive attached.

Thanks,

Rob

Thank Post
    I'm afraid this is where I scratch my head a little bit - been a while since I played with tapes and I'm on BE 2010 R3 so it's probably a bit different anyway.

Have you got any support contracts with Symantec? Sounds like you've got a good case for them to fix it. If you don't have a support contract, you can buy one for your cheapest component (e.g. a Remote Agent) and use that support contract number to raise cases about other part of BE.

Thank Post
    Hello,

I've got a support contract but I'm not sure whether it's a Symantec issue - like I said originally it doesn't show in Windows Device Manager either.

A few things I've tried is:
    - Firmware Update on both the Library and Tape Drives themselves
    - Disabled the SCSI Card (via the BIOS) - the one that connects to the existing Dell 124T AutoLoader
    - Changed the Control Path between both Drives on the autoloader and also tried it with both enabled
    - Changed from Random to sequential to Random (mode).
    - Tried connecting it to a Dell H800 SAS Card (from the Adaptec 1045 Cards currently connected to). Only shows the Tape Drives still and not the Library.
    - Tried various config options on the Adaptec Controller
    - And lots of reboots!

Still don't have a clue. Might look at a different SAS Card and see if that helps, although like I said before I've had it connected to two different models and still no luck. One thing I notice is that on a server reboot I go into the BIOS options for the Adaptec SAS Cards themselves and can see the Tape Drive and Library itself listed, so the card can see the unit. It's just that Windows can't see the library.

I'm considering a complete install of Windows Server perhaps and see if that helps. Server only runs Backup Exec so not a major problem.

Thanks,

Rob
    Last edited by robknowles; 24th January 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Not used a SAS autoloader for a while, I assume the loader and each drive have different target IDs?

Thank Post
    Hi,

When I login to the Management Interface on the Autoloader library it doesn't specify anywhere to change the IDs. Under Drives it specifically states that there are no user adjustable SAS settings.

Thanks,

Rob

Thank Post
    Unfortunately if windows is not able to recognize the device backup exec will not be able to recognize and interact with it either. Take a look at the following blog on troubleshooting B.E. and Robotic libraries

How to troubleshoot issues with Backup Exec and your Robotic Library(autoloader/changer) and /or Tape Drive(s) - Spiceworks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread