+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 / Trying to Factory Reset in Technical; Hello, I have a couple Sun 7110's that I'm trying to breathe life back into and use in our production ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Sun Storage 7110 / Trying to Factory Reset

Hello,

I have a couple Sun 7110's that I'm trying to breathe life back into and use in our production environment.

I have serial access (I can login as root) which I believe is just for ILO administration. I can't find anything as far as a factory-reset command through the serial connection. When I try to open up a console via start /SP/console it asks me if I want to start the console and it drops me into nothing. No prompt or anything and I have ESC+( to get out of it...

I've also read that I can interrupt GRUB but, even with a monitor attached I don't ever see the GRUB menu only "GRUB Stage 2 Loading" and then I just receive a blinking cursor at that point.

I have NET0 set to 10.1.1.151 and it responds to ping but, I can not SSH to the host once it shows as being alive.

Also, after NET0 shows as being up and is pingable, I can not gain access to the BUI either.

My main goal here is to factory reset the host so I can run through 'setup' again... I would have called support by now but I have no service contract.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time...

Thank Post
    Not sure if this is going to help you, nonetheless:

AFAIK your 7110 "Amber Road" are EoL, thus Oracle is not likely to sell you a contract (maybe at astronomical price tag?).
    If I remember correct, they used to run an OpenSolaris based OS on those boxes, not vanilla Solaris 10.
    (simply because they received newer ZFS features than S10, but later than OpenSolaris development branches)

If you're lucky you can boot a Solaris-ish OS of a CD or through ILOM and check if your system pools are present and sane, maybe you need to reset root passwords and fix GRUB?
    At least for root passwod and a "normal" OS, not Amber Road this is describe over there for example:
    Resetting OpenSolaris passwords

For grub, well at least someone describes a problem on S10, but take it with a grain of and and check how the appliance OS is structured if you're able to mount the system pool. (Fixing Solaris hosts that boot to a grub> prompt). I don't know if Amber road used 'rpool' name for the OS pool (NexentaStor systems use 'syspool' for example)

If you're willing to lose HA cluster (if you had it) and GUI: What about tossing the (now EoL-ed) appliance OS and install a minimalistic open source derivative, be it illumos or FreeBSD derived?
    Last edited by koffi2k; 16th January 2013 at 06:02 AM.

Thank Post
    You're seeing the GRUB stage 2 loading prompt because the 'real' output is being sent over to the SP console not the VGA console you're looking at.

If you're seeing absolutely nothing on a start /SP/console even from a cold boot that's pretty odd, due to the above way they are configured this would normally work and it's certainly how we'd set them up in the first place.

The 7110 hardware isn't available anymore but we have plenty in production with active contracts and they still run the latest appliance OS (that is not EoL) updates so there's no loss of hope there. https://wikis.oracle.com/display/Fis...ftware+Updates

Normally if it was so broken the appliance didn't boot properly I'd use grub to factory reset it but that requires you to have a working SP/console.

If it's totally hosed beyond that (which I doubt it is if it responds to icmp at any point on the LAN interface) you would need an engineer with fishstick to reinstall it.

Are you sure the NET0 configuration allows administrative access?

I'd work on the serial side, and figuring out why SP/console isn't working, get that sorted and the rest should follow.

Thank Post
    kmount:

Thanks for the reply.

I actually just cold booted the unit and had run start /SP/console and the following is the output:

Serial console started. To stop, type ESC (
    SunOS Release 5.11 Version ak/generic@2009.09.01.3.0,1-1.8 64-bit
    Copyright 1983-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    Configuring network devices ... Configuring devices.
    devfsadm: fopen failed for /etc/driver_aliases: No such file or directory
    done.

Sun Storage 7110 Version ak/SUNW,iwashi@2009.09.01.3.0,1-1.8
    Copyright 2013 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.

Jan 16 07:00:22 svc.startd[45]: svc:/appliance/kit/mysql:wiki: Method "exec /lib/svc/method/mysql start" failed with exit status 1.
    Jan 16 07:00:22 svc.startd[45]: svc:/appliance/kit/mysql:wiki: Method "exec /lib/svc/method/mysql start" failed with exit status 1.
    Jan 16 07:00:22 svc.startd[45]: appliance/kit/mysql:wiki failed: transitioned to maintenance (see 'svcs -xv' for details)

No other output.

Thank Post
    Are you sure the NET0 configuration allows administrative access?

No management access on this interface. BUI will not spawn from given static IP and can not SSH to the interface as well.

Thank Post
    Ah superb, the fact you've got some stuff out of /SP/console we've got a fighting chance That is some horribly old firmware!

Now, if you don't mind 'risking' completely bricking your system (it can't be any worse than it currently is!) I'd try factory resetting it via GRUB before it gets to this maintenance / screwed point.

When you see the grub menu at boot up, hit edit on the kernel line and add -c to the end of the line "blah blah blah -c"

The -c should *hopefully* force it to try and factory reset

DISCLAIMER: If it explodes I'm sorry and I take no responsibility for such fires...

Thank Post
    That has actually been my goal all along actually. Problem is that I don't ever see the GRUB menu appear to edit it. Only thing GRUB related that I see is "Loading GRUB Stage 2" or something along those lines...

I'd love to update the firmware on the hosts as well...

Thanks you your help it's very much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Before you get to that point about maintenance mode etc you should see the grub menu.

You do need to be quick, I think I used to bash escape to make it stop chuntering through.

9. Thanks to kmount from:

Mawkix (16th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I FINALLY was able to get the menu!

Already through setup. Thank you so much for your help.

Thank Post
    Awesome, glad to help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread