+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Best Projector in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Epson EB-X11:
    - Great price, £275+VAT
    - Long lamp life
    - Excellent image and quality.

Only ones we buy now and just had another 3 delivered yesterday @ this price.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    I am sure the screens are absolutely wonderful but we just don't have the money. I'm sure the cost over three years will be more but it will come from three different budgets!

Just as an aside, my other school had new projectors fitted just before I started there, 9 years ago. I have only had to replace the lamps once (and some of them not even that!) and as they came with a free lamp, I think they have ended up pretty cheap! They are filtered as well and many of them have the filters covered by the bracket and I don't have the time or tools to get them down so they are NEVER cleaned!
    Last edited by witch; 10th January 2013 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post
    We have a few (10?) of the Sahara Clever LCD's which are fine (the new model are much better as they are plug and play with W7) and have inbuilt speakers.

We also have probably 30+ Casios. It's all we replace with now. Their throw distance is so flexible and the warranty is great.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Just as an aside, my other school had new projectors fitted just before I started there, 9 years ago. I have only had to replace the lamps once (and some of them not even that!) and as they came with a free lamp, I think they have ended up pretty cheap! They are filtered as well and many of them have the filters covered by the bracket and I don't have the time or tools to get them down so they are NEVER cleaned!
    Blimey. I find that the image quality on our projectors degrades to the point where they are not fit for purpose. 5 year old projectors here are generally 'worn out' and need to be replaced. Perhaps yours are particularly lovingly cared for? Or perhaps ours are sadly abused!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I am sure the screens are absolutely wonderful but we just don't have the money. I'm sure the cost over three years will be more but it will come from three different budgets!

You've got some good projectors there. Either that or they aren't used that much. We have replaced the lamps in most of our projectors multiple times over their 9 year lives. If we don't clean them, they overheat, so they get cleaned regularly too. Not to mention, the image quality is appalling on the older ones now (but the school has a policy of 'don't replace until it explodes' on projectors...).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For us going for Casios was (in our view) worth it.
    We were fed up with faffing around trying to find projectors with the right throw length and features at the right price, the casios have a great projection range and fit all our weird and wonderful cages heights/distances etc.
    We used to be cleaning filters and replacing bulbs constantly and the image quality on our older projectors is awful, something that (should) be avoided with the Casios.

Projector maintenance has dropped off considerably now we have replaced a lot of the old stock and we couldn't be happier with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worth noting that the difference between the Casios and other projectors isn't necessarily the years of warranty, but the hours - the Casios should run for 20,000 hours before they are at half brightness, and in that time your average Epson (etc.) projector will be coming to the end of it's 4th replacement bulb (ignoring eco mode, because I do on the Casios). Back of envlope calculations when I looked at it had the Casio at £700 new, the Epson at £350 new but with £700 of bulbs over the lifespan...

Thank Post
    Not sure if quality is declining on projectors, the older ones here are old and are still running great (8 year old plus) never replaced a bulb, just clean the filters now and again. Recently tho we've had two new modern(ish) (2 years old) develop "starry night" - a common fault on DLP chips apparently (a benq and a optoma - so it's not manufacturer related) My Epson at home eats bulbs too - i'm looking for a cheap LED 1080p projector to replace that.
    I'm tempted by the casios for Hall projectors that are 4m up in the air.

Thank Post
    Bought one casio unit and then never looked back. All new rooms are having them put in straight away and we are slowly changing over all the old IWB installations to having casio LED projectors. Staff prefer them greatly over the old projectors and haven't had any issues with any so far.

Thank Post
    +1 from me for casio laser projectors too. We did the maths and worked out they are cheaper in the long run due to not having to replace bulbs at £150-£200 a pop, never mind taking into account they are pretty much maintenance free. We've about half a dozen so far and none had any issues so far.

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    We just replaced the projector in our hall with a loan unit Casio XJ-A131 and are having and A150 installed permanently.

I've also fitted a pixie pro controller to control it allthough that's not without it's problems as to change the input from rgb to video the Casio doesn't just cycle through inputs, pressing input on the projector brings up a menu and you have to select the input you want then press enter. The stock buttons on the pixie don't suppor this configuration.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I've also fitted a pixie pro controller
    Yikes!
    I have had nothing but issues with pixie controllers, constantly going wrong and having people out to fix them. We just don't use them anymore

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    I've tried various tech connect, viseco & pixie. The tech connect are ok but limited in some of the projectors they work well with, the viseco unit we had kept getting itself knotted up but the pixies seem the most flexible atm what problems did you have?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've used the Tech Connect ones here and not had any problems (so far) other than sorting out the mounting of the control box and running the cable (the caretaker and I keep putting it off).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    what problems did you have?
    They just stopped working en masse and wouldn't control the projectors.
    We called the installers out and they reprogrammed them. They worked for a while then stopped again. Installers came out again. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    Eventually someone from the manufacturers came out and took a look. Same again.

This was a few years ago now, but out of about 25 installations only a couple still work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast