+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Best Projector in Technical; So...I have one of the casio LED projectors and it is fine but they are SO expensive. Is it really ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts

Best Projector

So...I have one of the casio LED projectors and it is fine but they are SO expensive. Is it really worth it versus a mid range NEC filterless?
    Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends I suppose. It comes down to whether you want to spend up front or over the life of the projector. Casio projectors, when you take their whole life into account should be cheaper. Another issue when replacing projectors (not putting new ones in to places where they haven't been before) is their large focal range, so you don't generally need to replace the pole etc... Which in our experience is basically the same price as doing a new install.

They do appear to develop a few more faults than other makes, I have to admit. We've now had to have 3 of our 5 sent away for repairs in 3 years, but they send out a loaner unit next day so you're only down for a day.

However, if you're in a small school, even though the TCO may be cheaper, your school might not have the capital to spend it on things up front, so are more willing to spend over time instead on lamps.

Thank Post
    Thanks @localzuk
    The thing is, we could go either way at the moment as we do have some IT money hanging around that needs to be spent by the end of the financial year. Sorry to be dim but I can't remember, what guarantee do the casios come with?
    I think what is bothering me is that we really don't know what their "whole life" will be, do we.

Thank Post
    My thoughts are no. The bulb is not the only item in a projector which will fail or wear and technology tends to move on such that the entire units are obsolete (or just worn out) over 3-5 years. Another factor to consider is that it may well become possible to buy bulbs for existing projectors which are based on LED technology.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Casios come with a 5 year guarantee. That was the deal-maker for us. All our projectors were replaced with Casios.

Thank Post
    Ta. Hmmmm. My projectors that are half the price would still end up cheaper even if you had to replace a lamp once in 5 years, and it has to be said that some of my projectors are waaaay older than that and they have only had one replacement

TBF, other than a known issue that caused some problems at the begining of the life of some of my NECS, I have not had anything other than a lamp fail on a projector
    Last edited by witch; 10th January 2013 at 10:26 AM.

Thank Post
    I believe that projectors have limited life now. Look at the CleverTouch range of screens they do not suffer from filters needing changing, bulbs that pop, teachers complaining the light is hurting them. Different pens for different years of manufacture I could go on. Over a 3Yr TCO projectors are not the answer?

Thank Post
    Boss wants Promethean boards and wont consider a change so it is necessary that I get normal projectors

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Casio's come with 3 year as standard which is upgraded to 5 year when you register them.

I was reading an article on the casios yesterday with a school where changing mounts etc... would cost them an arm and a leg but as has been said with the Casio A range they have a 2x optical zoom and therefore can replace most projectors on the same pole.

The M series only have a 1.5x optical zoom.

Ben

Thank Post
    You can run whatever software you like on the screen. We gone down this road and believe me its a delight to forget where they are.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
    I believe that projectors have limited life now. Look at the CleverTouch range of screens they do not suffer from filters needing changing, bulbs that pop, teachers complaining the light is hurting them. Different pens for different years of manufacture I could go on. Over a 3Yr TCO projectors are not the answer?
    The LCD screens, while nice, have a far higher cost than any projector, by far. You're looking at £3.5k for a 65" screen. A projector can do 87" for half that...

Thank Post
    I have just had a look at those screens and the price is waaaay out of our league. Projector it is then.
    Just not sure which way to jump..

BJG
    Thank Post
    I've changed enough projector bulbs for one lifetime, so I'd prefer to make sure any more of the things I purchased were the "lampless" variety, though I'm not completely sure about the best way to manage things from an environmental aspect. One other thing I noticed is that standing in front of our (non-Casio) LED projector is pretty dazzling, and short-throw or ultra-short-throw might be kinder to staff. (Last time I enquired, there weren't any ultra-short-throw lampless models available, but I'd have thought there must be by now.)

Like pcstru says, projectors tend to become obsolete after a few years anyway...I've currently got an EMP82E sitting on my desk which is going to have to go off to the scrapyard because the cheapest bulb I can source is £370+VAT.
    Last edited by BJG; 10th January 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Thank Post
    We use a size of screen suitable for the size of teaching room these screens are far superior in clarity and a 65inch can be fully fitted for £2,500. Initial cost is higher but then think man hours and down time ? Try your real world costings over 3Yrs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Epson EB-X11 - £300ish 3Y NBD On-Site Warranty inc bulb.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast